ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport surrender and PIO query

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

InUkOnHsmp

Passport surrender and PIO query

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Forum,

Some quick queries, inputs greatly appreciated:

1) On surrender form, there is a section for spouse name, which says as in Passport, but my passport does not have my wife's name. People have mentioned either writing it anyway, or writing NA, any clues which is the correct way?

2) PIO card photo requirements for babies - When applying for a British passport for our newborn, we could do with a photo with her eyes closed. We have more copies of the same photo, is it OK to apply for PIO with those photos, or do we need new ones with her eyes open?

3) PIO card date - I have read on the forum that when you apply for PIO card they give you a date on which your card can be collected. Is it a sure thing? Can I book flights etc based on the date given?

4) I also plan to apply for OCI once I get my PIO card, anyone is aware of how the timelines work when applying for OCI based on a PIO card?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

ban.s

Re: Passport surrender and PIO query

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:21 pm

1. you can leave blank
2. preferably with open eyes
3. no one in the forum can confirm that. usually the date is correct but you have to factor in unforeseen circumstances or delays
4. why would you want to apply PIO first and then apply for OCI instead of directly applying for OCI?

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am

1. you can leave blank
Thanks for the input ban.s, I have currently filled both forms with NA in that section based on previous input on the forum, hope this is OK?
2. preferably with open eyes
Thanks, I think I will be safe and get new photos with eyes open, not worth the risk.
4. why would you want to apply PIO first and then apply for OCI instead of directly applying for OCI?
The HCI website mentions estimated processing times for PIO as 2-4 weeks, and 4-6 weeks in exceptional cases. This is confirmed by various timelines on the forum. Also, I do not know for sure, but again from the forum it looks like in the case of PIO they stamp a date for you, when you can expect to get your PIO card (is this true?). This is very important and this helps me plan my trip better.

OCI on the other hand the website says within 6 weeks, but in the past I have seen this go upto 2-3 months.

I have to travel to India urgently as my mother is not doing too well, so I am trying to get the quickest visa possible to get there. I am going to be working from India for my UK company for sometime, so I cannot opt for a visit visa (IMO working on a visit visa is bordering on illegal).

Lastly, PIO->OCI is quite cheap, so not loads of money lost in the process.

Thoughts ban.s?

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:05 am

Also, for my eldest one, the photos are on a white background, the snappy snaps guys was very confused about what we needed for PIO, white background or light grey background, so we went for white. Is this OK?

Unfortunately there are no detailed photo guidance on the HCI website for this.

Thanks for inputs.

Regards

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:21 pm

With PIO I would just hang onto it until 15 years instead of changing to OCI. If you need to stay in India for longer than 6 months then you need to register with FRRO which is not a big challenge as such.

I personally don't see any benefit on moving from PIO to OCI in the short term. Both these routes are likely to merge into newly proposed OIC - so wait and watch and take a decision nearer to the time of your PIO expiry.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice ban.s, my only concern with the Indian government is that things change too quickly, and sometimes already existing arrangements may not be provided for. For instance if they stopped the OCI system, and I am stuck with PIO card forever, and by the time its time for renewal none of these exist, I will be in trouble.

BTW, what exactly is this registration thing, does the whole family need to go, or only I will have to go and register the whole family every 6 months?

Also, how is the PIO->OCI process, does it take as long as a fresh OCI in India?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:14 pm

good luck with your PIO and OCI applications. unfortunately i don't have answers to your other queries. for registration contact your local FRRO office in India.