ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

REASON TO SURRENDER PAKISTAN CITIZENSHIP

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

layla1234
Newly Registered

REASON TO SURRENDER PAKISTAN CITIZENSHIP

Post by layla1234 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm

I recently got British citizenship I also hold Pakistani citizenship now I have dual citizenship.
I want to surrender ( renunciation ) of Pakistani citizenship.
I visited Pakistan embassy along with the required Forms they also asked to give in writing a valid reason for renunciation of Pakistani citizenship because Pakistan allows Dual citizenship . But I Still wants renunciation of Pakistani citizenship and want to keep only British .

Any advise please what possible reasons can be to ask for renunciation of Pakistan citizenship or I just simply write that I am over 18 and its my decision to surrender Pakistani citizenship.

Will they reject my application for renunciation if I give this simple reason?

any sample letter of reason some one ever gave for renunciation will be much appreciated

thanks

segs2tier1

Re: REASON TO SURRENDER PAKISTAN CITIZENSHIP

Post by segs2tier1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 pm

You were born there, are you so embarrassed of being of a Pakistani origin? How would you change the place of birth section on your passport which says YOU WERE BORN THERE. How will you get rid of your Pakistani accent?

Don't act stupid and keep it, nothing wrong with having two nationalities when your country allows it. Looks like you are a victim of some complex and for reasons beyond my understanding you are just embarrassed to be a Pakistani. Giving up your Pakistani nationality will never change who you really are, you cannot change the way you look and talk, it is simple as that.

**Edited by Moderator.

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 pm

segs2tier1 wrote:People like you disgust me.

You were born there, are you so embarrassed of being of a Pakistani origin? How would you change the place of birth section on your passport which says YOU WERE BORN THERE. How will you get rid of your Pakistani accent?

Don't act stupid and keep it, nothing wrong with having two nationalities when your country allows it. Looks like you are a victim of some complex and for reasons beyond my understanding you are just embarrassed to be a Pakistani. Giving up your Pakistani nationality will never change who you really are, you cannot change the way you look and talk, it is simple as that.
Relax, if you don't have any advice why are you beating on the person who is simply asking a question?

To the OP: Why are you giving up your nationality? Afaik Pakistan does not have any mandatory military service or anything, is there a specific reason?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 pm

There is absolutely no reason to be so judgmental on these forums. The OP has asked a question and needs advice, not an opinionated rant.

I'm no expert on renunciation of citizenship, but I would simply state, as you have mentioned, that as an adult, you feel that being normally resident in the UK, it is not appropriate to maintain another citizenship, especially as you would not be able to fulfil obligations due to that nation, etc.

At the end of the day, citizenship is an expression of loyalty to the ideals and values of a nation and if one feels himself/herself wanting in positive affection to the nation, it is best to courteously "consciously uncouple".

layla1234
Newly Registered

Post by layla1234 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 pm

segs2tier1 wrote:People like you disgust me.

Hey calm down and stop misjudging peoples did i mentioned any where that i am embarrassed of being a Pakistani ? so why the hell you are assuming things by yourself . i believe the peoples like you Disgust others because you are not mature enough to guide you are only good in criticism. i simply choose Britain to live my life i wanted to be loyal and dedicated to this country having a simple straight life of one standard and don't wanted to be mixed up of double standard & double cultures that is why i don't wanted to be associated with an other citizenship it is as simple as it is but for the Pakistan High Commission they need a logical reason not the sentimental and that is why i asked MATURE members of the forum to give a better advise or to guide me what should i write in the letter.

little_brain

Post by little_brain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:17 am

Hi mate,

I believe your question is quite valid and there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. The colour of my skin and my accent have nothing to do with renouncing my nationality, I can speak like natives by the way so I don't have any sort of complex or anything along those lines. Anyway, I am planning to do the same thing in a few months time, break ties with Pakistan for good, I have my own reasons.

Have you asked the Pakistani HC what they consider as a valid reason for such applications, they must be able to give some sort of guidance. I hate to admit it but I can't think of a reason myself so, how your application proceeds might even help me in time.

Keep us posted man, looking forward to hear ideas and I would definitely suggest if I can come up with something :wink:

TC,

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:42 am

Don't really understand what difference will it really make if you give up other country nationality when they do clearly allow it unless you have fear of being deported back since Theresa May has the powers to strip off citizenship for any suspect whose actions are deemed "seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom."

