ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Green Card issues

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

esharknz

Green Card issues

Post by esharknz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:40 pm

I received a decision today on my green card (I am currently in Ireland on a working holiday authorisation), but I got declined stating that I was on the work visa/work authorisation scheme. I was told by entemp that it would be OK for me to switch to a green card (and I know that many young people in my situation have done the same previously). Has anyone had any experience in this matter, or do I have to beg my employer to let me go for 4 weeks to sort this out from overseas?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Green Card issues

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:31 am

esharknz wrote:I received a decision today on my green card (I am currently in Ireland on a working holiday authorisation), but I got declined stating that I was on the work visa/work authorisation scheme. I was told by entemp that it would be OK for me to switch to a green card (and I know that many young people in my situation have done the same previously). Has anyone had any experience in this matter, or do I have to beg my employer to let me go for 4 weeks to sort this out from overseas?
you need to post more info. where you from. what permit you have. work holiday maker visa? work authorization or work visa? why you said the dept of entemp said ok to you to switch to green card and now you got a letter for rejection? you have to explain this a bit.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 am

I'm from New Zealand on a working holiday authorisation, which is the same stamp as a work permit. Entemp did say it would be OK to switch (it's possible to switch from other permits to this), but then I got declined as my visa is issued by the department of justice. They said I should try to get permission to remain and apply after my working holiday authorisation expires. I rang the justice department, and they seemed to think it would be OK for me to remain in the country while waiting for my permit to be processed without any sort of application. I'm concerned because entemp may decline me for being in the country on an 'invalid' permit.
I'm going nuts - different departments are telling me different things and I just don't know what to do

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 pm

esharknz wrote:I'm from New Zealand on a working holiday authorisation, which is the same stamp as a work permit. Entemp did say it would be OK to switch (it's possible to switch from other permits to this), but then I got declined as my visa is issued by the department of justice. They said I should try to get permission to remain and apply after my working holiday authorisation expires. I rang the justice department, and they seemed to think it would be OK for me to remain in the country while waiting for my permit to be processed without any sort of application. I'm concerned because entemp may decline me for being in the country on an 'invalid' permit.
I'm going nuts - different departments are telling me different things and I just don't know what to do
ok, here is what i know. your work holiday authorization has nothing to do with the department of justice. here is the procedure for IRELAND. just remember this. when you got your work holiday authorization. whoever gave you that(e.g irish embassy or dept foreign affairs in dublin), they only issue that on be half of the minister of enteprise in ireland. so once when you got that in your passport. you CANNOT work yet unless you report to the garda and get the garda stamp on your passport. i dont know what they told you about the stamp in your passport. few years ago. they call the stamp from the GNIB as permission to remain. it is not a visa. it is a permission to stay legally in the country. the garda would not stamp on your passport unless they see why you want to stay in the country. in your case. because you got the work holiday authorization. so they stamped on your passport for how ever your work holiday authorizaiton allowed you to remain in the country. rememebr this. minister of enteprise can authorize foreigner to work in the country but the minister of enteprise does not have authority to allow people to live in the country. once when you get the authorization from minister of enteprise. in your case, the work holiday authorization. then you go to the GNIB, then you ask the minister of justice for permission to live in the country legally. but here is the extra power that the minister of justice has. the minister of justice can give you right to live in the country right the way by granting you residency or irish passport right the way, and the minister of justice also can take away you work holiday authorization by deporting you(which i hope it will not happen to you or anyone).

i think you kinda mixed up about which department to which department. from what you said in the previous post. i think you just went to GNIB and trying to change your status wihtout getting the actual green card paper from department of enterprise. i take it as you have a job and you employer willing to give you what you need to apply for the green card, right? go to the dept of enterprise website and look up the green card requirement and see if your eligable to apply or not. if you do, apply the green card while your in ireland. you do not have to leave the country providing you still have valid permission to remain to stay in the country. i read something in this forum. it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the dept of enterprise to process the green card. once when you get the green card paper from department of enterprise. you take your green card along with your passport and your current GNIB CARD and the job offer letter from your employer to the GNIB. and change your status from work holiday authorization to green card. like i said. the GNIB CAN refuse to stamp on your passport but if you were legal and working here. i dont see why they would not stamp on your passport.

i hope i explained it ok and not confusing you. so get the ball rolling now and apply to the green card fast!

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Hey,
No the issue is that I had applied for a green card and was declined on the basis that it is apparently not possible to cancel any work authorisation (including working holiday ones) and that someone has to wait until the expiry of such an authorisation before any application for a work permit or a green card can be successful. I'm not too concerned myself about having to leave the country for a month and apply from overseas (honestly, this is the easier option), but I'm just wondering what I'd have to do to extend my leave to remain in Ireland while waiting for a green card to be processed so that I have the "correct status" for enterprise, trade and employment

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:11 pm

by the way. dept of enteprise is giving you the correct info. you can apply to the green card and they can process it but can you stay in the country as a green card holder or not is up to the dept of justice to say.

so apply to the green card now and go change you status in GNIB after you receive your green card from dept enterprise!

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Yeah,
Thanks for this. The issue that is worrying me is that while a work authorisation is in force, they will not grant a green card. So I need to have them process my green card after my working holiday authorisation (or apparently any work authorisation issued under the now defunct work authorisation scheme) has expired. This is 20 september, and my GNIB card is also only valid until then. So I need a way of somehow being granted temporary residency. I tried asking two different government departments today about this, and got conflicting responses. I'm wondering if I try to get a stamp from the GNIB allowing me to stay (but not work) until I can reasonably expect a response from entemp regarding my green card (and I'm hoping I can then happily go along to GNIB again for a green card stamp).

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 pm

esharknz wrote:Yeah,
Thanks for this. The issue that is worrying me is that while a work authorisation is in force, they will not grant a green card. So I need to have them process my green card after my working holiday authorisation (or apparently any work authorisation issued under the now defunct work authorisation scheme) has expired. This is 20 september, and my GNIB card is also only valid until then. So I need a way of somehow being granted temporary residency. I tried asking two different government departments today about this, and got conflicting responses. I'm wondering if I try to get a stamp from the GNIB allowing me to stay (but not work) until I can reasonably expect a response from entemp regarding my green card (and I'm hoping I can then happily go along to GNIB again for a green card stamp).
who said you wont be issue a green card while you are on work holiday authorization? dept of justice or dept of enterprise? i am lose.

like i said. gnib can extend you stamp as visitor or give you a brand new stamp if they want or they can even say no. but worst case senerio. you just have to fly somewhere for a weekend and come back then you get another 3 months. i never on the work holiday authorization. if you dont mind i ask. did it mention on the work holiday authorization that which dept issued it to you? does it say dept of foreign affairs? dept of enterprise? or dept of justice? or dept of foreign affairs issued it on behalf of the minister for enterprise? if it is the dept of foreign affairs issused on behalf of the minster for enterprise on your work holiday authorization label in your passport? just think about it. if the dept of foreign affairs issued it on behalf of the minister of enterprise and the dept of enterprise saying that they cannot cancel the work holiday authorization and issue you the green card. funny huh? i tell you what. the government depts in this country has so much discretionary power that they do things to suit themself. it sounds like it to me that the dept of enterprise dont want to make an execption in your application and make you wait. thats all. in your case. i guess the best thing to do is just wait for the work holiday authorization is over and get the green card then problem solve. just make sure you apply in the right time for this one.

best of luck