ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A Child born before parents were were settled.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

emanakinde
Newly Registered

A Child born before parents were were settled.

Post by emanakinde » Sun May 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi,

Born in 1988 to parents who were not yet settled in the UK. Parents now have British citizenship and child is now an adult and about to apply for 1st passport. is this straightforward or is registration or other process required?

thank you.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: A Child born before parents were were settled.

Post by Jambo » Sun May 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Application to register is required to be made before applying for a passport if the child is not British at birth.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

emanakinde
Newly Registered

Post by emanakinde » Sun May 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Really? child was born here, birth certificate and even drivers licence states British. never left country for 26 years. is this still the case? i ask because registration is a substantial amount of money so that i know before doing so.

tunjy

Post by tunjy » Sun May 18, 2014 8:03 pm

You have to make an application to register as a british citizen ( form T).You have to show that you were born and live the first 10 years of your life in the uk,if you are successful with this, you can then apply for british passport.

tunjy

Post by tunjy » Sun May 18, 2014 8:05 pm

emanakinde wrote:Really? child was born here, birth certificate and even drivers licence states British. never left country for 26 years. is this still the case? i ask because registration is a substantial amount of money so that i know before doing so.

You have to make an application to register as a british citizen ( form T).You have to show that you were born and live the first 10 years of your life in the uk,if you are successful with this, you can then apply for british passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:27 pm

emanakinde wrote:Really? child was born here, birth certificate and even drivers licence states British. never left country for 26 years. is this still the case? i ask because registration is a substantial amount of money so that i know before doing so.
Birth to foreign parents in the UK does not automatically make the child British (like the USA does for example). If parents were settled before the birth, child would have been British automatically.

As Jambo has advised, registration is required before a passport application can be done.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 19, 2014 5:29 am

emanakinde wrote:Really? child was born here, birth certificate and even drivers licence states British.
Are you sure? Last time I checked both birth certificate and driving licence didn't state nationality but country of birth. Being born in the UK (after 1983) doesn't entitle British citizenship automatically.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

mamatish
Newly Registered

Post by mamatish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

CR001 wrote:
Birth to foreign parents in the UK does not automatically make the child British (like the USA does for example). If parents were settled before the birth, child would have been British automatically.

As Jambo has advised, registration is required before a passport application can be done.
Hello
Pls I have a question hoping you can help
I will like to kno if I need to pay the £1k fee for my sons britsh passport.
I acquired PR status in Jan 2017, and gave birth to my son in Feb 2017. But my PR date of issue is Jun 2017. Going by date of issue I wil need to pay as my son was born before this date. But going by date of PR status which is January 2017 I won't need to pay as my son was born afterwards. Pls advice which is right.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

mamatish wrote:Hello
Pls I have a question hoping you can help
I will like to kno if I need to pay the £1k fee for my sons britsh passport.
I acquired PR status in Jan 2017, and gave birth to my son in Feb 2017. But my PR date of issue is Jun 2017. Going by date of issue I wil need to pay as my son was born before this date. But going by date of PR status which is January 2017 I won't need to pay as my son was born afterwards. Pls advice which is right.
Kindly refrain from digging up topics that are more than 3 years old. Start your own topic with your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.