ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current KOL requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bale541
Newly Registered

Current KOL requirement

Post by bale541 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:06 am

I need some advice for current English requirement for citizenship.
I got my ILR in March 2013
I passed my life in the UK Test in 2011 that was included with my ILR application
I have passed my ESOL test from SQA in 2011 at level 4 and 5 that include listing,writing, reading and speaking. I did not include these certificate when I applied for settlement but I passed this test before my settlement. I included only Life in the UK test when I applied for ILR
My concern is that do I need to pass another level to demonstrate my English knowledge as I passed these test before my settlement?
See this paragraph
Web link of below paragraph
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk
""If you were granted settlement under the old rules
When an application for naturalisation is made you will need to satisfy the current KOLL requirement. For some people this will mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level.""

vishpb35

Re: Current KOL requirement

Post by vishpb35 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:28 pm

I am not a moderator, but my understanding is as follows wrt KOLL.

a) If your test is still valid and it satisfy CEFR grade for ILR requirement for english language, then you can show the same test results to satisy KOLL requirement. See if its still equivalent to CEFR grades as per UKBA standards.
b) Yes, it is safer to provide & satisfy English Language for your Settlement. You will be required to provide evidence/or pass English level knowledge. My friend is in similar situation and he is going for NARIC SOC and ELA assessments as a proof to satisfy KOLL.
c) Another option as mentioned by previous moderators is "Print out of Points Calculator and if you are awarded 10 points on Calculator then you satisfy English requirement. But i am not aware of the link on this forum that mentions the success story based on this PB calculator.

Cheers !

vishpb35

Re: Current KOL requirement

Post by vishpb35 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 pm

vishpb35 wrote: c) Another option as mentioned by previous moderators is "Print out of Points Calculator and if you are awarded 10 points on Calculator then you satisfy English requirement. But i am not aware of the link on this forum that mentions the success story based on this PB calculator.

Cheers !

This is correct, you can provide calculator points + degree as evidence for ELA Excerpt from email received from UKBA pdf
vishpb35 wrote: "6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded points for your degree, and an additional ten points for English language skill,
you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). (UK NARIC will only issue an ELA for a degree that is comparable to a UK degree, so it will not be necessary to also request a Statement of Comparability)"