ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

english language/test requirement - degree taught overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ali_asad_pk

english language/test requirement - degree taught overseas

Post by ali_asad_pk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am

Hi

From the link

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

it says
Degrees taught in English

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the English language part of the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement and will not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:

is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, or
was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada.
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.
now, my question, my degree is recognised on point based calculcator and it is master degree and it gives me 30 points which is equal to bachlor degree, i have medium of instruction letter and together these two were used in my T1 and ILR to satisfy english language, now, I am confused that do I have to get my degree verified by NARIC and attach that certificate of compatibilty along with medium of instruction letter? or just submit degree (copis if using NCS) and print out of poiint based to prove this gets 30 points or what to do?

I have read so many replies of home office and many discussion but nothing is clear that this is yes or no, its all confusing unless someone tries and gets accepted or rejected, any thoughts?????

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:41 am

If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Can you please point what elements of the above statement you do not understand?

If you really do not understand a simple english statement, then I will do a word by word, line by line analysis on the statement.

ali_asad_pk

Post by ali_asad_pk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 pm

the bit i did not understand

I was never awarded point for English language on point based calculator but yet, along with medium of instruction letter from institute, I got required points

another bit I did not understand
You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:

is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, or
was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada.
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.
does it mean that as far as UK NARIC validate it for equal to bachlor, one is done with requirement by giving medium of instruction? as UK NARIC gives two assessments
a) it compares level i.e. bachlor, master etc
b) it compares medium of instruction and its level

for medium of instruction, one is never going to get approval from UK NARIC as it is only to verify of degree was taught on English level C1 or not even if you got C2 level, still you will get refusal from UK NARIC as they only mention equal to C1 or not, but for BC, one only needs B1

The paragraph where Ayyubi72 jumped on, is just an additional information, it does not resolve the problem,

now, please clear the confusion

You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:

is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK

vs

If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

As fa as I understood is that if we are awarded points for English on online point calculator then we can submit that evidence, otherwise we can get UK NARIC to certify degree equal to bachlor of UK and that will fix issue means if your degree is awarded points on calcualtor then you end of saving 50 or so for degree verification otherwise do get degree verification and it will be equal to bachlor of uk and you are done without worrying to give extra examination

it is not matter of understanding simple English statement, it is matter of clearing confusion between different statement, please explain it word by word and line by line analysis as you suggested, i will be looking forward

I am surprised on your approach of picking last two lines and not understanding what was before that or what is scenario

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 pm

In between the two statement there is

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator with information about various degrees.

So, if the degree is deemed by UK Naric as meeting abc requirements then its sufficit.

So, how do you find out if its deemed by UK Naric as meeting abc requirements?

You go and check on PBS calculator.

First statement tells you what is required, and second statement tells you how you establish you meet the requirement ie by checking on PBS calculator.

So.... You need £ 300 to buy this lcd tv. To make sure you have £ 300, you go to online banking and check if your account has £ 300 pounds to pay for it.

ali_asad_pk

Post by ali_asad_pk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:26 pm

online calculator gives 30 points for degree which is what they have set for bachlor degree and UK NARIC verifies degree as bachlor as they have done many for same institute, same year, same course etc etc hence degree is established to be equal to bachlor

but

it does not give point for English language

I seriously did not get why I need LCD TV but you must be having it from there you see all these funny answer as I can see that your only objective is to put people off from using this forum

I must thank you for this advice and unfortunately, ethics, manners, common scene and intelligence to understand something are never sold in any shop for any price otherwise I would have love to guide you but I suggest you to take admission in school so that a teacher can teach you something which you may have forgotten if your parents told you or never learnt in first place

Regards

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 pm

ali_asad_pk wrote:online calculator gives 30 points for degree which is what they have set for bachlor degree and UK NARIC verifies degree as bachlor as they have done many for same institute, same year, same course etc etc hence degree is established to be equal to bachlor

but

it does not give point for English language

I seriously did not get why I need LCD TV but you must be having it from there you see all these funny answer as I can see that your only objective is to put people off from using this forum

