ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pvsc27
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by Pvsc27 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Pvsc27 wrote:Fantastic form and fantastic info and people :)
Application Timeline

Passport for: Adult First Time
Application Type: New
Method of application: Post Office C&S
Date of application: 2 May 2014
Date application received by HMPO: 6 May 2014 - i did send query using online help
Date of return of documents: 8 Jun 2014 (surprisingly on Sunday)
Date of receipt of interview letter: 29 May 2014
Date of Passport Appointment:3 June 2014, Reading
Date SMS Received: 4 Jun 2014 (not for application acknowledgement, but saying passport is being printed)
Date of Passport Receipt: 5 Jun 2014

All the best to other guys :)

chingomingo
Newly Registered

Post by chingomingo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am

Help needed.
Information about passport Interview.
Hi all,
I just applied for my first adult British passport and waiting for an interview.I have seen some questions on this forum which are being asked during the course of interview.They normally ask about previous addresses.One of the addresses where i was living in i used for electoral role but this address was never given to any bank or anywhere but i was actually living there. During this period i used the address of my friend where it was more easy to handle the post.As this address exists nowhere except on electoral register make any problem for me?
Please give your opinion and oblige.

shaunc
Newly Registered

Post by shaunc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:08 am

Passport for: Adult
Application Type: First time (naturalised citizen)
Method of application: PO Check & Send
Date of application: 22/04/2014
Date application received by IPS (post tracking): 23/04/2014
SMS received: 24/04/2014
Payment taken: 22/04/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 07/06/2014 (dated 04/06/2014)
Date of return of documents:
Date of Passport Appointment: 05/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt:

I eventually received my interview letter and rang to make an appointment yesterday morning. I was connected to someone almost immediately, which I was surprised by. I managed to make an appointment for 5th July in Leeds, though this isn't particularly convenient as I live in Newcastle.

The main reason is that the Durham passport office apparently has no appointments at all for the next four weeks. The next closest office is Carlisle but they don't offer weekend appointments, so Leeds is the next closest office. I will call later in the week and see if I can get something at Durham in July, but I'm no longer in a rush as I have a concurrent Australian passport to travel with.

shaunc
Newly Registered

Post by shaunc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 am

mgoblue wrote:So here are some things I have learned during this ludicrous process (in which I am still yet to receive my passport or any info about it!) which I hope will be helpful to some of you. It should be noted that my application is at Durham, so I'm not sure if this information will be useful (or necessary) when dealing with other offices.

1. When you call the 0300 number, it asks you to select whether you're calling from Britain or overseas. I have only ever selected the latter (since I am calling from the US) and each time I am transferred to someone within 30 seconds. So for those who have been put on hold for up to an hour when calling this number, I would suggest dialling "2" (the one for overseas applicants) and then, when you are transferred to someone, just claim that you must have "accidentally pressed the wrong number on your keypad". At least you won't have to wait.

2. The 0300 number is merely an advice line and their employees can do very little to help you. Moreover, these people generally give you attitude, which is understandable as I presume that they spend their entire livelihoods dealing with unhappy applicants, so don't contact them with high hopes or expect them to be overly helpful. As I understand it, the only way you can make some progress with your application is to have your case escalated, wherein an actual passport examiner contacts you directly. The call centre employees are able to commence this process - so this is what you should use them for.

3. As I postulated, the call centre likely deals with a plethora of unhappy applicants, so you're just a normal caller to them. In order to have your case escalated, it is essential to call them on multiple occasions. The way this happened for me was to call the office once, and demand that one of my supporting documents be returned immediately (I asked for my Australian passport to be returned because I need to travel very soon) - they then submit a note to the Durham office, asking a passport examiner to contact you directly within 72 hours to discuss the situation. After 72 hours passes without contact (it will - all they do is send you a generic email which you should disregard as it is entirely unhelpful), call the 0300 number again and say that no one has contacted you yet and your situation is absolutely urgent. They will then escalate your case and ask you for your contact info again so that someone from Durham can contact you directly. At this point, make sure that you request to be contacted by phone (as opposed to email) so that you can actually speak with the passport examiner.

I just completed this step this morning and will provide more information after they contact me.

