ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish-American EU citizen to marry American citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BH1369
Newly Registered

Irish-American EU citizen to marry American citizen

Post by BH1369 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Hello - I've searched the boards but am having trouble finding an answer to my question and am hoping someone can help.

I am an American who has just applied for and received my Irish/EU citizenship via my mother, who was born in Ireland. I live in the US and am engaged to be married to an American citizen.

We wish to move abroad, but I understand that we have to be married for a few years before he is allowed to apply for EU citizenship. Obviously we would prefer not to move abroad before he receives his citizenship for professional and financial reasons.

My question is, if we were to get married in Ireland, would this speed up the process?

Thank you so much for your help!

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi,

It depends on what country you are looking to move to. Each country has its own laws pertaining to citizenship. Ireland, for example, allows a spouse of an Irish citizen to gain Irish citizenship by naturalization after 3 years of marriage AND residing in Ireland for at least 3 years. Unless your future husband has his own independent means of obtaining citizenship of an EU country (through family ancestry), he won't be able to acquire citizenship without living in an EU member state.

As far as marrying in Ireland, it is a fairly long process. It would be easier to marry in the US and then move to Ireland. He can enter Ireland on a 90 day visa waiver and then make the application to remain as a spouse of an Irish citizen.

BH1369
Newly Registered

Post by BH1369 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Thank you so much. This has been quite helpful.