I must thank you for this advice and unfortunately, ethics, manners, common scene and intelligence to understand something are never sold in any shop for any price otherwise I would have love to guide you but I suggest you to take admission in school so that a teacher can teach you something which you may have forgotten if your parents told you or never learnt in first place

Regards
As long as you degree is found on the Point Based Calculator (equivalent to a UK Degree) and it was taught in English this would suffice and no need for troubling yourself.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:20 pm

ali_asad_pk wrote:
common scene and intelligence to understand something are never sold in any shop for any price.
Regards
I totally agree. :wink:

libra86
Newly Registered

Re: english language/test requirement - degree taught overse

Post by libra86 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Beware all overseas degree holders....if you do not get any points for English language on the Home Office points based system calculator, then UK NARIC will NOT issue you with an English Language Assessment that certifies that your degree meets the requirements of CEFR level C1. You will be better off giving your £55 to charity.

I had all the evidence UK NARIC had asked for which includes the following:

1. Letter from my university that stated that the medium for instructions in my university is English and that all my modules were taught in English;
2. My transcript that showed all the modules that I studied including English Language core modules;
3. My original degree certificate; and
4. A very well written cover letter

UK NARIC took one month and then sent me a letter stating that "although it is confirmed that my degree was taught in English, there is not enough evidence to show that it meets the requirements of CEFR level C1.

You will be much better off taking an approved English lanugage test rather than wasting your time, effort and money with UK NARIC. They are running a money making scam (a charade!). I'm posting this here for the benefit of all those who need to satisfy this English language requirement as I learnt the hard way. DON'T GO TO UK NARIC.

Chandrarao
Newly Registered

Post by Chandrarao » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi libra86,

If I take up a B1 CEFR test and produce that certificate along with the life in the UK test certificate, will it be sufficient for the knowledge of English requirement. Do I still have to get my post graduation degree certificates deemed by the UK NARIC?

Thanks in advance

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:01 pm

libra86 wrote:Beware all overseas degree holders....if you do not get any points for English language on the Home Office points based system calculator, then UK NARIC will NOT issue you with an English Language Assessment that certifies that your degree meets the requirements of CEFR level C1. You will be better off giving your £55 to charity.

I had all the evidence UK NARIC had asked for which includes the following:

1. Letter from my university that stated that the medium for instructions in my university is English and that all my modules were taught in English;
2. My transcript that showed all the modules that I studied including English Language core modules;
3. My original degree certificate; and
4. A very well written cover letter

UK NARIC took one month and then sent me a letter stating that "although it is confirmed that my degree was taught in English, there is not enough evidence to show that it meets the requirements of CEFR level C1.

You will be much better off taking an approved English lanugage test rather than wasting your time, effort and money with UK NARIC. They are running a money making scam (a charade!). I'm posting this here for the benefit of all those who need to satisfy this English language requirement as I learnt the hard way. DON'T GO TO UK NARIC.
do u suggest this for ppl who do not get any points for English language on the Home Office points based system calculator only ?

I have applied already to UK NARIC and my unv is recognized and previously I have got 10 points for my Eng lang and proved that using my consolidate mark sheet for my Tier1 application.

I am hoping I should be fine but I did hear a similar message from one of my frnd who has done his degree from less reputable Univ and that too the degree is not an Engineering one .. ..

so what is the exam you are planning to write ?

nash45
Mood:

Post by nash45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 am

Hi,

I need help English language requirement . I completed my bachelor degree from India. I have checked in PBS calculator it is giving 30 points for my degree. I am planning to go through NCS. Is it ok if I take the print out with me along the degree certificate or else do I need to use UK Naric services. Please guide me through.

Thank You

sky2020

Post by sky2020 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:08 pm

I assume like we applied earlier we should be fine with following if we are not getting 10 points for english.