4. The phone operators at the advice centre (0300 number) claim that they do not have the phone numbers of the Durham passport office and that even they can only contact them by email. Thus, if you ask them for a contact number for the Durham office, they cannot indulge you. However, another forum has posted this number as a direct contact to Durham: 0845 601 5175. I tried it once but was on hold for too long so hung up, but many others have reported success when using it.

Best of luck to all, you will be needing it!
This is pretty much spot on. I would add the following:

1. The advice line (the 0300 number) is just a call centre. Throughout the entire process I was given "awaiting examination" as the status update, but this couldn't have been the case last week as my interview letter was sent out on 4th June. The tracking system is a con and frankly only the people in the processing offices would know where your passport is, so don't expect clear answers.

2. I would allow at least 8 weeks for the process, especially if your application has gone to Durham. Staffing cuts were made to HMPO last year which has meant that they are struggling to deal with the "increased demand" for passports, yet they still claim that there are no delays, despite two critical media stories about HMPO in the last fortnight. It's a mess and the best thing you can do is to e-mail or write a complaint to your local MP so that it gets debated in parliament and other people will not have to endure something similar in the future.

As a point of comparison, the Australian Passport Office has a COMMITMENT (important word) to processing all applications within 10 working days of applications being received. HMPO by comparison states that new passport applications will take AT LEAST six weeks to process. They can hide behind "at least" pretty easily as it is quite an open timeframe and also allows for slippages in service standards.

Sure, Australia has less people, but anything longer than two weeks for a first passport is a joke - if you can prove that you're a citizen and that you are indeed who you claim to be, then you're entitled to a passport. The easiest and most efficient way to do this is through an appointment to run through the application form face-to-face and perform the interview at the same time, then submit it for processing and printing. One day common sense will prevail.

utopia
Newly Registered

Post by utopia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 am

Here are the timelines for 4 passport applications that I recently made for my family and myself:

Application Type: New / First time
Method of application: Postal Check & Send
Date of application: 06/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: Not Known
Date of SMS that appication was received: 09/05/2014
Date of return of documents: 02/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 03/06/2014 (letter dated 30/05/2014)
Date on which interview was booked: 04/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview confirmation letter: 06/06/2014 (letter dated 04/06/2014)
Date of passport interview: 07/06/2014
Date of SMS confirming passport is being printed: 09/06/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 10/06/2014

Date of receipt of interview confirmation letter: 06/06/2014 (letter dated 04/06/2014)

Passport for: Child
Date of SMS that appication was received: Never
Date of return of documents: 05/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: N/A
Date on which interview was booked: N/A
Date of receipt of interview confirmation letter: N/A
Date of passport interview: N/A
Date of SMS confirming passport is being printed: N/A
Date of Passport Receipt: 02/06/2014

Some observations for the benefit of others:

1. I mentioned my own mobile number of the applications for my 2 children. Therefore I was expecting 3 SMS messages confirming application receipts (1 for myself + 2 for my children). However, I received just 1. It seems HMPO have some way of avoiding multiple messages to the same mobile number if they are convinced that all applications originate from the same family.

2. In contrast to several moans I've come across on this forum, I always found it very easy to get in touch with HMPO on the passport advice line. They have always been polite, gentle, helpful and accurate in answering my queries. Must say I had a very pleasant experience with them.

3. DX secure are a very dangerous and unreliable group of jokers who prefer to call themselves a courier company. My childrens' supporting documents (British Citizenship certificates and original, non-British passports) were recklessly dumped into a flat bearing the same number as mine but in an entirely different building!! No signatures taken, no help from the call center and no apologies. It was after a 7-hour, tension-filled drama that I finally managed to retrieve those documents from that flat. I would advise people to get hold of tracking numbers and keep tracking documents until they are safely received. Otherwise you may never receive them and would keep waiting.

This brings me to the end of a very long and tiring immigration journey that has spanned some 11 years. Immigration Boards and its members have been with me all along this journey and I hereby take this opportunity to convey my heart-felt gratitude to one and all. Here's wishing the best to those still waiting. I can only say that patience does pay off in the end.

