ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC certificate not required if PBS recognises degree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sameeer

Re: NARIC certificate not required if PBS recognises degree

Post by sameeer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Life in UK and your Original Degree Certificate is sufficient ...

As long as your degree is seen on the points calculator its fine ... you DONT need anything from NARIC ... dont waste your money !

JAIRAMS72
Newly Registered

Post by JAIRAMS72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:35 pm

aruni4470 wrote:Check the education under attributes. If you get at least 20 points in there, you are good to go. Please be aware that it is not enough for the degree to be in the list, it should actually give you at least 20 points for education attribute and 10 for English language requirement.
Hi Aruni,

I seem to be a bit lost here. Would you be able to guide me please. I am using the following link for points-based calculator: https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces
Unless I am doing something wrong or missing a step, I am not able to see the 20 points for my degree. Is there another link that I am possibly unaware of. How do I get to see the attributes under education please. I would be grateful for your reply. Thanks in anticipation.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Try and use the points based calculator as a tier 1 applicant.

Below is the link to the pdf http://www.sendspace.com/file/kvkuyc

JAIRAMS72
Newly Registered

Post by JAIRAMS72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi Aruni,

Just another question please. I am planning to apply for my ILR as a Tier 2 (General) applicant with my wife as PBS Dependant. The "Who can use the points-based calculator" page on the points-based calculator link is not clear as to whether PBS dependants can use that or not. Can we still use that to demonstrate to UKVI that my wife's qualification is up to the mark? I would be grateful for your reply.

Regards,

Jai

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Jai,

We are just trying to check if the degree is being recognised and gives the required points. Using it as a tier 1 applicant should not be a problem. If you use it as a tier 2 applicant, you will not be able to see if you get atleast 20 points for education. Your wife should be able to use it as well.

All the best ..

JAIRAMS72
Newly Registered

Post by JAIRAMS72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi Aruni,

Thank you for your reply. If I've understood you correctly, we operate the calculator as though we are Tier 1 applicants (although in reality I am a Tier 2(General) applicant) merely to demonstrate that our respective degrees get at least 20 points and 10 points under English respectively (I think the English bit is available operating as a Tier 2 applicant). Whew! I think you've just taken a weight off my shoulders :-). Thanks once again.

Kind Regards,

Jai

vishme6

Post by vishme6 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for my ILR. I did raise a new topic earlier, but realized there is already a related topic.

I have done my Bachelor of Engineering from Mumbai University (4 years) and my wife has done her Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (5 years). After reading the posts, I think I need to provide these docs for both of us:
- University Degree Certificate in English
- Letter from College confirming degree was taught in English
- PBS calculator proof.

I already get 30 points for degree and 10 points for English language when I use PBS calculator as I applied for Tier 1 visa on 18Mar2009. However my wife joined me after few months.

How do I prove the points for English Language for my dependent wife? She applied for her TIER 1 dependent in July 2009 when the rules were changed and Bachelors degree was no longer awarded any points?

Do we have to produce a UK NARIC letter for her or she is applicable to the rules when I applied my Tier 1 visa for first time.

Thanks,
Vish

Jayag
Newly Registered

Post by Jayag » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Vish,

Bachelor of Homeopathic is a Bachelor's degree, so if you select Bachelor's degree (Ordinary/Pass)/ Honors as applicable. You should get 30 points if the university is there in the Awarding Institution list. Give it a try before applying for a NARIC certificate.
In her case, you are using this tool only to prove that her degree is equivalent to UK bachelor's degree and it has required point.

Best Regards
Jaya

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:47 pm

vishme6 wrote:Hi,

I am planning to apply for my ILR. I did raise a new topic earlier, but realized there is already a related topic.

I have done my Bachelor of Engineering from Mumbai University (4 years) and my wife has done her Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (5 years). After reading the posts, I think I need to provide these docs for both of us:
- University Degree Certificate in English
- Letter from College confirming degree was taught in English
- PBS calculator proof.

I already get 30 points for degree and 10 points for English language when I use PBS calculator as I applied for Tier 1 visa on 18Mar2009. However my wife joined me after few months.

How do I prove the points for English Language for my dependent wife? She applied for her TIER 1 dependent in July 2009 when the rules were changed and Bachelors degree was no longer awarded any points?

Do we have to produce a UK NARIC letter for her or she is applicable to the rules when I applied my Tier 1 visa for first time.

