ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Justice Minister's first interview - Extracts on Immigration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:48 am

BigAppleWoodenShoe wrote:I am not against Gaeltacht, I think the Irish should pursue it as it is part of their culture. But they have to understand that it is not an important part of life in Ireland.
Would it be fairer to say that it is not an important part of everyday life or day-to-day life in Ireland (for most people)?

fánacht
Newly Registered

Post by fánacht » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:50 am

Personally, I think it's only fair to expect that someone who wants to become a citizen should demonstrate some commitment to the culture. While it might be burdensome to require someone whose native language is not English to learn both English and Irish, I see no reason why a native English speaker shouldn't be expected to learn some Irish.

Of course, I'm more than a bit biased because I have learned a fair amount of Irish and I live in the Gaeltacht. (I'm not fluent yet, but I'm working on it.)

In fact, I would welcome anything that would clarify the naturalisation process. The whole thing's so effing mysterious. You apply, you wait a few years, every now and then you get asked for some additional information, and you hope for the best. No one will tell you how much longer you have to wait. It would be such a relief if someone said "here, learn Swahili, take this test, and if you pass, you will get citizenship." (Actually, I would like to learn some Swahili!)

What I would like to see:

I would like clear guidelines on the requirements for citizenship.

If the process continues to take months or years, I would like a clear explanation of the process (workflow) for processing applications.

If the process continues to take months or years, I would like to be able to log into a website and find out where my application is in the process. (For example, 'your application is at step 7 in the process. The Guardai are reviewing your reckonable residency. This step takes n weeks on average.')

And of course, I would like to see applications processed more quickly!

I told someone the other day that it feels like I asked someone to marry me three years ago, and I'm still waiting for the answer. Important things in my life are on hold until I know the answer. I keep having nightmares where I somehow end up back in the US, and I'm trying to find my way back home to Ireland.

limey

Post by limey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:57 am

Fanacht: Many international companies have set up European HQ in Ireland mainly because it is an English speaking country (as well as cheaper taxation). Although the Irish government is right to encourage the use of Irish to some extent, I'm certain they wouldn't want to lose that competitive advantage over other EU countries.

It's like saying if you want to settle in the UK you should learn some Welsh. I bet 0% of Irish immigrants into the UK know any Welsh. We wouldn't want any double standards now would we!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:00 pm

limey wrote:Fanacht: Many international companies have set up European HQ in Ireland mainly because it is an English speaking country (as well as cheaper taxation). Although the Irish government is right to encourage the use of Irish to some extent, I'm certain they wouldn't want to lose that competitive advantage over other EU countries.

It's like saying if you want to settle in the UK you should learn some Welsh. I bet 0% of Irish immigrants into the UK know any Welsh. We wouldn't want any double standards now would we!

fair point limey, but many of these people in these companies wont want to become irish citizens, they can alternatively apply for prement residency.

as for the welsh thing, not all, as you know, in the uk are of welsh nationality or descent. there are, as you know scots, english northern ireland jurisdictions who all have at some point there own traditions eg scottish have there own law system and culture similar to irish as they are from the celtic family. why would they need to know welsh?.what the welsh or the other people in the uk do is there business. as you know this is a seperate country. i very much doubt and i would feel that it is unfair for adults to be expected to learn irish.

however, i do not see any problem is making it compulsory for immigrant children who go to state/schools run by church trusts or committees (basically schools as you know them here) to learn to speak a few focal of as gaeilge when they start schooling, as irish is a core subject for irish children in primary and secondary school.

it might be light years away, but for many of ye to intergrate and settle here, you will be required to know irish in order to become e.g. a solicitor. that is just one of few examples.

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:11 pm

however, i do not see any problem is making it compulsory for immigrant children who go to state/schools run by church trusts or committees (basically schools as you know them here) to learn to speak a few focal of as gaeilge when they start schooling, as irish is a core subject for irish children in primary and secondary school.
Every child going to a public schools is taught Gaelic, no problem with that.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

limey

Post by limey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:49 pm

Walrus: I just used Welsh as an example. I could have used Cornish or Scots Gaelic.

If I lived in Ireland I would probably learn a few words of Irish myself. Teach it in schools by all means!