SpyderBryte
Newly Registered

Post by SpyderBryte » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Application Timeline
Method of application: Postal - Recorded
Date of application: Sent 6/6/14
Date application received by IPS: Recorded post 7/6/14
Date of SMS confirmation: 10/6/14
Date of return of documents: n/a
Date of receipt of interview letter: n/a
Date of Passport Appointment: n/a
Date of Passport Receipt: n/a

Oh, and I believe my application is at the Liverpool office, as this is where the recorded delivery shows it being recieved.

jeeva
Newly Registered

Post by jeeva » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi,

Where can I get the DX tracking number?
utopia wrote:Here are the timelines for 4 passport applications that I recently made for my family and myself:

Some observations for the benefit of others:

1. I mentioned my own mobile number of the applications for my 2 children. Therefore I was expecting 3 SMS messages confirming application receipts (1 for myself + 2 for my children). However, I received just 1. It seems HMPO have some way of avoiding multiple messages to the same mobile number if they are convinced that all applications originate from the same family.

2. In contrast to several moans I've come across on this forum, I always found it very easy to get in touch with HMPO on the passport advice line. They have always been polite, gentle, helpful and accurate in answering my queries. Must say I had a very pleasant experience with them.

3. DX secure are a very dangerous and unreliable group of jokers who prefer to call themselves a courier company. My childrens' supporting documents (British Citizenship certificates and original, non-British passports) were recklessly dumped into a flat bearing the same number as mine but in an entirely different building!! No signatures taken, no help from the call center and no apologies. It was after a 7-hour, tension-filled drama that I finally managed to retrieve those documents from that flat. I would advise people to get hold of tracking numbers and keep tracking documents until they are safely received. Otherwise you may never receive them and would keep waiting.

This brings me to the end of a very long and tiring immigration journey that has spanned some 11 years. Immigration Boards and its members have been with me all along this journey and I hereby take this opportunity to convey my heart-felt gratitude to one and all. Here's wishing the best to those still waiting. I can only say that patience does pay off in the end.

utopia
Newly Registered

Post by utopia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Jeeva,

There are 2 ways to get the DX Secure Tracking number

1. After HMPO confirm that your documents have been dispatched, you can request them to connect you to the department (within HMPO) that handles dispatches and deals with DX. This internal department will be able to give you the tracking number

2. Call DX early morning (around 8 AM) and ask them if they have a delivery for your door number and post code. If they see something on the system, they will happily give you the tracking number

Regards,

Utopia

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:51 pm

[Updated]My Application Timeline:

Method of Application: Post Office check & send
Date of Application: 03/05/2014 (Post Office)
Date of Application Received by IPS: 08/05/2014
Date of SMS Received: None
Date of Fees deduction: N.A.
Date of Receipt of Interview Letter: 04/06/2014 (dated 02/06/2014)
Date of Return of Documents: 05/06/2014
Date of Interview booked: 06/06/2014 (London Victoria)
Date of Passport Receipt: 09/06/2014 (Passport valid from 06/06/2014)

Best wishes to all who are waiting. You will also get your passport soon.
Techie

jeeva
Newly Registered

Post by jeeva » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi utopia,

Thanks alot.
utopia wrote:Hi Jeeva,

There are 2 ways to get the DX Secure Tracking number

1. After HMPO confirm that your documents have been dispatched, you can request them to connect you to the department (within HMPO) that handles dispatches and deals with DX. This internal department will be able to give you the tracking number

2. Call DX early morning (around 8 AM) and ask them if they have a delivery for your door number and post code. If they see something on the system, they will happily give you the tracking number

Regards,

Utopia

ei
Newly Registered

Post by ei » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:44 pm

ei wrote:Passport for: Adult
Method of application: Check & Send
Date of application: 02.05.2014
Date application received by IPS: SMS received on 08.05.2014
Date of return of documents: expected on 11.06.2014 (attempted delivery on 05.06.2014, had to re-schedule)
Date of receipt of interview letter: 29.05.2014 (dated 27.05.2014)
Date of Passport Appointment: 03.06.2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 10.06.2014 (attempted delivery on 06.06.2014, had to re-schedule)

