ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirements for spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sam_84

English requirements for spouse visa

Post by Sam_84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 am

Hey Guys

Could anyone help me with the following queries?

I am currently living and working in the UK. I am on Indefinite Leave to Remain. I got married 2 months ago in India. I am planning to apply for a spouse visa for my wife. I have the following doubts -

My wife had a Masters and Bachelors degree taught in English. Does she still need to take an English test for visa? Her MSc degree can be seen in the UKBA points calculator drop down of English section (but I didn't get any points for that while trying for Tier-4 visa on system). I found the text on UKBA website quite confusing-

at one place they say that you need A1 level in CEFR (which I understand is very basic test)

At another place they mention that degree should be in points based calculator and hence equivalent to UK bachelor's degree -

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -language/

I see a difference in these requirements. Can anyone suggest that she should take any English test or not?

Also, if I don't have a marriage certificate, can I present an affidavit?

PS - I have seen a similar post by someone before but didn't get the answer there.
Thanks
Sam

Rayking

Re: English requirements for spouse visa

Post by Rayking » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 am

Hi,
The best is for her to apply for statement of comparability and English language assessment, with that she doesn't have to write another test.
It's done by NARIC,just Google it.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 am

To second part of your question, pls don't risk it,get the marriage certificate, it's better to be patient and get everything than expecting these people to show being humane!
Affidavit? I doubt if this will work

Sam_84

Post by Sam_84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Many thanks for reply Rayking.

I was aware of the NARIC approval, but the problem in that is that they will just tell if the degree is comparable with UK Bachelor's level or not. They wont tell if it is equivalent to level A1 of CEFR (which is the minimum requirement and a much easier test)

You are right I shouldn't risk by submitting an Affidavit.

Cheers
Sam

Sam_84

Post by Sam_84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Many thanks for reply Rayking.

I was aware of the NARIC approval, but the problem in that is that they will just tell if the degree is comparable with UK Bachelor's level or not. They wont tell if it is equivalent to level A1 of CEFR (which is the minimum requirement and a much easier test)

You are right I shouldn't risk by submitting an Affidavit.

Cheers
Sam

harpreetjagdey
- thin ice -

Post by harpreetjagdey » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51 pm

UK Naric certificate shows the level of english in the degree course compared.
here's the link

http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/C ... ts/ELA.pdf

Sam_84

Post by Sam_84 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 am

Thanks Guys. I am in talks with NARIC once again. They just do the Bachelor for English assessment plus need a degree certificate with transcripts. My wife doesn't have a BSc degree certificate, as she never took from the college.

Sam

seeganesh
Newly Registered

Post by seeganesh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:59 am

Is UK naric statement of comparibility is enough to apply for settlement visa..... or we also need to apply for English language assessment ..... is both r important.... pls answer my query.

harpreetjagdey
- thin ice -

Post by harpreetjagdey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 am

you will need English language assessment in my opinion. else you could opt for an approved English test.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 pm

The SoC is enough with proof the degree was taught in English, e.g. Letter from awarding institution.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 pm

SOC,letter from institution and the degree certificate

seeganesh
Newly Registered

Post by seeganesh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply friends.

SAMISPOUSAL
India

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Please note well an affidavit is most certainly not acceptable in place of a major material document especially in Immigration, a process that is so strict and looking for the most pettiest excuse to fail you

In fact get two marriage certificates if you can and if possible..
one for the religious ceremony
and one from the registry office

Good luck
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

Sam_84

Post by Sam_84 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks Samispousal

The problem with getting marriage certificate in India is that it takes a long time. I did a mistake of not inviting a marriage Registrar in my wedding function. Now whenever I speak to any lawyer in India, they say that it will take 2-3 months to get it and then further 2-3 months to get a settlement spouse visa. This long time just irritates me and will ruin our future plans.

Also, somebody told me that I can get the marriage certificate from a court in Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh in India) in a few days. However, someone also told me that Visa authorities are a bit sceptical about the Ghaziabad court. However, I don't believe it because all courts should be same in terms of credibility. Does anyone on the forum has any experience to share?

Thanks
Sam

SAMISPOUSAL
India

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:02 pm

no no no sam
first get married in a religious ceremony ( for example the ARYA Samaj, who will give you the RELIGIOUS certificate there and then on the spot , of course they will ask for usual checks such as ID etc) then you take that religious certificate to the registry office and get the OFFICIAL certificate where YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE 30 DAYS NOTICE etc. and just simply get the certificate in a few days ....

