ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel with non-British passport after citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Alex_London2
Newly Registered

Travel with non-British passport after citizenship ceremony

Post by Alex_London2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27 am

Hi guys,

I know that similar questions may be asked before, but could you please kindly advise on my situations as it is a bit more complex.
I recently received the approval for British citizenship (naturalisation), and the earliest ceremony I could book is mid April, which means that the earliest time I could submit my British passport application is mid April.

Unfortunately, I have to relocate for work to another country at the end of April. My questions are:
• The country of my current nationality does not allow dual citizenship, which means that in theory my non-British passport should become invalid after the citizenship ceremony? Would there be any issue if I travel with my non-British passport to the country of relocation (which is not the country of my current nationality, btw) in end of April?
• I would then need to return to the UK for the passport interview. Would I be allowed to return to the UK without British passport (but with the naturalisation certificate)? Would Border Agency question that I left the UK without British passport while I was already a British citizen? Would they question that I should no longer use the non-British passport as my country of current nationality does not allow dual citizenship?

Many thanks,
Alex

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Travel with non-British passport after citizenship cerem

Post by aruni4470 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:15 pm

You will normally have a grace period to travel with your non British passport after you become a British citizen. Check with your High commission.