ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A slightly different situation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

robertmagness
Newly Registered

A slightly different situation

Post by robertmagness » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:28 pm

I've been reading through this site today and it's a wealth. Thank you everyone for your follow up. I still have a few questions that maybe some of you have answers for.

My wife and I, and two kids, just moved to Ireland. My wife has lived here before. Her step-father is a natural Irish citizen; her mother naturalised not too long ago. She was here when she was a kid for 6 years and then as an adult with a Stamp 4. She renewed her Stamp 4 when we got here in early July.

The Garda didn't know what to do with me. Sent me to the DOJ who sent me back to the Garda with conflicting information. Contacted Garda and they finally answered my questions: I can get a Stamp 3. But I need to work.

Now, does anyone know where online on either entemp, DOJ or anywhere else that lists the rights associated with each stamp and what a person must do to acquire said stamps? Direct links would be best, because I've been through those sites all day today and haven't found anything pertinent.

Thanks a million!

limey

Post by limey » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 pm

Robert: I found this...

Stamp 1– Issued to non-EEA nationals in possession of a work permit and to persons granted permission to engage in business in the State.

Stamp 2 – Issued to full-time students.

Stamp 3– Issued to visitors, tourists, spouses of work permit holders, persons receiving medical treatment and retired persons – employment is prohibited to holders of this Stamp.

Stamp 4– Issued to spouses and dependents of EEA nationals, spouses of Irish nationals/parents of Irish citizens who have been granted permission to remain in the State on that basis, persons granted refugee status under the terms of the 1951 Geneva Convention, former asylum seekers granted humanitarian leave to remain and Programme refugees. Holders of this Stamp do not require a work permit or business permission. This Stamp is also issued to holders of Work Authorisations or Working Visas.

Stamp 5– Issued to persons who have dual citizenship through; birth in Ireland; parent(s) born in Ireland; grandparent(s) born in Ireland (Foreign Births Register Certificate required from Department of Foreign Affairs; naturalization or post nuptial citizenship.

Stamp 6– Issued to non-EEA nationals who have resided in the State for at least 8 years. It is issued based on the individual merits of each application;

Also this...
Immigration Status
http://www.mrci.ie/know_rights/legalsta ... idency.htm
Any non-EU/EEA national wishing to stay in Ireland for more than three months must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) to obtain a GNIB Registration Card. The fee for registering is currently €100, for more information on this fee click here. Registration can be done in your local Garda station through your local immigration officer if the person is residing outside Dublin, or if you are in Dublin at the GNIB at:

13/14 Burgh Quay,
Dublin 2.
Click here for contact details of local Garda stations

You must bring your passport and evidence of permission to reside in the country (e.g. copy of work permit, or a college/school registration + proof of paid fees). They will receive a GNIB registration certificate/plastic card, and a stamp in your passport. There are a number of different residency stamps:

Stamp 1 indicates that the person is entitled to work if they have a valid work permit
Stamp 2 indicates that the person is a student and may be entitled to work up 20 hours part time
Stamp 2A indicates that the person is a student but is not allowed to enter employment
Stamp 3 is a limited stamp which indicates that the person cannot work or study full time in Ireland. This is usually given to visitors or spouse dependants
Stamp 4 indicates that the person is entitled to work without a work permit. It is issued to people on work visas/work authorisations, and also to, e.g., spouses of Irish and EU citizens, refugees, people with Irish Born Child residency, people with long term residency status.
Stamp A refers to medical practitioners who are entitled to work
Stamp 6 gives a person permission to remain without condition as to time

JAJ
Australia

Re: A slightly different situation

Post by JAJ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:51 pm

robertmagness wrote: My wife and I, and two kids, just moved to Ireland. My wife has lived here before. Her step-father is a natural Irish citizen; her mother naturalised not too long ago. She was here when she was a kid for 6 years and then as an adult with a Stamp 4. She renewed her Stamp 4 when we got here in early July.
You've omitted some critical information:

- what's your nationality?
- what is your wife's nationality?
- what nationality are your children?
- where did you last reside?

And what do you mean by a "natural Irish citizen" - was he born in Ireland, or naturalised?

robertmagness
Newly Registered

Nationality

Post by robertmagness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:34 pm

sorry, I did omit some critical information.

Both my wife and I are American, were living in America (me these last 27 years and my wife these last 3 years).

Her step-father was born in Ireland and is a citizen.

robertmagness
Newly Registered

Oh yeah

Post by robertmagness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info.

And my kids are both American as well.