ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions regarding spouse visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

locc0
Newly Registered

Questions regarding spouse visa

Post by locc0 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:49 am

Hi, i have read through many topics however, could not find answers that i was looking for and so here goes......

after a whirlwind romance I got married to my girlfriend early this year, only issue is that i am a uk national and she is an indian citizen. as she wanted to finish her masters we had decided that we would apply for spousal visa a bit later in the year, as i read somewhere that once an application has been approved, you are given 28 days to enter the UK. Also we were thinking of taking an extended holiday in india for a couple of months after she completed her masters. i would be grateful if someone can let me know the following:

- what are the current timings between approval of application and the date of when the appication was first submitted - in india? i have heard many different answers, but none from a reliable source.

- is it better to apply now and ask for a UK travel date which maybe in 6 months time rather than applying later?

thanks in advance
Bach

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:00 am

And did you go to the bia or home office site for your question?

Prem

Post by Prem » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:20 am

Depending on what Visa office you go to it varies, i do know as of last week it was 15 days in Chennai, if all the documentation is submitted correctly. Where will you be appyling?

Supplying all teh correct documentaion is vital, have you research all this as yet?

Most commonly it states 12 weeks from the date submitted. The Visa can be back dated up to 3 months, and as you say you have to enter the UK 28 days after the start date on the visa.

You have to apply 3 months before the intended travel date to the UK.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:54 am

SYH wrote:And did you go to the bia or home office site for your question?
That's what we are here for.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:12 am

Dawie wrote:
SYH wrote:And did you go to the bia or home office site for your question?
That's what we are here for.
OH stop, I just want to if he even checked

locc0
Newly Registered

Post by locc0 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:29 pm

Many thanks for all your responses.
Senior members, I had checked the BIA and the IND website but did not get specifics. I read a few months ago but since i understand rules have changed. At first point i checked the faq's on this forums and the sticky but did not see any answers that i was looking for, so opted to ask the question to get a personalised answer.

Prem, I will be applying from Bombay although i have been told applications from the state of Gujarat now go through Ahmedabad. As for the appropriate documents, i did some research a few months back and started to gather evidence (i must admit i was a bit naive and thought it was straight forward since i was a UK naitonal)...however i saw some posts in the forum that had slightly different requirements from pre April 2007.

greatly appreciate your continued help.
Bach