ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric card confusion. Do I have indefinite leave?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

conradelliot1
Newly Registered

Biometric card confusion. Do I have indefinite leave?

Post by conradelliot1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi

Since I was a child, I was placed on a 6 month visitors visa. I am an overstayer in the UK for 10 years.

I applied for indefinite leave three years ago. Although, I got into some trouble, was in jail for 8 months and I commited other offences.

I have a British child who has a medical condition which Home office are aware of.

A year ago, I was placed inside a detention centre. UKBA wanted to deport me, but I won my first and second tribunal. I won under human rights, but didn't win under immigration rules ( Don't know why).

I have recently been out from the detention centre, it has been nearly two months and I have received a biometric card application form for leave to remain.

I am confused. I'm not sure what type of leave it is. Though it just says leave to remain. So do I have limited leave to remain or indefinite? I thought I had to be in the UK legally for 6 years to apply for indefininte leave to remain for a british passport.

I don't even know what a biometric card is.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Re: Biometric card confusion. Do I have indefinite leave?

Post by Amber » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:00 am

At first sight, you'll have private life leave (limited leave to remain not indefinite) for 2.5 years on a 10 year route to settlement. Biometric basically means fingerprints and photos will be taken and stored on your card and the Home Office database. You'll have to enrol for such at the post office.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

conradelliot1
Newly Registered

Post by conradelliot1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 am

Amber_ wrote:At first sight, you'll have private life leave (limited leave to remain not indefinite) for 2.5 years on a 10 year route to settlement. Biometric basically means fingerprints and photos will be taken and stored on your card and the Home Office database. You'll have to enrol for such at the post office.
Hi Amber, thanks for replying.

I don't understand what you mean by a 10 year route to settlement? So after 2.5 years I can apply for indefinite leave to remain?? Or do I have to wait 10 years for a British passport?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 am

10 years until you can settle, extending every 2.5 years, then 11 until you can apply to naturalise unless you're married/civil partnered to a British person.

If you are the spouse/civil partner/akin of a British/settled person, it may be better to switch to FLR(M) as the route to settlement is 5 years. Although, there are A1 English and Financial Requirements.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

conradelliot1
Newly Registered

Post by conradelliot1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Amber_ wrote:10 years until you can settle, extending every 2.5 years, then 11 until you can apply to naturalise unless you're married/civil partnered to a British person.

If you are the spouse/civil partner/akin of a British/settled person, it may be better to switch to FLR(M) as the route to settlement is 5 years. Although, there are A1 English and Financial Requirements.

Thanks. But when I reapply after 2 years would HO ask me if I still see and support my kids? As I got my status because I see my kids.

- Would I have to pay to apply for a biometric card?

thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:50 pm

No I think your biometric enrolment letter will state no fee.

conradelliot1
Newly Registered

Post by conradelliot1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Amber_ wrote:No I think your biometric enrolment letter will state no fee.

Thanks. But when I reapply after 2 years would HO ask me if I still see and support my kids? As I got my status because I see my kids.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 am

You should try stick to one thread or at least give all the detail, especially about not seeing your kids anyore, so that you can get better advice.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ml#p991625
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.