ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

housing benefit, rc and application ilr

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Schengener
Newly Registered

housing benefit, rc and application ilr

Post by Schengener » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:18 am

Hi, can anyone advise if I as EEA national can apply for housing benefit without affecting a future ilr application of my partner who is non-EEA?

We have a baby,I was therefore working part-time on a temp contract that was not extended. In order to avoid using up my savings I am considering to apply for housing benefit - for as long as I am looking for a new job.

Will that be a problem for him? I think I have to claim as a couple because we are living together?

Secondly, I came across the advise here to do EEA3 before making any claims. I have been student and working in the UK for 9 years straight. Is EEA 3 something you would advise to do in my situation - not to lose my treaty rights as I am currently unemployed?

Imshzd

Re: housing benefit, rc and application ilr

Post by Imshzd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 am

Schengener wrote:Hi, can anyone advise if I as EEA national can apply for housing benefit without affecting a future ilr application of my partner who is non-EEA?

We have a baby,I was therefore working part-time on a temp contract that was not extended. In order to avoid using up my savings I am considering to apply for housing benefit - for as long as I am looking for a new job.

Will that be a problem for him? I think I have to claim as a couple because we are living together?

Secondly, I came across the advise here to do EEA3 before making any claims. I have been student and working in the UK for 9 years straight. Is EEA 3 something you would advise to do in my situation - not to lose my treaty rights as I am currently unemployed?
As a EEA national you should not be a unreasonable burden in the host country.
After successful EEA 3 application you will be free from all restrictions and note that EEA3 applications are not required by law.
But before PR confirmation any unreasonable burden on the social system May effect your non EEA nationals right.

Schengener
Newly Registered

Re: housing benefit, rc and application ilr

Post by Schengener » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks. I think I am putting that housing benefit claim on hold.
There seem to be quite a few changes these past months and I need to get a clearer picture before taking any risks. I am applying for jobs anyhow.

Will it have a negative effect on my eea3 application that since end of May I do not work?
Also, The description on gov.UK implies that : can I apply under eea3 apart from our son who was born here also for my non-eea partner? He is 2 years into his rc but has been in UK for 10 years and our relationship is 8 years.