ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right to Irish Citizenship

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marialear

Right to Irish Citizenship

Post by marialear » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:30 pm

FYI to all regarding Irish Citizenship. New legislation of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Bill has been announced regarding non-Irish parents giving birth to children in Ireland. What once was an automatic right to Irish citizenship has been changed. A non-national child born in Ireland can only claim citizenship if:

One of it's parents is an Irish citizen or has been living here as a legal resident for 3 of the last 4 years preceeding the birth of the child.

This Bill is in response to a referendum that was held here earlier this year where almost 80% of Irish people who cast a vote, voted to remove the automatic right to Irish Citizenship to anyone born in the county.

I got this info from one of today's National newspapers. See www.unison.ie for the news release under the heading 'breaking news'

There has also been an New Cabinet announced just moments ago with a re-shuffle of Ministers. See www.politics.ie for the news release of the full list. Interestingly for some of us, the Deptment of Enterprise, Trade and Emplyment (the government office who handles work permits) have a new minister Micheal Martin. Let's see if there are any changes to come?

Maria

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:55 pm

do you know when it will become law? or has it already become law

marialear

Post by marialear » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:26 am

Morning,

I just looked the the Department of Justice, Equality & Law Reform and in the news release section, there is a article from yesterday (Sept 29/04) titled 'Minister McDowell publishes Bill to give Effect to Referendum result'. In it is the shorter and much more easy to understand version of the longer, formal legal document of the Bill (which can be viewed as well within the Immigration and Citizenship link on the website). It talks about the what the referendum proposed and what was decided by the voters. By the title alone, that is putting into 'effect,' it would appear that the legislation is now in place, but I'm really not to sure. My advice would be that anyone (non-national) who is pregnant or thinking of having children in the county contact the Dept. of Justice themselves and find out the story. I can't comment for sure. On another note, in the same article the Minister talks about sometime in the future preparing a comprehensive immigration & residence Bill which will 'provide a fair and sensible legislative framework for dealing with all aspects of the entry of stay in the State of non-nationals.' He says that it will address long-term migrants, families and temporary visitors for work or study. And he is 'open to hear constructive suggestions as to what that legislation might contain.' Hmmm, interesting. Stay tuned I say.

Regards, Maria

marialear

Post by marialear » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:29 am

Sorry, forgot website for above is www.justice.ie

M

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:14 am

Calai,

Just wondering where the info came from the changes in Naturalization? Can you direct me to where you got your information? Website? government document? Thanks, Maria