Original Degree + PBS Calculator (showing 30) +English language certificate from Uni

confusing statement as per UKBA document is they accept and we need to apply with above mix documents.
With Original Degree they :
PBS Calculator showing for degree (30) & for language (10)
or
NAARIC degree UK equivalent + English language certificate from Uni

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:20 pm

nash45 wrote:I need help English language requirement . I completed my bachelor degree from India. I have checked in PBS calculator it is giving 30 points for my degree. I am planning to go through NCS. Is it ok if I take the print out with me along the degree certificate or else do I need to use UK Naric services.
If your degree was taught in English, and is recognised by the PBS, you will score 10 points under the English language section of the PBS. Independent to this there is the section in the PBS, where you can score 30 points for a bachelors degree that is recognised as a Educational qualification that is accepted by the HO. As I understand it, NARIC confirms the latter part, I.e. that's the level of your degree = same as the 30 points you score in the PBS.

The way I understand it, unless you score 10 points under the English language section, you will need to find other means to satisfy the English language requirement for BC. So I would check this first.

nash45
Mood:

Post by nash45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:31 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
nash45 wrote:I need help English language requirement . I completed my bachelor degree from India. I have checked in PBS calculator it is giving 30 points for my degree. I am planning to go through NCS. Is it ok if I take the print out with me along the degree certificate or else do I need to use UK Naric services.
If your degree was taught in English, and is recognised by the PBS, you will score 10 points under the English language section of the PBS. Independent to this there is the section in the PBS, where you can score 30 points for a bachelors degree that is recognised as a Educational qualification that is accepted by the HO. As I understand it, NARIC confirms the latter part, I.e. that's the level of your degree = same as the 30 points you score in the PBS.

The way I understand it, unless you score 10 points under the English language section, you will need to find other means to satisfy the English language requirement for BC. So I would check this first.

Thank You .. The same PBS link I followed before and I got 30 points using category as Tier 1 General . Now there is no such option . I selected skilled workers and followed the link and got 10 points for English Language. But in the UKBA document they are asking more than 20 points for degree and 10 points for English Language.
so Little confused. can you help me out please.

Thank You

nash45
Mood:

Post by nash45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:33 pm

[quote="sky2020"]I assume like we applied earlier we should be fine with following if we are not getting 10 points for english.

Original Degree + PBS Calculator (showing 30) +English language certificate from Uni

confusing statement as per UKBA document is they accept and we need to apply with above mix documents.
With Original Degree they :
PBS Calculator showing for degree (30) & for language (10)
or
NAARIC degree UK equivalent + English language certificate from Uni[/quote

Thank You ... The same link I followed before and I got 30 points using category as Tier 1 General . Now there is no such option . I selected skilled workers and followed the link and got 10 points for English Language. But in the UKBA document they are asking more than 20 points for degree and 10 points for English Language.

Thank You

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:55 am

nash45 wrote:The same PBS link I followed before and I got 30 points using category as Tier 1 General . Now there is no such option . I selected skilled workers and followed the link and got 10 points for English Language. But in the UKBA document they are asking more than 20 points for degree and 10 points for English Language.
I managed to find the UKBA reference where it states you require more than 20 points... I had never seen this before. For T1G Qualifications the options available to score points are: bachelors = 30, masters = 35, PhD = 40|50, so the reference to 20 points was slightly confusing to me as well. I however take that to imply that you need at least a PBS recognised Bachelors degree to score any points under that section.

As there is no longer a PBS calculator option for T1G, (as the home office stopped extensions for this immigration since April 6th, 2015) and there does not appear to be any other immigration category you can select to confirm that your degree scores 30 or more points. All other immigration categories just provide the option to score 10 points (using your degree) for the English level alone. (So there is no way you can get a PBS printout which shows the following...
A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language.

