ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Apparition

Re: British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by Apparition » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:55 pm

absane wrote:I am not sure if "examination process" means that it is laying in an untouched pile or if it is on someone's desk being looked at.
Note "going through the". Examination is one thing, but "going through the" may include sitting on a pile in a locked room first. If it was being dealt with, they'd make that clear (and beef it up) in their reply.

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Update: Passports printed

Passport for: Child
Application Type: 1st passport
Basis: Settled status of parent (EEA Permanent Residency)
Method of application: Postal
Date of application: 27/05/2014
Date application received by Passport Office (post tracking): 28/05/2014 (Durham office)
SMS received (application received): 30/05/2014
Payment taken: 30/05/2014
SMS received (passports printed): 08/07/2014
Date of return of documents:
Date of Passport Receipt:

Notes on our experience:
June 17th: Rang the advice line (0300 number) to chase up the application. Was informed that due to current high demand 1st child passports were taking 4-5 weeks and we should wait a little longer. Also informed that we could request a free upgrade to fasttrack if it got to within a week of travel. Left it at that since we were not due to travel until mid-July.
June 24th: Rang the advice line again. Essentially the same answer. We were advised to give it until 5 weeks.
July 3rd: Rang the advice line again. This time they acknowledged it was taking longer than expected even for current demand, so they mailed the 'Progress team'. This seems to be a new team that has been created in the last few weeks due to the unprecedented demand. They seem to be there to give value-add updates on progress that the front end team don't have access to. Got an email from the Progress team to say that the application was 'under examination'. I wasn't satisfied with that answer so I rang Durham directly on the number provided earlier in this thread. Got through after around 20 minutes. They weren't thrilled to help as the number is supposed to be response to letters only, but they agreed to check. I found out that the application had been sitting in a queue for weeks but had just been passed to the Examination Team in the last couple of days. The Examination team is responsible for checking the evidence for the application. I was told I would get a call back in a few days but should not depend upon the application being processed in the next fortnight as it was not straightforward (both parents born outside the UK).
July 7th: Received a call from the team leader of the Examination team in Durham to say that the passport checks had been done and he was pressing the button to get the passports printed and that I should have them this week.
July 8th: Received text that the passports have now been printed.
July 8th: Finally got the call back from the Progress team that had been requested on July 3rd. This just reiterated the information that I already had.

So, it seems we are almost there and the passport should come this week in time for us to travel. If I hadn't had the good news this week, my next actions were going to be:
- wait until late this week then write to my MP to weigh in on our case.
- if still no update by early next week, call the Adviceline back to ask for the free upgrade to Fasttrack.
Incidentally I'm not sure whether they are still offering the free upgrade now. They certainly were in June when the crisis peaked, but now they seem to be catching up a bit so I'm sure they'll pull this offer as soon as they think they can justify it. Worth arguing for if you are within 7-10 days of travel though.

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Apparition wrote:
absane wrote:I am not sure if "examination process" means that it is laying in an untouched pile or if it is on someone's desk being looked at.
Note "going through the". Examination is one thing, but "going through the" may include sitting on a pile in a locked room first. If it was being dealt with, they'd make that clear (and beef it up) in their reply.
Going on our experience, this does 'mean' something. I believe it means that the application is now part of the batch that they are currently actively working on to check the application and associated evidence. Hopefully won't be long for you now, but it might be worth chasing the passport office where the application is at directly if the Adviceline are still giving you the same answer in a couple of days. Whether you want to put yourself through that depends on how soon you need it.

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 pm

jotter wrote:
Apparition wrote:
Going on our experience, this does 'mean' something. I believe it means that the application is now part of the batch that they are currently actively working on to check the application and associated evidence. Hopefully won't be long for you now, but it might be worth chasing the passport office where the application is at directly if the Adviceline are still giving you the same answer in a couple of days. Whether you want to put yourself through that depends on how soon you need it.
Yes, could be part of a batch that's due to be examined. Still doesn't mean it's commenced any examination yet. All speculation of course.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:26 pm

absane wrote:
absane wrote:Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New (Citizen by descent)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: May 13th 2014
Date application received by IPS: May 19th 2014
Date of return of documents: Haven't received
Date of receipt of interview letter: Nothing
Date of Passport Appointment: Nothing
Date of Passport Receipt: (waiting)
I finally received a response from HMPO via e-mail:

Code: Select all

I can confirm that we received your application at our Liverpool office on 19/05/2014.

