ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-apply or without the resident document?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jumpingzombie

Re-apply or without the resident document?

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi, everyone.

I'd like to ask you what you would do if you were in this situation....

I lost my 5years resident card(EEA 2 married one: free standing document) that was issued in July 2010 while traveling abroad in this February(last month). I had no problem to get back to the UK, because my husband traveled together.

I am going to travel abroad by myself in the middle of April.
I am worried if i would get my passport back by my travel date, if I re-apply for the resident card, so I have hesitated to do it. When I applied for it at first, it took for 6months to receive! But, it's quite obvious that it wouldn't be straight forward to be back to the UK without the resident card.
I am supposed to receive the marriage certificate the day after tomorrow(7/3), then all documents to reapply are ready. But, my travel date is on 16/04....
By the way, I'm non-visa national, going to be eligible to apply for the permanent residentce(EEA 4) this December, and my husband has already got the document certifying permanent residence(EEA 3).
I have kept a copy of my original(lost) resident card...

Which way would you choose if you were in this situation?

1. Reapply for the resident card, enclosing a letter stating as "this application is for re-issuing for the one I lost, and is urgent due to the travel date in April, so please return my passport by the travel date".

2. It's risky if the home office returns my passport by the travel date, besides I might receive a letter described as "you need to get the EEA FP before entering the UK etc etc...." as some EEA2 applicants who wanted to get their passports back due to travel reasons have received.
So,traveling abroad without the resident card, but carrying the marriage certificate, my husband's EEA3 card(blue card), and joint bank account statements or tenancy agreement.

I am thinking to go for the option 2, but not sure what's likely to happen when I arrive at an airport in the UK if I travel back here without the resident card, nor my EEA husband.

Any of your ideas are appreciated!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Re-apply or without the resident document?

Post by Jambo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:52 pm

If you are a non visa national go for option 2. Should be fine. You might need to wait a few minutes while they check your details in the system but shouldn't be long.

BTW - are you aware that the count for PR starts when you have been living in the UK as married to EEA national. Not even the RC was issued.

See also I re-entered with expired Family Permit (non-VISA national)
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I am sorry for very late reply.

Thanks Jambo, I'm going for the option 2, traveling without the resident card.

I got married to my EEA husband in July 2009, but joined him in the UK in December 2009, so the count for PR stared at that time.
I'm eligible to apply for PR this December, and thinking about hassles like filling the forms,collecting documents, paying for the fee, no passport for uncertain duration, I may not re-apply for the resident card. Only the disadvantage is that I cant prove my right to live and work in the UK by documents for employers,if I want to change jobs, but I can just stay in my current ones...

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 am

Hello, everyone.

The outcome of this topic...
I had no problem at all to be back to the UK :D
But, I wonder one thing.
Is it actually enough to carry and show a copy of the original RC to UKBA??

I took a flight from abroad to the UK.
Since I'm non-visa national, I just showed my passport, got a stamp on it, and got on-board.
I was in a queue to the other passport holders at the airport in the UK.
Just before getting in the queue, an airport staff asked me about a landing card, then I answered as "No, I don't need it". The staff asked me if I was an EEA family member and I said yes.

I prepared and brought everything to proof that I'm a direct family member of an EEA citizen, so the documents I had were;
  • My husband's passport
    His PR(EEA3 card)
    A letter by UKBA enclosed in the same envelope when I received my original RC in 2010
    Marriage certificate
    Joint bank account statements for these 3 months
My idea was showing only my passport and a photocopy of my original RC at first, then if an officer asks me where my original one is,I would explain everything with the documents.
But, the officer asked me what my husband's nationality is, and if I was traveling with him or by myself. I answered as I was traveling by my self and he was at home, that's it. 10 seconds :roll:

I guess it may depend on an officer, and I was just lucky.
I'm going to abroad next month again, but of course be ready for everything, traveling with all the documents.