Thanks,
Vish

Please check once again that the points calculator is awarding points for education and English language as the NARIC keeps updating the calculator. You can do the same for your wife as well. Print outs of PBS calculator should be good enough.

girish2010
Newly Registered

Post by girish2010 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 pm

I had recently applied using NCS and i was told that we need to show UK NARIC letter along with our degree certificates. Its always a risk of taking PBS calculator print out.

As we deal with council, they may not be updated with PBS calculator and we may end up in difficult situation...

mates, prepare yourself well before you give in ur application.... it is costly

Ahem

Post by Ahem » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:23 pm

girish2010 wrote:I had recently applied using NCS and i was told that we need to show UK NARIC letter along with our degree certificates. Its always a risk of taking PBS calculator print out.

As we deal with council, they may not be updated with PBS calculator and we may end up in difficult situation...

mates, prepare yourself well before you give in ur application.... it is costly
Council not being updated with PBS calculator doesnt matter as they are mere facilitator for our application, i,e, they will collect and forward it across to home office where they have to adhere to what they mention .... so in short if you show up on PBS calculator only the printout is sufficient along with degree certificate.

CD_April2013ILR

Post by CD_April2013ILR » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Please check the below website... Hope it gives some clarity about this issue

https://www.gov.uk/english-language

Regards
CD

appsmaje
Newly Registered

Post by appsmaje » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:39 am

Hi all,

My wife is my dependent and her degree is recognized in the pbs.
using the calculator for tier 1, i get the following questions:

How would you like to claim points for English language skills?
I am a national from a majority English speaking country
(does not apply)
I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English
(did not apply for NARIC certificate)
I have passed an approved English language test
(did not take an exam)
I have already proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application
(she has not done this in the past because she was dependent of mine)
I do not want to claim points for English language skills (your application will be refused, unless your assessment refers to a settlement application - see Help below)
(obviously not this.)

so what do you choose to get the english language 10 points then for dependents?

assuming that this printout of pbs calculator still holds..
"a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English"

thanks!

Jayag
Newly Registered

Post by Jayag » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:48 pm

If your degree is there in PBS, it is comparable to a UK Bachelor degree/ master's degree as the case may be. As PBS is maintained by UK NARIC.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Please note it is NOT enough if the degree is in PBS calculator it should get 20 points at least for education and 10 for English language requirement.

softmind82

Post by softmind82 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi

When i switched my immigration status from pws to Tier 1 General on October 2010, I was able to get 30 points toward my Post graduate Diploma in Business Adminsitration ( Level 7 ) and got my tier 1 sorted that time.

Now i need to apply for naturalization and it is not giving me any points towards the point base calculator, but my collage is still listed on the calculator.

Please advise if i can use the 2010 assessment when i applied the Tier 1.

Despite all that i have the following qualification.

1. Bsc computer sciences from Preston University Pakistan
2. Post Graduate Business Administration Level 7 Diploma from UK
3. Also i have got credit hours for my MA Management from South bank University but did not finish my dissertation and did not get the degree yet and got the credit hours in hand toward it.

Please advice regarding the points and if there is no alternate then is that worth comparing with NAric with all these qualification and credit hours in hand.

Please advice i am so confused at the moment.

majic

Post by majic » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:47 am

Hello,

If one was submitting PBS printout showing 10 Points being granted for English Language;

What option would you select in the AN1 form?

Please advice

Thanks

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:49 am

Hi All,
Sorry to hijack this thread, but thought it would be relevant.
My immigration History - WP -> Tier1 -> ILR , now eligible for Cizenship.
Regarding English Language requirement, in PBS
Qualifications - My Master's degree scores 35 Points and my Bachelors "0"
English Skills - Both get "10" points.
Can I show my Master degree only and satisfy this requirement ?
In PBS Calculator (Selections) - Please clarify if my selections below are correct
Select the Tier for which you are applying. - Tier 1 (High-Value-migrants)
Select the category of Tier 1 for which you are applying. - Tier1 (General)
Where are you applying from? - Inside the United Kingdom with permission to enter or stay
What type of application are you making? -Extending your stay in the United Kingdom
Enter the date of your first successful Tier 1 application. - March 2010
And now , under Qualification
I have done my Bachelor in Commerce so selected - Bachelors degree(Ordinary/Pass)
Kind regards
Raj

deepujames123
Newly Registered

Post by deepujames123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for naturalisation for british citizonship. Has anyone here successfully applied for Naturalisation with Points Based Calculator print out instead of a NARIC certificate for your degree as a proof for English language?
(Note : After rule change in Oct 2013)

Thanks
DJ

vishme6

Post by vishme6 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks to all of you for responding to my post. Apologies for responding a bit late.