I do agree with segs2tier1
How would you change the place of birth section on your passport which says YOU WERE BORN THERE
He is also correct in what he has stated but I believe that at the end of the day it your choice and you are free to do what you like. We cannot and should not condemn you for the choices that you make in your life.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:47 am

This is a warning to people e.g. segs2tier1, we will not tolerate people insulting other people because their views are different, people can and will face an immediate ban for such behaviour.

On another note, someone may wish to have only one nationality e.g. they may have greater protection if they were to become stateless upon loss of British Nationality. You do not know the reasons and should not judge. The OP should be able to just complete the necessary forms, a reason for renunciation should not be necessary.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:33 am

Amber_ wrote:The OP should be able to just complete the necessary forms, a reason for renunciation should not be necessary.
I agree with everything you said, and the other opinions expressed here, except perhaps this. A sovereign nation has rights as well as the individual. I do, in general, believe that in most situations, individual rights easily trump those of nations. But there are some situations, such as who is allowed to enter and leave the country, who is allowed to stay and for what reasons, and who is allowed to claim citizenship and who can not make such a claim, that are strictly within the province of a nation's rights. It is not, in my opinion, unreasonable to ask a citizen for a reason as to why they want to give up that citizenship, and to even say 'no'.

little_brain

Post by little_brain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:50 pm

I just came across this idea for you, it may be a silly reason but for any reasonable person or authority, it could count as a reasonable reason ( :wink: pun intended) Here goes...

Just tell them that you don't agree with majority of the policies of Pakistani Government on majority of international and national issues and since you think that you are in no position to be able to contribute towards a change, you have made the decision to cut ties with the country.

Be careful though, it might help you renounce but if you have to travel in the future to Pakistan, they might be vindictive when it comes to granting you a visa or they might even pronounce you 'persona non grata' for criticizing Pakistan (hey, we all know how the govt is over there). I don't know if they can lawfully do that or not but just an idea and a word of caution.

Let me know of what you think and anyone else for that matter who is reading...

TC...

layla1234
Newly Registered

Post by layla1234 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:01 pm

[quote="lynxukauq"] unless you have fear of being deported back since Theresa May has the powers to strip off citizenship for any suspect whose actions are deemed "seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom."

Dear neither i have fear of being deported back nor my actions are deemed "seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom."

more over for your knowledge if you surrender your citizenship ( renunciation) with your own wish it does not give you protection of being stateless and do not stop strip off citizenship or deportation .

Theresa May powers to strip off citizenship can only stop if your country of origin automatically cancel your citizenship on getting British citizenship common example is India , Iraq etc there law require you to must surrender their citizenship while getting British Citizenship .if you surrender your Citizenship with your own wish while dual was allowed you don't fall in the category of stateless person so you may be asked to re apply to get it back in the event of Theresa May action .

harry7476

Post by harry7476 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:07 pm

I think kudos to you for trying to deal with the situation of being in a dual nationality situation. I am an Indian and on the path of citizenship but unhappy somewhere as my blue passport will have to be surrendered. I envy Pakistani citizens as well as those of other countries where you can keep dual citizenship.

I am well integrated in the community here but i don't know if I will ever be at peace with the transition of citizenship. I have my reasons to take up BC and i am happy with that and don't regret the decision.

Good that you have found out a way of dealing with ur dual situation as per your comfort. Best of luck.

Hope people stop disagreeing in the manner that they have done in this message chain. This is an excellent forum and the focus should be on advise rather than criticism.

segs2tier1

Post by segs2tier1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Amber_ wrote:This is a warning to people e.g. segs2tier1, we will not tolerate people insulting other people because their views are different, people can and will face an immediate ban for such behaviour.

On another note, someone may wish to have only one nationality e.g. they may have greater protection if they were to become stateless upon loss of British Nationality. You do not know the reasons and should not judge. The OP should be able to just complete the necessary forms, a reason for renunciation should not be necessary.
I guess I should have given you guys a bit of back ground to why I responded in such a way. Ok - for the sake of others I should responded slightly differently but I got a bit pissed off with what she had to say hence I responded in such a way. It is fine that she can do anything she likes but what she said insulted me as well and here its how..

There is a class of people in Pakistan in cities such as Lahore and Karachi that is considered belonging to an elite class based on their day to day lives and shamefully all of them are embarrassed to be called Pakistanis. They try their out most to distance them selves from the very country they live in, they speak English at home (which is laughable btw), do all things with in their reach to mirror what is done in EU, USA etc, attend secret night clubs, take drugs.. You know what I mean. How do I know this, well, I am a Pakistani my self and have lived and worked with these people.

