ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New English Assesment master degree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Xmas2012
Newly Registered

New English Assesment master degree

Post by Xmas2012 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:00 pm

I have been trying get straight answer on this for a while. Please try to help.

I got Life in UK Test

Master of English from India.

letter from University confirming that Master was taught in English.

Statement of Comparability from UK Naric Confirming Master is Equivalent to master of UK.

As points no. 7 on attached file. I don't get points for my degree on PBS calculator. But got UK NARIC Comparability and letter from university confirming that master was taught in English)

Is this sufficient to meet English requirement?

Please note I don't get points on PBS calculator
and NARIC doesn't provide English assessment for Master degree. But I got letter from university confirming that master was taught in English.

1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?
We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should cover speaking and listening at B1 CEFR level or above, and be on the attached list. If you are not sure if your qualification is one of those on the list, you may wish to contact the college where you studied. We will also accept:
 ESOL qualifications taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland that include speaking and listening, at or above Entry level 3, and are regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), or the Welsh Government or the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). They must also be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications.
 A National Qualification in ESOL at SCQF levels 4 or above, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
2. Do I need to pass all parts of the qualification?
Some of the qualifications which we accept include speaking and listening as part of a wider qualification which also covers reading and writing skills, but other qualifications are available which concentrate on speaking and listening skills only. Those who are unable to demonstrate all 4 communicative skills are advised to study for a qualification that concentrates on speaking and listening skills only. We will not look at scores for each part of the test but the overall score, which must be equivalent to or above level.B1 CEFR
3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?
The expiry dates on the SELT list in Appendix O, do not apply to citizenship applications.
For Settlement applications, we will accept Level B1 qualification on the SELT list or an ESOL qualification on the OFQUAL register at Entry level 3 that has passed the expiry date, if:
The qualification has previously been accepted by us in connection with another immigration application, e.g. for entry clearance, or (if it is being presented for the first time) that is was taken in the UK, and is on the OFQUAL register.
4. I sent my documents for a previous application. Do I need to send them again?
Yes. Evidence that an English language requirement was met for entry clearance purposes is only held by the post abroad for a limited period. In addition, this information is not easily accessible to caseworkers in the UK. You should therefore send evidence of your qualification with your application.
Degree Qualifications
5. Will my degree meet the requirement?
If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:
- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or
- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.
6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?
UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded points for your degree, and an additional ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.
Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). (UK NARIC will only issue an ELA for a degree that is comparable to a UK degree, so it will not be necessary to also request a Statement of Comparability)
7. How do I show that my qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and was taught in English, if it is not recognised by the points calculator?
You can request a Statement of Comparability from UK NARIC and a letter from the university stating that the degree was taught in English

Just Wondering

Re: New English Assesment master degree

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 am

No, a letter from the university is not sufficient. If UK NARIC's Statement of Comparability does not state the course was taught in English and the PBS doesn't award points for English Skills for this degree then UKBA will not recognize the degree as being taught in English.

Xmas2012
Newly Registered

Post by Xmas2012 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply...

But on home office website I got as following

Question 7. How do I show that my qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and was taught in English, if it is not recognised by the points calculator?

Answer
You can request a Statement of Comparability from UK NARIC and a letter from the university stating that the degree was taught in English

Xmas2012
Newly Registered

Post by Xmas2012 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 pm

A letter confirming success in the life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either
A certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; or
If you have a degree taught in English:
A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or
If your degree is not on the points-based calculator, an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of the qualification, and an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming your name, the title of the degree, and showing the qualification was taught in English;

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 am

Ok - well, good luck. Let us know how you get on.

khanstudent
Newly Registered

Post by khanstudent » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:57 am

it is more than enough if you got a letter from naric that degree is equalent to uk bachelor and was thaught in English. I hv called naric and asked them about Ukba point based calculator and they hv replied that uk naric provide these services to Ukba and maintain this calculator for them.

Thanks