ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife Name Change within UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

s_Singh496
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Wife Name Change within UK

Post by s_Singh496 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:56 am

Hi All,

Me and my wife(dependent) are in UK on Tier 2 General Visa from last 2 years. Our visa are valid for another 3+ years, so eventually we will qualify for ILR.

But I am facing a huge issue with regards to my WIFE name. My Wife has only first name "Himanshi" and there is no Surname name to her. Even in her Indian passport "Given Name" is "Himanshi". In India this is OK, but in UK we are facing issues, like her bank made her name ". Himanshi", Council made her name as "Himanshi Himanshi". In our Shenzhen visa name is mentioned as "Himanshi Himanshi". Basically as Last name is Mandatory in UK/EU VISA/BRP/Council/Any other imp docs, the respective bodies are making her First name as her last name while some documents are putting a "." in the last name.

Recently, I found out because of this name mismatch issue, my wife has no credit history despite of having credit card with HSBC for 2 years. I am wondering this will also create problem in my ILR later.

I am thinking best way is to apply for a name change and add my surname "singh" with my wife name.

Can you please all let me know :-

1. Anyone in similar situation and faced this issue ?
2. Is name change is the best solution, if Yes, can anyone of you please share the process ?
3. Is name change is possible within UK or we need to visit India ?
4. Apart from Passport Name change, do we need to change the name in any other documents ?

Thanks
Sandeep

sarathml86
Newly Registered
India

Re: Wife Name Change within UK

Post by sarathml86 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm

I am going through exact same issues as you mentioned

My wife first name is the second name - We recieved bank account, ILR card etc based on this so never faced any issue but recently I decided to add my name to her second name which is now turning to be the worst and stupid thing I have ever done

Now her BRP card to everything else need changing and could cost a lot of money

My advice to you would be keep it as it is especially if you have recieved visa in the same name as in passport

Credit score has nothing to do on your name as long as you have maintained good credit history and have registered on the electoral as well

sarathml86
Newly Registered
India

Post by sarathml86 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Forgot to mention one more thing - As long as you have a marriage certificate (fron india or within uk) in english adding a surname is relatively easy !

s_Singh496
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by s_Singh496 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi @sarathml86 ,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It's really helpful.

Can you please clarify few more points for me ?

1. Some Bodies like Council put my Wife first and last name same (Hiamnshi Himanshi), her bank HSBC has her name as (. Himanshi), her BRP/Passport has name only Himanshi

Can you please let me know that when we will apply for ILR, will not this be problem as different docs have different names ? was anything like this was for you also ?

Also, what happens in case of credit history is that recently my wife applied for a small loan amount and it got rejected. It came to us as surprise, as my wife own a credit card with hsbc for 2+ years and never missed a payment, She is also registered with electoral etc .. upon further investigation, we find out that Loan amount rejected because Experian (Credit Agency) was not having any information from my wife name as she filled the application with "Himanshi Himanshi". We are so confused having different names at different places.

Our bigger concern is in case of ILR, will it not be a problem ? Although, She has never faced any issues in Schezen Visa, UK visa etc .. but still the concern prevails and your insight will be of great help and support.

Thanks
Sandeep