Your passport application is currently going through the examination process.

I am not sure if "examination process" means that it is laying in an untouched pile or if it is on someone's desk being looked at.
It means nothing. I received exactly the same reply after 3 weeks and at the end of 8 weeks my status was the same. Durham office told my application is yet to be picked by someone.

once your application is received, next status is going through examination process and the status remains the same till your interview letter is generated and then the status becomes waiting for interview authentication.

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:53 pm

LOL I knew I was right despite having limited experience. Some of you guys are still too naive when it comes to their BS 'Home Office speak' on their headed paper.

You guys should search for these passport office workers through Linkedin to see what they look like and their credentials. Might be an interesting experience for you.

londonellebelle
Newly Registered

Post by londonellebelle » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:05 pm

UPDATE - in bold
Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New, Naturalized
Method of application: Post Office Check & Send Service, Canary Wharf, London.
Date of application: 23/05/2014
Date of SMS received: Never
Date application received by IPS: Uknown- still waiting for reply to online enquiry
Date of return of documents: 24/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 21/06/2014 (dated 19/06/2014)
Date of Passport Appointment: 01/07/2014 (London Victoria)
Arrived for appointment only to be told that my profile had not been sent through and apologised as they were unable to proceed with interview. I had to then wait 24 hours before rebooking for Sunday 06/07/2014.
Date of SMS received passport is being printed: 07/07/2014
Date of Delivery: Missed DX delivery 08/07/2014, rebooked delivery online to work address for 11/07/2014
:D

Rain

Post by Rain » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Application Timeline
Application Type: New
Date of application: 6/6/14
Date application received by IPS: 10/6/14
Date of return of documents: Still waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Still waiting
Date of Passport Appointment: Still waiting
Date of Passport Receipt: Still waiting

We are travelling on 24/7. Its only 10 days to go so decided to withdraw application to get the Pakistani passport back. Have been trying to call 0300 number and still waiting for a call back. Please help with how to withdraw an application. They can keep the fee. Any email address/ fax /phone number for Liverpool office as 0300 guys and online inquiry only give a generic answer.

himani
Newly Registered

Post by himani » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:45 am

Child UK passport renewal.
Please let me know after how many days of getting the child new passport, do I get the supporting documents back. I am waiting for the old UK passport which has the OCI stamp.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:38 am

Can someone please confirm if the interview appointment letter address you as mr/mrs last name or is it supposed to be full name. I have got my letter but it addresses me as mr last name. Appreciate your response!

JPB

Post by JPB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 am

They can keep your application on hold and return your Pakistan passport but it's not a straight forward process you think it's easy. In most circumstances they will need to priotise and u may get cleared . Call daily till u get it.

asadulla

Post by asadulla » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:26 am

asadulla wrote:
asadulla wrote:Application Timeline
Passport for: 2 Adult + 2 Child
Application Type: New (Nationalised)
Method of application: Postal (Sent through Special delivery)
Date of application: 13/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 19/05/2014
Date of return of documents: 25/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 21/06/2014 dated 19/06/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 05/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 07/07/2014

akash08

Post by akash08 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 am

BC_Applicant wrote:Can someone please confirm if the interview appointment letter address you as mr/mrs last name or is it supposed to be full name. I have got my letter but it addresses me as mr last name. Appreciate your response!
I have apepared for the interview without an interview letter and hence clearly it should not matter what name they write on your interview letter. Your details should be their in the system when you go for the interview, that is it.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:15 am

akash08 wrote:
I have apepared for the interview without an interview letter and hence clearly it should not matter what name they write on your interview letter. Your details should be their in the system when you go for the interview, that is it.
Thanks Akash08

maher.786
Newly Registered

Post by maher.786 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:37 am

BC_Applicant wrote:Can someone please confirm if the interview appointment letter address you as mr/mrs last name or is it supposed to be full name. I have got my letter but it addresses me as mr last name. Appreciate your response!
It usually just include the last name as along with either mr/mrs, Infact my name on a letter was included the same way as yours now so no need to worry.. GOOD LUCK

