ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are we still able to move to Canada

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cocteau8
Newly Registered

Are we still able to move to Canada

Post by cocteau8 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Our application to move to Canada was accepted in 2004 and we went to Toronto in 2004 to activate out visa. Due to family illness however, a subsequent bereavement and then not wanting to move children out of their school, given the stage of their education, we never moved and had thought that we had lost the opportunity. Contrary to this though, my son recently went to Canada for work for a week and was told on entry that he was a resident still! Is this so? Are we still able to move there without a further application? I can't believe that this is so!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Re: Are we still able to move to Canada

Post by neoseal » Fri May 02, 2014 1:42 am

Yes, legally you are permanent resident to Canada, though you may not have lived there. I assume you are British citizen, you can still move to Canada, however on port of entry you may be questioned about why you did not move before and so on, and if the immigration officer reports you then only your PR can be revoked, but if they report you, then you have 30 days to appeal.
When your son went to Canada, the immigration officer told him that he is PR, did he then ask your son of his intention to move to Canada? What other Q&A happened with immigration officer?

Once you live in Canada for 2 years you can make your PR status good enough to renew your PR card.
Hope this helps.

cocteau8
Newly Registered

Post by cocteau8 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:38 am

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we are UK citizens.

From what he told us, it was only mentioned to him that he was still a resident, with no further discussion.

We have a problem with upping sticks but not having certainty regarding our status, so are now submitting an application to renew our residence card, with fingers crossed on that one!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Fri May 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Are you in Canada at the moment? You can only submit PR card application within Canada. If you have not fulfilled the residence obligation of living in the Canada for 2 years from 5 years rolling period then it is likely that you will get a residence questionnaire to prove that, and chances are that your PR will be revoked.
Have to go now will continue later.

cocteau8
Newly Registered

Post by cocteau8 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi. I had explored this carefully before submitting the application, which can be done from outside of Canada (permanent resident abroad). The form explores residence during the past 5 years, but also allows for humanitarian or compassionate grounds if the residence obligation hasn't been fulfilled.

Thanks

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu May 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi,
People say humanitarian and compassionate grounds will be considered with solid proof like personal health problem or taking care of elderly parents etc, they are unlikely to consider child education or other reasons. If I understand correctly, you have actually applied for travel document and not pr card renewal, is that right?

cocteau8
Newly Registered

Post by cocteau8 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi. The initial compassionate grounds were the illness and subsequent death of my mother-in-law, after a significant amount of caring was required. It was this which led to further complexities re schooling. Our supporting document is her death certificate.

We are seeking to renew our permanent residence card.

Thank you.

john84
Newly Registered

Post by john84 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi Cocteau8,

Can you please confirm the the outcome of your renewal application?

cocteau8
Newly Registered

Post by cocteau8 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:46 pm

It was a very rapid no, with us looking to appeal, as was our right, but with legal advice suggesting that the result would not change, so Canada is closed to us now, sadly, as we're too old to be able to get sufficient points through a full application. :cry: :cry:

cocteau8
Newly Registered

Expiration of permanent residence

Post by cocteau8 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

For various reasons - family illness, subsequent bereavement and then schooling - we were unable to make the move to Canada as we had intended. I had tried to renew our residence cards a few years ago, but without success, so thought that was that! In November 2016, however, I received an email which suggested that we are still recorded as residents and that should we not be able to present a valid permanent residence card when boarding a flight to Canada we may be denied entry, but we are still planning on visiting British Columbia one day soon and don't want to be turned away! I can find no relevant contact of the Canadian Government website, in order to seek advice, but is there any help/ suggestion here? Thank you