ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tourist Visa for Thai resident in the UK

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Tourist Visa for Thai resident in the UK

Post by bertuzzist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi all,
I'm a Thai citizen and got a UK residence card as a spouse of a EEA national -my husband is Italian.
My husband and I would like to go to New York next Xmas and I am aware I need a visa being Thai. The problem is I don't work in the UK (I am lucky enough my husband's job is enough to live with no worries whatsoever) and apart from a joint bank account, the aforementioned residence card and, of course, my husband I have no other ties with UK.
Do you think this would be enough to get a tourist visa? Obviously I can provide a letter of employment, tenancy agreement and other docs but they would be all on MY HUSBAND'S name, not mine.

Any advice very welcome

Thank you

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:46 pm

forgot to mention i have bills on my name...
no one of you guys keen to give me an opinion??? :cry: :cry:

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 pm

bertuzzist wrote:forgot to mention i have bills on my name...
no one of you guys keen to give me an opinion??? :cry: :cry:
All you can do is apply, and give the evidence you have. No one here can tell you what the probability of an approval will be. The only advice I can give you is not to buy any tickets until you have the visa in your hand.

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Marco 72 wrote:All you can do is apply, and give the evidence you have. No one here can tell you what the probability of an approval will be. The only advice I can give you is not to buy any tickets until you have the visa in your hand.
will do, in my opinion what I have right now is enough to be considered as a strong tie (I mean, why on earth should I decide not to get back to the UK when my husband works here, I have a recidence permit here, got a bank account with a decent amount of money on it here and so on...?). the only problem is the Americans believe their country is heaven 8) but, honestly, I'd like only to be a tourist...so happy here in the UK! :D
thanks for your opinion Marco
ciao

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:06 am

By the way, when will you be eligible to apply for British citizenship? Is that something you plan to do one day?

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Marco 72 wrote:By the way, when will you be eligible to apply for British citizenship? Is that something you plan to do one day?
Hello Marco...I am absolutely not planning to get the British citizenship, I'll be eligible for the Italian's in 2 years time without making tests or filling forms 8)

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

bertuzzist wrote:Hello Marco...I am absolutely not planning to get the British citizenship, I'll be eligible for the Italian's in 2 years time without making tests or filling forms
Keep in mind that getting Italian citizenship can take a very long time. Waiting times of 3-5 years after filing the application are not unusual, and you'd also need to get all your documents in Thai translated (by an official translator in Thailand), then officially certified by the Italian Embassy in Bangkok, etc. I am also Italian, and my wife gave up on applying for Italian citizenship despite becoming eligible years ago. If you apply for British citizenship you can get it within a few months (with far less paperwork), and it should allow you to use the VWP.

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Marco 72 wrote:
bertuzzist wrote:Hello Marco...I am absolutely not planning to get the British citizenship, I'll be eligible for the Italian's in 2 years time without making tests or filling forms
Keep in mind that getting Italian citizenship can take a very long time. Waiting times of 3-5 years after filing the application are not unusual, and you'd also need to get all your documents in Thai translated (by an official translator in Thailand), then officially certified by the Italian Embassy in Bangkok, etc. I am also Italian, and my wife gave up on applying for Italian citizenship despite becoming eligible years ago. If you apply for British citizenship you can get it within a few months (with far less paperwork), and it should allow you to use the VWP.
thanks for your advice, I'll keep it in my mind

:wink:

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Re:

Post by bertuzzist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Marco 72 wrote: Keep in mind that getting Italian citizenship can take a very long time. Waiting times of 3-5 years after filing the application are not unusual,
just for those interested, it took 8 months in total.

good luck everybody.

motanani
Newly Registered

Re: Tourist Visa for Thai resident in the UK

Post by motanani » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:24 am

Hello bertuzzist

I have a similar case to yours (not employed but my EU spouse is), I wonder what did you have to do eventually? Did you get the visa? any advise?

Thanks

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:08 pm

hi

got the visa in the end, my circumstances were the same described in post #1 - so no job and no ties except my husband's.
i guess that the decisive factors for my case were basically 2:

1) my passport was full of visas from previous travels, even in "rich" countries like japan, new zealand and canada. not to mention the uk residence card and the numerous shengen visas i got when i flew to italy prior to marry my husband to be;
2) the joint bank account was considerably big - please don't get me wrong but if you have no job then proving you have money is essential

btw where are you originally from? sadly that can have an impact on your application too

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 am

bertuzzist wrote:hi

got the visa in the end, my circumstances were the same described in post #1 - so no job and no ties except my husband's.
i guess that the decisive factors for my case were basically 2:

1) my passport was full of visas from previous travels, even in "rich" countries like japan, new zealand and canada. not to mention the uk residence card and the numerous shengen visas i got when i flew to italy prior to marry my husband to be;
2) the joint bank account was considerably big - please don't get me wrong but if you have no job then proving you have money is essential

btw where are you originally from? sadly that can have an impact on your application too

hI,
if you dont mind me asking what kind of questions they asked you. I'm applying for a visa next week.
Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 am

sure,

they had asked me why i wanted to visit the states, why i was not working (the answer was candid..."because i don't need to", so the officer took a look at the bank statements and smiled :wink: ), what was my husband's job.

that's it.

good luck

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:41 pm

bertuzzist wrote:sure,

they had asked me why i wanted to visit the states, why i was not working (the answer was candid..."because i don't need to", so the officer took a look at the bank statements and smiled :wink: ), what was my husband's job.

that's it.

good luck
Thanks - very useful - last thing

How long were you there for? from time you enter the embassy etc
and did they allow mobile phone's inside, I'm getting conflicting answers all across some say you can others say you may to hand it in to a shop near the embassy?

Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:12 am

i was there for roughly 90 mins and made sure to adhere to the rules - gave all my electronic stuff to my husband prior to get in.

cheers

:wink:

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am

Hi,

Thanks - I had an appointment yesterday @ 0800 hours. I was at the embassy @ 0700 hours. I was one of the early birds into the embassy. Was inside at 0800 hours, interview @ 0839 - and was out by 0841.

Visa approved :)

Waiting for my passport now.

Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

bertuzzist
Newly Registered
Aruba

Post by bertuzzist » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 am

that's nice news. congrats.

:mrgreen:

Ikonkar
India

Post by Ikonkar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Got my passport back - visa for 10 years :)

Thanks
GOD BLESS
Ikonkar

Kinder2013
Newly Registered

Post by Kinder2013 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Bertuzzist

Are you able to help with some information? We r planning to visit US in July this year.

What embassy did you use? London or Belfast?

When you were at the embassy, do the officer take all your documents or just asks you for what he needs?

I have a situation like yours... Almost! I'm on maternity leave ...my husband works and we have joint account with enough money. I pay most bills. But I only works part time.

What docs did you submit?

My family ties are my husband and my daughter...who I'm travelling with. My husband is British so is my daughter , I have permanent UK permit( ILR). And other ties are my part time job approx 250 per/month which I will return to after my maternity leave ends in May. Is this enough proof of ties in UK

Your help would be appreciated

Many thanks