Given this, and the fact that there is no reference to a PBS printout in the AN form or guidance, I would ask this question from the Home office to get confirmation on whether a NARIC letter is now required by those who have a degree taught overseas - to confirm that the degree both meets the recognised standard of a BSc/MSc/PhD and was also taught in English.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm

if some one who have applied with above situation , degree from overseas and pritnout with only 10 points recently (after April 6th) ,please let us know how NCS dealth with it . Or if you got any solid information on this please do share.

sak20099
- thin ice -

Post by sak20099 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:if some one who have applied with above situation , degree from overseas and pritnout with only 10 points recently (after April 6th) ,please let us know how NCS dealth with it . Or if you got any solid information on this please do share.

why do we need PBS calculator output for english ?
I thought if someone got ILR after 28 Oct 2013 there is section to check that as already met the KOLL requirement during ILR, can someone confirm this ?

I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 pm

sak20099 wrote:why do we need PBS calculator output for english ?
I thought if someone got ILR after 28 Oct 2013 there is section to check that as already met the KOLL requirement during ILR, can someone confirm this ?

I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
Yes, that's correct. It's only if your ILR was granted before October 2013, that you would need to prove that you meet the English language requirement as part of your naturalisation application.

The reason being, from 28th October 2013, you had to prove this as part of your settlement application, so the requirement is already satisfied for naturalisation.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Am sure, there will be lot of people (like me) who got ILR before Oct 2013 and wish to know about this. I was not sure if need to take BC or not and delayed my application. So views regarding this are highly appreciated

sak20099
- thin ice -

Post by sak20099 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
sak20099 wrote:why do we need PBS calculator output for english ?

Yes, that's correct. It's only if your ILR was granted before October 2013, that you would need to prove that you meet the English language requirement as part of your naturalisation application.

The reason being, from 28th October 2013, you had to prove this as part of your settlement application, so the requirement is already satisfied for naturalisation.

thanks for the confirmation
should we still provide the docs as evidence that we provided during ILR or there is no need to provide any evidence any more ?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:Am sure, there will be lot of people (like me) who got ILR before Oct 2013 and wish to know about this. I was not sure if need to take BC or not and delayed my application. So views regarding this are highly appreciated
If you look at the following thread, there is one April applicant who was in your situation. As this question has appeared repeatedly it may be worth getting written confirmation from the home office, so that there is no doubt.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 84497.html

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:53 pm

sak20099 wrote:thanks for the confirmation
should we still provide the docs as evidence that we provided during ILR or there is no need to provide any evidence any more ?
As per the rules, evidence is not required again. However I have seen a few threads here where NCS staff have requested proof from applicants. So I would take your certificate with you if going through an NCS in the event they insist they require it.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:19 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
Rajuk09 wrote:Am sure, there will be lot of people (like me) who got ILR before Oct 2013 and wish to know about this. I was not sure if need to take BC or not and delayed my application. So views regarding this are highly appreciated
If you look at the following thread, there is one April applicant who was in your situation. As this question has appeared repeatedly it may be worth getting written confirmation from the home office, so that there is no doubt.
Thank you "cs95tdg" .
I have proved my degree points when I switched from Workpermit to Tier 1 G , still I need to show points for my degree ?
And
Seems we need to get this confirmation from home office. Any email ids you know to contact ?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:48 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:
Thank you "cs95tdg" .
I have proved my degree points when I switched from Workpermit to Tier 1 G , still I need to show points for my degree ?
And
Seems we need to get this confirmation from home office. Any email ids you know to contact ?
Strictly based on the guidance I've read and posted under this topic, you would need to, unless your ILR was granted after October 2013.

There is a UKVI nationality contact centre email address that you could try, though I've not used this myself. If you have a copy of your previous PBS printout (used for T1G/ILR), it may also be worth finding out whether that would be acceptable with your degree certificate.
ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk or alternatively SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk who is listed as the owner of the KOL & LITUK guidance for settlement & naturalisation.