IF you do not do the religious ceremony and only do the official office ceremony then yes you have to give notice and go through a lengthy process.....

ok hope this helps. good luck
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

seeganesh
Newly Registered

Post by seeganesh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 am

Hi friends, I am planning to apply for UK naric certificate... what are all the documents I need to send.... and I got masters degree..... whether I have to send both masters and bachelor's degree certificates or any 1. Thanks.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 am

When you fill the application online,they will tell you what you need to send.
It's usually your transcript, photocopy of your certificate, the online printed form.
I think it makes sense to send your degree,they don't really need the master stuff,you simply want to proof your degree is equivalent to UK one right?

seeganesh
Newly Registered

Post by seeganesh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

Yes @ ray king....... my first application was rejected on Dec 2012 and the appeal process took more than a year...... now I am planning to apply this April..... again I don't want to take any risk..... that's why clearing all my doubts..... I am waiting for more than 2 yrs to join my hubby....

SAMISPOUSAL
India

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 pm

My advice is phone them first

Sam_84

Post by Sam_84 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 am

SAMISPOUSAL wrote:no no no sam
first get married in a religious ceremony ( for example the ARYA Samaj, who will give you the RELIGIOUS certificate there and then on the spot , of course they will ask for usual checks such as ID etc) then you take that religious certificate to the registry office and get the OFFICIAL certificate where YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE 30 DAYS NOTICE etc. and just simply get the certificate in a few days ....

IF you do not do the religious ceremony and only do the official office ceremony then yes you have to give notice and go through a lengthy process.....

ok hope this helps. good luck

Thanks Samisousal. Are you sure that would work? I am confirming because I will have to specially go to India to get than done.

Sam

mustang390

Post by mustang390 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:16 pm

My Advice is DO NOT apply for Spouse Visa just because you have a Degree Taught in English and UK NARIC compatibility statement.

My Wife's Visa was rejected few month back just because of this. she has done MSc.

If you read the Guidelines it clearly says " Candidate must Hold an academic qualification recognized by UK NARIC to be the equivalent to the standard of Bachelor or Master Degree or PHd in the UK and CONFIRMED BY THEM AS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH"

I followed an advise on this forum and only sent the Degree + UK NARIC comparability statement + Letter from Uni stating degree was taught in English but they refused the application.

Now I am again in the same boat and sending fresh application this time I have Degree + UK NARIC statement of comparability + UK NARIC English proficiency letter which states that medium was English.

But I still have some doubt on the wordings on UK NARIC letter about English proficiency the Wordings are
"
"Level of English : The level of English for the above degree does not meet the requirement for the CEFR level C1

Additional Information: Although it is confirmed that English is the medium of instruction in the teaching and examination system of the department providing this award, it is unfortunately has not been possible to confirm that the necessary English language requirements for the CEFR Level C1 are met upon completion "

So I am still waiting for a better advice whether to submit these proofs or take the English exam instead.

seeganesh
Newly Registered

Post by seeganesh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Mustang, can you please confirm me that what are all the documents you have sent to naric for English language assessment. Thanks

mustang390

Post by mustang390 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:08 pm

seeganesh wrote:Hi Mustang, can you please confirm me that what are all the documents you have sent to naric for English language assessment. Thanks
I sent Original Degree + Letter from University stating Degree was done in English + DMCs (Detailed Marks Certificates)

and with Master you also need to send them Bachelor degree as well (its weird but they also require Bachelor degree as well )

kunal parikh

Post by kunal parikh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi Mustang

I have received the same message from UK NARIC. Its a problem with the requirement as home office asked for A1/B1 whereas UKNARIC check for C1 level only. I have called up today and they confirmed that UKBA has changed requirements and they currently dont check A1/B1 level. its really patheic as homeoffice is promoting UKNARIC and they dont know what they even are offering.

I am really confused as I dont know what to do here. Most people usually do both Statment of Comarability and english language assessment and they normally grant c1 level with that. friend of mine applied both and they confirmed it english lanaguage and bachelor degree equals to UK Bachelor degree. I dont know how it differes just for english lanaguage assessment.

I dont thik we can use this letter to support the application. do you know anything about english test? I thought that seems to be easy option rather going through this problem. I dont know how the test looks like as I was confident that I will get letter from UK Naric.

Please advise when you are planning to apply again for FLR(M)???

bangash
Newly Registered

Post by bangash » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Mustung,

Have you had any more luck with that.....I guess I waisted my money on this stupid thing as well.
I am in the process for apllying for citizenship and now I am stuck with this stupid letter stating exactly the same, though I have passed my IELTS in 2006 but they don't wants expired one, really annoying :(

It will be really helpful if you were successful in any way.....