ashik_a_s

Post by ashik_a_s » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Method of application: dropped at Peterborough Passport Office
Date of application: 9 May 2014
Date application received by HMPO: 13 May 2014
Date SMS Received:13 May 2014 [regarding that we have received the application]
Date Money Taken : 13 May 2014
Date Photos resent : 22 May 2014 [Letter dated 13 May 2014 to resend the photos received on 21 may 2014]
Date Application was submitted to Examiner : 28 May 2014
Date of return of documents: waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: waiting
Date of Passport Appointment: waiting
Date of Passport Receipt: waiting
EC Applied Date : 16-01-2008
VFS Bangalore
BHC: Chennai
Integra: --No Idea When happened
Result : EC Stamped

ashik_a_s

Post by ashik_a_s » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:30 pm

I need to travel on 28th June and my hopes to get a passport are diminishing....

The call center is not really helpful and sometimes they can't even locate my application...
EC Applied Date : 16-01-2008
VFS Bangalore
BHC: Chennai
Integra: --No Idea When happened
Result : EC Stamped

junk2014
Newly Registered

Post by junk2014 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Application Timeline

Application Type: New - First time (Registered Citizen)
Method of application: Online (BETA)
Date of application: 24 Apr 2014 online, 29 May 2014 posted additional form
Date application received by HMPO: 1 May 2014 (Signed For)
HMPO Office: Peterborough
Date SMS Received: 4 Jun 2014 (after sending in additional paper form)
Date of return of documents:
Date of receipt of interview letter:
Date of Passport Appointment: 13 Jun 2014
Date of Passport Receipt:

Other Updates:
Date: 29 May 2014
Description: Received letter (dated 26 May 2014) saying that I had missed some sections of the form (which I don't think so as the online system says that you can't proceed to the next section without completing the current section). They sent a paper form and asked that I fill it in and send it back. Posted 30 May 2014
As mentioned by Skimatic, it was the parents section that turned out to be missing.

Date: 10 Jun 2014
Description: Rang Peterborough in relation to another question and during the process of the call found out that my interview letter was due to be posted today, however, the guy also gave me the reference number and phone number to call to make the appointment instead of having to wait for the letter to then do it.

mgoblue
Newly Registered

Post by mgoblue » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 pm

It's official...we are all in serious trouble...this is the conversation I just had with HMPO advice line: N.B. I am an Australian National (and British citizen by descent) living in the USA.

---

Me: Hi, my British passport application has been stagnant at Durham for almost eight weeks now. I was informed overnight that my sister was in a serious accident back in Australia and is currently in hospital. Since my Australian passport is with my application, I have no means to travel home to be with her. I contacted the Australian embassy here in the USA and they can only issue me with an emergency passport if I present my Australian birth certificate to confirm my identity. Unfortunately, my birth certificate is also in Durham with my passport application, therefore literally every possible document I could use to get home to my sister is currently stuck in the UK. It is absolutely essential that I revoke my application and have my documents returned to me immediately - I am happy to incur any additional costs required to have them mailed express...are you able to assist me with this?

HMPO: Sorry, the best I can do is put a request for a call back in. If you give me your number, someone will call you within 72 hours to discuss your situation. Please note that even if they agree to return your documents, it will take at least 7 days until you receive them at your address in the USA.

---

What is more ludicrous is the fact that I have already submitted 3 of these call back requests in the past 9 days and, not once, has anyone at HMPO contacted me.

This situation at Durham is absolutely preposterous and I urge every one of you living in the UK to contact your local Member of Parliament immediately - they are the only people with the authority to directly follow up on your passport application. The evidence on this forum overwhelmingly suggests that nothing constructive manifests from calls to the advice line - so bypass them and contact either your MP or the media who are now becoming aware of the gravity of this situation.

neerhem
Newly Registered

Post by neerhem » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 am

juliemjohn
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport application processing timeline - June

Post by juliemjohn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 am

Application Timeline

Application Type: New - (After Naturalisation)
Method of application: Check & Send through Post Office on 04th June 2014
Date of application: 03-June-2014
Date of Fees deduction: N/A (Fees taken at the Post Office)
Date application received by IPS: SMS on 09-June-2014
E-mail confirmation received from IPS: 10-June-2014
Date of return of documents: WAITING
Date of receipt of interview letter: WAITING
Date of Passport Appointment: WAITING
Date of Passport Receipt: WAITING
Last edited by juliemjohn on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

skyturk
Newly Registered

Post by skyturk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 am

Well, I called and didn't booked my appointment due I didn't had reference number but they said currently July and it is peak time, so your application can take up to 8-9 weeks.

