ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR status retention

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wrizvi
Newly Registered

PR status retention

Post by wrizvi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian and my non-Canadian wife has a PR card (since 2012). We both live together overseas, and have no plans in the foreseeable future to move to Canada, though we do visit at least once every two years. I want her to maintain her status and ability to travel to Canada, and we've been brainstorming the best ways to go about ensuring that. Should we get her a travel document? On the Canadian Immigration website entitled 'Applying for a travel document (permanent resident abroad) (IMM 5529)' it says we can even get a multiple-entry travel document if we so request in a cover letter, though I wonder what kinds of conditions would we have to meet to be eligible for that? Or should we simply apply for a new PR card when the time comes?

Also (I do apologize for rambling on), we have nothing to hide, but we want to make sure we're not saying anything at the port-of-entry every time we visit that will raise undue suspicions of any sort. During last year's visit, the passport officer was especially inquisitive about what our plans about moving to Canada were. Considering our case, can passport officers ever revoke her entry into Canada? I thought, at least for now according to the current laws, that that wasn't/isn't possible? Should we just be blatantly honest during next year's trip and say we have no plans to move and that that is in line with the law (her preserving PR status that is)?

dadageer
Mood:

Re: PR status retention

Post by dadageer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:39 pm

As far as I know your wife must stay in Canada for 2 years out of 5 years to maintain her PR status. If she fails to do that then her PR status will be revoked. Sorry I don't know about other details you have asked.
Not all those who wander are lost...

neoseal
Member of Standing

Re: PR status retention

Post by neoseal » Fri May 02, 2014 1:27 am

There is no need to worry, if you are Canadian Citizen and your PR wife is accompanying you. Her PR status is good, regarding on coming back to Canada, if the immigration officer asks, tell that husband is Canadian citizen and as per immigration law wife can accompany him outside Canada and still count the number of days outside Canada as if in Canada. Please follow the link for full details.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... #appendixA

Hope this helps.