ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting EU spouse work permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nonEUwife
Newly Registered

Getting EU spouse work permit

Post by nonEUwife » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm an American married to a Swede. He's being transferred by his company to Dublin. Of course, I'm planning to go along.

It sounds that my best bet will be to try and get an EU spouse work permit while waiting for a residency stamp. We have only lived in the US together, so I suspect the stamp will be denied. However, I'm hoping that having a master's degree will help me look more attractive to companies.

My question is for those who did get EU spouse work permits.

- How did you bring it up with the company? In your cover letter? During the interview? After the offer was made?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Getting EU spouse work permit

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:25 pm

nonEUwife wrote:- How did you bring it up with the company? In your cover letter? During the interview? After the offer was made?
I think you do it on your own as soon as you arrive in Ireland. You do not need to involve a company.

You then look for a job and tell them you have a work permit.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:09 am

I guess it depends what you do for a living.

My wife has a Master Degree as well, and companies were just not willing to get into anything work permit related. Even when she explained that was entitled to one, and that it would be fast-tracked and be free of charge they were unwilling to go with it.

But I believe there are one or 2 here on the board who manged to find an employer, but it took quite some time.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:05 am

I think you would have to find an employer first and then ask them to fill in the paperwork like company tax Id etc.Then it can be turned in by you or your company.
http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/marriedtoeu.htm
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 8&start=40

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:51 am

nonEUwife wrote:I'm an American married to a Swede. He's being transferred by his company to Dublin. Of course, I'm planning to go along.

It sounds that my best bet will be to try and get an EU spouse work permit while waiting for a residency stamp. We have only lived in the US together, so I suspect the stamp will be denied. However, I'm hoping that having a master's degree will help me look more attractive to companies.

- How did you bring it up with the company? In your cover letter? During the interview? After the offer was made?
What do you mean by an "EU Spouse work permit". It's already clear that you will be refused if you apply under EEA rules.

Are you asking about getting a work permit on your own merits?

It may make more sense to live in Northern Ireland.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:35 pm

JAJ wrote:
nonEUwife wrote:I'm an American married to a Swede. He's being transferred by his company to Dublin. Of course, I'm planning to go along.

What do you mean by an "EU Spouse work permit". It's already clear that you will be refused if you apply under EEA rules.

Are you asking about getting a work permit on your own merits?

It may make more sense to live in Northern Ireland.
JAJ, this notice was recently issued by the Dept.of Trade and Enterprise

nonEUwife
Newly Registered

Post by nonEUwife » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Guess I can't even try to get a job in Ireland now...

"Employment Permits for non-EEA nationals married to EU nationals

Last modified: 27/07/2007
http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... oeunew.htm

Policy in relation to these types of permits is currently under review.

The Employment Permits Section are not accepting applications pending
the outcome of that review."[/quote]

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:35 pm

Sorry I didn't notice the page had been modified when I posted the link...I can't believe they are doing this!

efrenirvana

Post by efrenirvana » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Jos
Last edited by efrenirvana on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limey

Post by limey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:11 pm

Well it sounds like things are coming to a head one way or another!

Though, it seems they are just making it up as they go along.

Dimy77

Post by Dimy77 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:49 am

So does anyone has any idea what they are reviewing? It's extremely frustrating as it's difficult enough to even get an interview, let alone getting an actual job offer. My wife had two interviews last week and we were very hopeful and then they do this.... they're holding a bone and then take it away at the last moment. What are we going to do if my wife was succesful and finally gets a job offer? We'll probably just submit the application anyway and see what happens. I can't even imagine how people would feel who just got a job offer and were about to post the application...

I really wonder if they're aware how much they are toying with people's lifes, it makes me angry but what makes me even more angry is that there's nothing we can do about this. Clearly the DoJ and ROI can do whatever they want and get away with it. In the meantime the EU is giving ROI loads of money for development.

Our situation: Dutch national married to Brasilian, we haven't lived in another EU-member state. Married since April 2007, submitted EU1 application in May 2007. EU1 application pending (asked for proof of residence in other EU member state). Dutch national residence in Ireland since June 2003.

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:09 am

The only thing the post on entemp means is that they are currently postponing taking a decision on spousal work permits. Because they would like to change something to the reviewing process, hopefully speeding it up.

If a (fairly large) company likes to hire you after interviewing, they would not give up on you very easily. They will ask the HR to figure out how to get you to work there. It is the HR's job to get you hired when the department chooses you are the best for the job. Human Resources have much more experience with the Dept. of Enterprise. They would probably not have a problem with getting you a normal work permit (for 2000,-) if they are already in the process of hiring you.

The idea is to first get the job, and then figure out the workpermit. If you mention the difficulties beforehand, or be frustrated, you might scare them off. It is entemp's job to be clearly on these issues, they don't mind it if some non-EU spousals are complaining, but they are more involved when a large company demands information.

So I hope that whoever goes to an interview is not scared about having to explain their legal status or their ability to work, it is hard enough to do an interview, you don't need more to worry about. Just tell them what you are aloud to by law, you are allowed to work in Ireland as a spouse of an EU national, which is free of charge and should not take longer than a month.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

aurbo
Newly Registered

Post by aurbo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:35 pm

I am American married to an Italian waiting for the EU1 reply which will surely be denied because I never resided legally in another EU state. Just got a job though with a new media company in Dublin and was just putting the finishing touches on my work permit Application because I plan to start work Aug 20th!!
This is very upsetting! But I guess I plan to go to work and send in my app regardless,and take it from there...

CamB
Newly Registered

Post by CamB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:03 am

Yep, I had work lined up too. :(

I've just about had enough of this whole ridiculous situation.

OTM77
Newly Registered

Employment Permits for non-EEA nationals married to EU natio

Post by OTM77 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:32 am

Employment Permits for non-EEA nationals married to EU nationals
Policy in relation to these types of permits is currently under review.
The Employment Permits Section are not accepting applications pending the outcome of that review.
Last modified: 27/07/2007
http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... oeunew.htm

I was looking for the same option getting a work and apply but It change, now i have to go for the problematic EU1[/b]

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:53 pm

This page still seems to be up for E.U spouse work permits.

It seems to be a earlier version though...

CamB
Newly Registered

Post by CamB » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:00 am