Which is very shame, so I need to cancel my holiday :cry:

juliemjohn
Newly Registered

Post by juliemjohn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:21 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27789916 - Delays in processing passports :(

zombie
Newly Registered

Post by zombie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 am

juliemjohn wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27789916 - Delays in processing passports :(
Another one: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ?CMP=fb_gu

I seem to be the minority of the people who applied at the end of April (DHURAM office) and everything was processed on time (well, 6 weeks). Had the interview yesterday and got a text today saying passport is being printed. I never called them, just sent them an extra note in the passport application tracking online form explaining why it is most urgent to get a passport due to the nature of my job and not travelling will lead to financial loses to the UK.

19eggs

Post by 19eggs » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:10 am

******UPDATE 1********
Method of application: Camden Post Office C&S
Date of application: 5th June 2014
Date application received by HMPO: No idea but received an SMS confirming on 11th June 2014
Date of return of documents: TBC
Date of receipt of interview letter: TBC
Date of Passport Appointment: TBC
Date SMS Received: TBC
Date of Passport Receipt: TBC

akash08

Post by akash08 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:23 am

zombie wrote:
juliemjohn wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27789916 - Delays in processing passports :(
Another one: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ?CMP=fb_gu

I seem to be the minority of the people who applied at the end of April (DHURAM office) and everything was processed on time (well, 6 weeks). Had the interview yesterday and got a text today saying passport is being printed. I never called them, just sent them an extra note in the passport application tracking online form explaining why it is most urgent to get a passport due to the nature of my job and not travelling will lead to financial loses to the UK.
Hmm.. I see there is no hope for ordinary people like us.. Did you also mention the amount of financial loss and what % of GDP is that?

ijaz.ahmed

Post by ijaz.ahmed » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm

I think today's passport office beef on media has greased up the processing so My lazy idle timeline got a move as well

Applications Submitted : 15 May 2014 (via post office service)
Any Sms/letter acknowledgment :Never
Inquired online: 3rd June 2014 (via https://www.gov.uk/track-passport-application)
Response email received: 6th June 2014 (Confirming that my application was received at Belfast center on 20th may)
Interview letter received: 11th June 2014 (dated 09th)
Interview booked for : 17th June 2014 (for London Victoria center)

Thats all folks for now ! (will update again once things will proceed on)

And It might help some people, My home address is in Bournemouth but I live & work in London. And I'd explicitly asked them to carry out all the correspondence and documents,passport delivery to my work office in London. I received my interview letter at my work desk today so seems like request has worked actually.

Thanks

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:34 pm

mgoblue wrote:It's official...we are all in serious trouble...this is the conversation I just had with HMPO advice line: N.B. I am an Australian National (and British citizen by descent) living in the USA.
---
Me: Hi, my British passport application has been stagnant at Durham for almost eight weeks now. I was informed overnight that my sister was in a serious accident back in Australia and is currently in hospital. Since my Australian passport is with my application, I have no means to travel home to be with her. I contacted the Australian embassy here in the USA and they can only issue me with an emergency passport if I present my Australian birth certificate to confirm my identity. Unfortunately, my birth certificate is also in Durham with my passport application, therefore literally every possible document I could use to get home to my sister is currently stuck in the UK. It is absolutely essential that I revoke my application and have my documents returned to me immediately - I am happy to incur any additional costs required to have them mailed express...are you able to assist me with this?
mgoblue, I'm very sorry to hear about your sister and the subsequent hassles with getting your passport back. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences and advice for others. Very best wishes to you and your family; I hope you are able to return to Oz.

BCMN1

Post by BCMN1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 pm

BCMN1 wrote:Application Timeline
Method of application: Check & Send
(Apparently Post Office Check & Send service is really slow and takes 5 extra working days to reach Passport Office)
Date of application: 29-05-2014
Date application received by IPS: 04-06-2014
Date of return of documents: 11-06-2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 11-06-2014
Date of Passport Appointment: tba
Date of Passport Receipt: tba