I find it very insulting as well when some one like them refuses to accept where they come from and shows disrespect to the very culture they were born in. Its kind of saying that, yeah, I am finally out of the ghetto, I should have never been there in the first place and oh btw, you all are below me.

I am sorry for the rant but I had to say this because it touched a nerve when I read her post and reminded me some bitter memories.
layla1234 wrote: Hey calm down and stop misjudging peoples did i mentioned any where that i am embarrassed of being a Pakistani ? so why the hell you are assuming things by yourself . i believe the peoples like you Disgust others because you are not mature enough to guide you are only good in criticism. i simply choose Britain to live my life i wanted to be loyal and dedicated to this country having a simple straight life of one standard and don't wanted to be mixed up of double standard & double cultures that is why i don't wanted to be associated with an other citizenship it is as simple as it is but for the Pakistan High Commission they need a logical reason not the sentimental and that is why i asked MATURE members of the forum to give a better advise or to guide me what should i write in the letter.
I am calm and I am not judging you either, I am just looking at your reasoning and justification. I find it funny when you say that you do not want to have double standards and double cultures! Since when it says that having two nationalities means having double standards when it is totally legal to do so by your original country? Also, what do you mean by having double cultures? You are telling me that all of a sudden you are going to start living differently? How do you do that? Can you teach me? Look, based on what you have said I still think there is something not right ;)

As to what to write to the high commission, I will be careful (and I am being honest here). You do not want to write something silly because if some thing happens believe me they will give you a hard time, they can literally refuse you entry to Pakistan ever again. Because what you tell them can insult them as well, don't you understand something called Pride?

Anyways good luck with your application.

little_brain

Post by little_brain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:35 pm

segs2tier1 wrote: There is a class of people in Pakistan in cities such as Lahore and Karachi that is considered belonging to an elite class based on their day to day lives and shamefully all of them are embarrassed to be called Pakistanis. They try their out most to distance them selves from the very country they live in, they speak English at home (which is laughable btw), do all things with in their reach to mirror what is done in EU, USA etc, attend secret night clubs, take drugs.. You know what I mean. How do I know this, well, I am a Pakistani my self and have lived and worked with these people.
See, this is one of the things that force me to distance myself from Pakistan, you have painted everyone (atleast most of the 2 big city dewellers) with the same brush. Absolute zero freedom of expression if someone doesn't want to board the bandwagon of the pride and patriotism, as if to say, "You are only allowed to love, anything else and you are a traitor!!!". (Americans are no different)

I am a city boy myself, born and raised in the heart of Lahore, NEVER took drugs, NEVER went to secret nightclubs, NOT elite class, DIDN'T speak english at home. My reason to renounce my nationality of birth, well one of the reasons i should say, is that I just don't like that place. The pride you are talking about may exist for most people coming from most nationalities but as I said, I have my own reasons not to feel proud but to feel the other way. Anyhow, I don't want an argument with you or anyone for that matter as your reply wasn't even targeted at me. You have he right to feel proud and happy and I am not being sarcastic here, I wish I could feel the same about Pakistan but I don't. Oh by the way, since you have the right to be proud of being pakistani because it was the country of your birth, similiarly, I have an equal right to criticise the country and feel angry because I was born there too...so i would say its a love hate relationship but I am in my right to feel however I want.

Good advice by the way at the end, they may bar you from ever entering Pakistan, same as I said above.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:21 pm

My husband, being Pakistani, often tells me Pakistan would be the best place in the world to live (it is beautiful) if it wasn't for the society. I can't really comment so I only go by what he tells me, that is, immense corruption, hypocrisy and police beatings. My husband has both British and Pakistan nationality and still visits and loves his Pakistan. However, I'm not so sure I could be easily persuaded to acquire Pakistan nationality. Which, is rather easy for a British National (an investment of £30,000) or for me, much cheaper as I'm married to a Pakistan National.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

little_brain

Post by little_brain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Amber_ wrote:My husband, being Pakistani, often tells me Pakistan would be the best place in the world to live (it is beautiful) if it wasn't for the society. I can't really comment so I only go by what he tells me, that is, immense corruption, hypocrisy and police beatings. My husband has both British and Pakistan nationality and still visits and loves his Pakistan. However, I'm not so sure I could be easily persuaded to acquire Pakistan nationality. Which, is rather easy for a British National (an investment of £30,000) or for me, much cheaper as I'm married to a Pakistan National.
I guess since you have inside information :wink: there is really no point trying to explain why some people, myself included, want to almost sever ties with that country. Your husband is cent percent right, I still go there to see my parents but normally 2 weeks is all it takes to want to run away from that place and the remaining 2 weeks i spend waiting for my flight back home...(ah good old blighty :mrgreen: )