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am

thanks maher.786

antouk

Post by antouk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Passport for:2 Adult + 2 children
Application Type: Naturalisation first British passport
Method of application: Post Office: Check and Send
Date of application:31/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 04/05/2014 Liverpool
Date of SMS: NEVER
Date of return of documents: Waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Waiting.
Date of Passport Appointment: 11/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: Waiting

UPDATE : Got a call from the passport examiner, he gave me the reference number for booking the interview. I have booked it for friday(11/07).
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:04 pm

All done!! Passport and supporting docs came on the same day. 43 days in total. 40 days from receipt of SMS. Glad I gave it a full 8 week buffer before we needed to travel, even though the delay scandal only broke after my daughter's application was submitted.

Passport for: Child
Application Type: 1st passport
Basis: Settled status of parent (EEA Permanent Residency)
Date of application: 27/05/2014
Date application received by Passport Office (post tracking): 28/05/2014 (Durham office)
SMS received (application received): 30/05/2014
Payment taken: 30/05/2014
SMS received (passports printed): 08/07/2014
Date of return of documents: 09/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 09/07/2014

Wrightfamily
Newly Registered

Post by Wrightfamily » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:35 pm

4 Passport applications as follows:

Date of application: 30/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 02/06/2014
Date of return of documents:
Date of receipt of interview letter:
Date of Passport Appointment:
Date of Passport Receipt:

Application Type: Change in name
Date of application: 30/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 02/06/2014
Date of return of documents: 24/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: n/a
Date of Passport Appointment: n/a
Date of Passport Receipt: 20/06/2014

Passport for: Minor
Method of application: Check & Send
Date of application: 28/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 29/05/2014
Date of return of documents: 07/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 07/07/2014

Passport for: Minor
Date of application: 28/05/2014
Date application received by IPS: 29/05/2014
Date of return of documents: 09/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 09/07/2014

:D NEARLY THERE 3 OUT OF 4 APPLICATION ARE NOW COMPLETED

JUST WAITING FOR THE 1ST ADULT PASSPORT APPLICATION TO COME THROUGH...HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED AN INTERVIEW LETTER YET BUT THANKFULLY WE ONLY TRAVEL IN DECEMBER SO WE AREN'T WORRIED JUST YET.

tehmer

Post by tehmer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Finally got a reply from PO after 4 weeks of applying.

hank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that we received your application at our Durham office on 23/06/2014.

Your passport application is currently going through the examination process.

Correctly completed applications are generally being processed within the timescales of the service you have applied for:

If you posted your application the current processing time is approximately 4 weeks, allowing for postage. Please note this is not a guaranteed service time.

If you applied using the Check and Send service, available through selected branches of Post Office Limited, your application has a turnaround target of 3 weeks. This, however, is not a guaranteed service and turnaround times may exceed this during periods of peak demand.

Thank you

lea123
Newly Registered

Post by lea123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 am

Application Timeline
Date of application: 31st May
Date application received by IPS: 5th June
Date of return of documents: /
Date of receipt of interview letter: /
Date of Passport Appointment: /
Date of Passport Receipt: /

Starting to get a little worried now! It is 5 weeks today and still not heard a thing

Wrightfamily
Newly Registered

Post by Wrightfamily » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

Could someone advise if the interview letter arrives via Royal Mail or with the same courier who delivers the passports?

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:07 am

Wrightfamily wrote:Could someone advise if the interview letter arrives via Royal Mail or with the same courier who delivers the passports?
I got my interview letter this week and con confirm it comes via normal post.

lea123
Newly Registered

Post by lea123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:21 am

BC_Applicant wrote: I got my interview letter this week and con confirm it comes via normal post.
How long ago did you send off your application?

keerthi

Post by keerthi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:29 am

I called them everyday like clock work...same answer of 6-8 weeks minimum...and every day they say that they will send the e-mail to processing team, getting really worried that I may miss the vacation planned in Aug 1st week.

Now the direct no. to peterborough is not working - 0845 601 5549, is there any other no. we can try...?