ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel To India With ILR & Citizenship Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sidd12
Newly Registered

Travel To India With ILR & Citizenship Certificate

Post by sidd12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Hello,

Sorry, if I am asking this again.

We will get our UK Citizenship Cert in May and are planning to travel to India in June. Can we go without UK Passport? Or will this create any immigration headaches?

1. While exiting UK, show Indian Passport + UK Citizenship Letter (or ILR?)
2. While entering India show Indian Passport + UK ILR
3. While exiting India, show Indian Passport + UK ILR
4. While entering UK, show Indian Passport + UK Citizenship Certificate (or ILR?)

Regards,
Sidd.

maximux79

Re: Travel To India With ILR & Citizenship Certificate

Post by maximux79 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Please read the following from "http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html". The moment you receive Citizenship certificate from UK, you cease to exist as Indian citizen (for legal purposes). So, I believe you cannot travel to India on indian passport. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale, depending on the number of trips made on the Indian passport, renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and Retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring foreign nationality, for the violation of Passport Rules ranging from a minimum of £145 up to a maximum of £1088

Thanks

sidd12 wrote:Hello,

We will get our UK Citizenship Cert in May and are planning to travel to India in June. Can we go without UK Passport? Or will this create any immigration headaches?

4. While entering UK, show Indian Passport + UK Citizenship Certificate (or ILR?)

Regards,
Sidd.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:12 pm

From the same website:

Please Note: The date on the Naturalisation Certificate will be treated as date of acquiring foreign nationality and not from the date the British Passport was issued.
maximux79 wrote:Please read the following from "http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html". The moment you receive Citizenship certificate from UK, you cease to exist as Indian citizen (for legal purposes). So, I believe you cannot travel to India on indian passport. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale, depending on the number of trips made on the Indian passport, renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and Retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring foreign nationality, for the violation of Passport Rules ranging from a minimum of £145 up to a maximum of £1088

Thanks

sidd12 wrote:Hello,

Regards,
Sidd.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm

sidd12
Newly Registered

Post by sidd12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Thank you. On a separate subject. If we get UK Passport & apply for India Tourist VISA. Is it 100% requirement to Surrender Indian Passport before applying for Indian Tourist VISA?

Regards,
Sidd.

sidd12
Newly Registered

Post by sidd12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:21 pm

I was reading,
https://www.hcilondon.in/renunciation.html

It says:
5.Penalty for retention of Indian passport for more than 3 years after acquiring foreign citizenship is not imposed on applicants who could furnish proof of having obtained visa to visit India on their first foreign passport immediately after acquiring foreign nationality or if they have already obtained OCI / PIO Cards or Visa. However, if there is a gap of more than three years between acquisition of foreign nationality and obtaining OCI / PIO Cards or Visa, then applicable penalty, if any, would have to be paid.

Does it mean we can get Indian Tourist VISA and then once back in UK, surrender Indian passport?

Thank you again!