layla1234
Newly Registered

Post by layla1234 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:34 pm

segs2tier1 wrote:
Amber_ wrote:This is a warning to people e.g. segs2tier1, we will not tolerate people insulting other people because their views are different, people can and will face an immediate ban for such behaviour.

I guess I should have given you guys a bit of back ground to why I responded in such a way. Ok - for the sake of others I should responded slightly differently but I got a bit pissed off with what she had to say hence I responded in such a way. It is fine that she can do anything she likes but what she said insulted me as well and here its how..

There is a class of people in Pakistan in cities such as Lahore and Karachi that is considered belonging to an elite class based on their day to day lives and shamefully all of them are embarrassed to be called Pakistanis. They try their out most to distance them selves from the very country they live in, they speak English at home (which is laughable btw), do all things with in their reach to mirror what is done in EU, USA etc, attend secret night clubs, take drugs.. You know what I mean. How do I know this, well, I am a Pakistani my self and have lived and worked with these people.

I find it very insulting as well when some one like them refuses to accept where they come from and shows disrespect to the very culture they were born in. Its kind of saying that, yeah, I am finally out of the ghetto, I should have never been there in the first place and oh btw, you all are below me.

I am sorry for the rant but I had to say this because it touched a nerve when I read her post and reminded me some bitter memories.
layla1234 wrote: Hey calm down and stop misjudging peoples did i mentioned any where that i am embarrassed of being a Pakistani ? so why the hell you are assuming things by yourself . i believe the peoples like you Disgust others because you are not mature enough to guide you are only good in criticism. i simply choose Britain to live my life i wanted to be loyal and dedicated to this country having a simple straight life of one standard and don't wanted to be mixed up of double standard & double cultures that is why i don't wanted to be associated with an other citizenship it is as simple as it is but for the Pakistan High Commission they need a logical reason not the sentimental and that is why i asked MATURE members of the forum to give a better advise or to guide me what should i write in the letter.
I am calm and I am not judging you either, I am just looking at your reasoning and justification. I find it funny when you say that you do not want to have double standards and double cultures! Since when it says that having two nationalities means having double standards when it is totally legal to do so by your original country? Also, what do you mean by having double cultures? You are telling me that all of a sudden you are going to start living differently? How do you do that? Can you teach me? Look, based on what you have said I still think there is something not right ;)

As to what to write to the high commission, I will be careful (and I am being honest here). You do not want to write something silly because if some thing happens believe me they will give you a hard time, they can literally refuse you entry to Pakistan ever again. Because what you tell them can insult them as well, don't you understand something called Pride?

I should must say that you are a proven an immature person as you still cannot think any other reason than being embarrassed of the culture & country beside this you are yourself insulting the country of your birth . for you kind knowledge i myself lived there quite a few years and also mixed up with the so called by you the Elite Class i haven't seen a single example in any class of Pakistan who is embarrassed of being Pakistani because pakistani culture is very pure culture with good moral values and that is the reason most of British Asian parents try to impose Pakistani culture to their next generation which create trouble and double standard in young ones .
The class you are painting as embarrassed class is not any class it is in fact a stage of youth when almost every teenager want to express him/herself most common way is to look different to stand out of the crowd and these group of teens exist every where & in every culture haven't you seen many of British English teens trying to copy African / American styles so according to your philosophy should we set our minds that they are embarrassed of being English.Yes some time there are groups of people who are fed up of system of that country and to my knowledge these groups are every where i personally know few peoples who are not happy with British System recently i have conversation with one of my Hungarian friend she is quite annoyed with the system of Hungary so she has moved here to live her life she even don't want to talk about Hungary as she don't had good past with her own mother while she was there . does it mean she is embarrassed . Peoples have different reasons according to their past and social ties

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:30 am

I very much doubt any society is 'pure'. Take 5 minutes and find out the most frequently searched terms on google in Pakistan. I myself have often been embarrassed by English people (e.g. The riots a few years back) and I'm entitled to such opinion without insulting feedback.

As this thread is becoming destructive I'm locking it.