To use the PBS calculator for my wife (Tier 1 dependent) applying ILR, she has to select the following:
1. Select the Tier for which you are applying. - Tier 1 High value migrants
2. Select the category of Tier 1 for which you are applying - Tier 1 general
[b]3.Enter the date of your first successful Tier 1 application. - 18Mar2009 (THIS IS MY DATE OF TIER 1 APPLICATION. MY WIFE HAD MADE AN APPLICATION IN AUG 2009.)[/b]
4. Do you want to claim points for your age?
Yes or No? If yes, do I have to put my age at first application?
5. Please check the attachment to see the selections are ok? [attachment=0]Qualifications_PBS.PNG[/attachment]
[b]6. How would you like to claim points for English language skills?
Should I select "I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English"[/b]
7. Should I be filling the rest of the sections in the PBS calculator?
Attachments
Qualifications_PBS.PNG
Qualifications_PBS.PNG (8.07 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

spui
Newly Registered

Post by spui » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:40 am

I had made an application using just the printouts from the PBS calculator and had then received a letter asking for Certificates of comparability from NARIC

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1008591

This apparently isn't a unique situation and some one else had the same problem for which they were specifically told that the printouts of the PBS calculation form is not enough.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 57-20.html

I am not sure if we were just the unlucky ones.

The certificate of comparability is available for GBP 55 and arrives 10-15 days after application. I had to use the 48 hour turnaround service which cost approximately GBP 200. So if you have time to make an application, it may make sense to get these before hand.

Also if they do not accept the documents as they will write you a letter explaining what other documents you require to satisfy the KOLL requirements. The only problem is that in such cases you do not have sufficient time for options apart from the letter from NARIC.

antouk

Post by antouk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:43 pm

I made a mistake, I didnt show points for the degree, just took the printout from PBS calculator showing points for english language.

They have come back to me asking for NARIC comparability along with letter from the University that the degree is taught in english.

I will not be able to send them the University letter as it was a foreign degree. Can i send them the PBS printout showing points for my degree and english language? Though they have not given me this option.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

akash08

Post by akash08 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:25 pm

antouk wrote:I made a mistake, I didnt show points for the degree, just took the printout from PBS calculator showing points for english language.

They have come back to me asking for NARIC comparability along with letter from the University that the degree is taught in english.

I will not be able to send them the University letter as it was a foreign degree. Can i send them the PBS printout showing points for my degree and english language? Though they have not given me this option.
what are you doing now?? I am on the same boat but I have not received any communication yet. I applied for both compatibility and ELA via NARIC website yeaterday. The recent experience reported in this forum shows they just do not consider PBS any more and I am trying to be prepared for the worst.

I badly wish there is someone who has the money and time to challenge this ludicrous requirement. Proved that I have a comparable degree during Tier, Tier 1 extension and ILR and I have to still prove it again. Proved English language competency via all the above 3 and again I have to prove it?

It is just another way of making money..

antouk

Post by antouk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:41 pm

akash08 wrote:
antouk wrote:I made a mistake, I didnt show points for the degree, just took the printout from PBS calculator showing points for english language.

what are you doing now?? I am on the same boat but I have not received any communication yet. I applied for both compatibility and ELA via NARIC website yeaterday. The recent experience reported in this forum shows they just do not consider PBS any more and I am trying to be prepared for the worst.

I badly wish there is someone who has the money and time to challenge this ludicrous requirement. Proved that I have a comparable degree during Tier, Tier 1 extension and ILR and I have to still prove it again. Proved English language competency via all the above 3 and again I have to prove it?

I understand your frustration as i am in the same boat. But i still believe they are going by the guidelines, i read their requirements carefully and it states that :

You’ll need to provide your original degree certificate and 1 of the following:

- a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English

- an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English

- an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (excepting Canada)

Just to be safe , i am going to send them both NARIC certificate and PBS printout showing points for degree and language.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

akash08

Post by akash08 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:17 pm

antouk wrote:
akash08 wrote:

I understand your frustration as i am in the same boat. But i still believe they are going by the guidelines, i read their requirements carefully and it states that :

You’ll need to provide your original degree certificate and 1 of the following:

- a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English

- an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English

- an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (excepting Canada)

Just to be safe , i am going to send them both NARIC certificate and PBS printout showing points for degree and language.
Read what tom.tom has said. Even after sending both he has been asked NARIC statement of compatibility. When i spoke to NARIC today and discussed which one is what, the guy asked what is mentioned in Your UKBA letter which clearly shows UKBA sending hundrwads of such letters nowadays and people are reaching NARIC with SOS calls.