ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How NCS works question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Maxwell

How NCS works question

Post by Maxwell » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 am

Hi

It would be interesting to find out from people who experienced Nationality Checking Service.

After living on various visas for 11 years and making all applications myself, I probably became sort of control freak in this process. But I don't think it's a bad thing.

So, my question is, when you do NCS and, for example they find that you did not put a tick somewhere or forgot to write something somewhere, do they first notify you about it and sort of ask your approval to correct it? Or can the correct it even without letting you know?

Thank you very much! :D

Casa

Re: How NCS works question

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 am

They will check your application with you and advise if you need to complete or amend anything.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 am

Casa wrote:They will check your application with you and advise if you need to complete or amend anything.
But not always correctly, I suspect.

We are applying for BC, but the HO kept the LIUK certificate enclosed with the ILR app 12 months ago, NCS say you need it so take it again. Advice given here is that it's not needed so long as you tick the box and reference it in a cover letter. Here's hoping!

Yes, we should have copied it but I remember us frantically doing this in Leeds Central Library last year at great cost due to the sheer amount of shite need for ILR app, the queue for the photocopier was growing, the closing time for the Post Office was fast approaching, and the number of 20p's in my pocket was diminishing. So we cut and ran thinking surely we'd get the Cert back anyway.

The relief of getting it in the post overrides any common sense in these situations.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Thank you.

Well, I also wonder, is it worth doing. It is not the question of the fee for sure, after paying so many fees to HO, 120 pounds for a couple to do NCS seems like a joke.

I just not sure the guys there have more experience than we have. I wonder, does it generally speed up application processing? I mean does UKBA love to see application which came through NCS? Is it sort of "value for money solicitor" or is it just more complexity and more chances to do some sort of mistake with the "help" of NCS workers.

I just want to do the best thing to improve chances of having application for Naturalisation done within 2-3 months (or hopefully even slightly faster) like most people and not get unlucky and wait for 6 months or more, like some unfortunate applicants.

johnj1

Post by johnj1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Very simple, follow the guidance notes on how to complete the application form and send the necessary documents with it, you should be fine, using NCS don't maximise chances of getting naturalisation application approved.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:29 pm

NCS council webpage claim that it may speed up things.

I think it may by couple of weeks at least because HO should be more relaxed about applications which were preliminary checked.

I wonder, is there any statistics or something, which shows that NCS applications are even slightly faster than standard. I want to get processed ASAP.

irric
Newly Registered

Post by irric » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

It has one more advantage(to me its the only one) that they copy your documents and give you the originals back.... Correct me if i am wrong.

royh

Post by royh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 pm

irric wrote:It has one more advantage(to me its the only one) that they copy your documents and give you the originals back.... Correct me if i am wrong.
I believe this is the case and one the pluses of using NCS. As well as a buffer for queries, they don't offer "advice" but they can double check something.

Also don't they have their own photocopiers for documents - they're supposed to give them back to you after all and not send the originals? Doesn't mean they also don't make mistakes themselves of course.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Well, yes. Having original documents is an advantage.
But my nationality is such that I can not travel much anyway.

But at least less chances that some document gets lost.

Do you think it can speed it up at least by 10-20% ? I think it can. Probably it is more comforting for UKBA to see documents were preliminary checked, don't you think? :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Maxwell wrote:Well, yes. Having original documents is an advantage.
But my nationality is such that I can not travel much anyway.

But at least less chances that some document gets lost.

Do you think it can speed it up at least by 10-20% ? I think it can. Probably it is more comforting for UKBA to see documents were preliminary checked, don't you think? :)
Pound to a penny they are all chucked in the same pile.....

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:02 pm

My sentiments too. After all, the applications will still have to be checked for any errors. The NCS staff are by no means infallible. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:23 pm

So, in other words, you think it does not speed it up? :shock: :?

Even 10-20% ? :shock:

Maybe you're solicitors who don't like NCS as competitors? :lol:

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm certainly not a solicitor and have no vested interest whatsoever...and I can vouch for Wanderer. Just giving my opinion.
I'm guessing you're looking for the answer you want to hear that it's quicker through the NCS. This is in the words of Birmingham NCS;
"Will my application be processed quicker if I use the Nationality Checking Service?
No. The Nationality Checking Service is not a priority service. The time it takes the Home Office to deal with an application varies according to individual circumstances and other factors such as the number of applications under consideration at a particular time."
There you go then. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Although the NCS should not expedite your claim it is advantageous as it allows you to keep important documents such as your Passport and it helps to reduce the chance of error which could lead to refusal.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:05 pm

In no way I'm interested in traveling 4 hours to Edinburgh, Casa. And also paying for the service and probably hotel. But if it makes applications quicker by a week on average, then it's worth it. Even 5 days... That's why I asked.

Here is what written at Edinburgh NCS:
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/articl ... _edinburgh
People who use the Nationality Checking Service offered by the City of Edinburgh Council increase the chance of their applications being approved without unnecessary delays.

Trained staff offer a one-stop shop for applicants, who previously had to either travel to South Lanarkshire or south of the border to get documents checked or risk losing original documents by submitting them directly.

Registration staff will make sure that the correct paperwork is being submitted, photocopy all documents and return the originals, check that applications are filled out properly and then send them by special delivery to arrive at the Home Office in Liverpool the next again working day.

Completed forms sent with the right documents are processed more quickly and cuts down on red tape. Having the forms and documents checked first by trained officials reduces these risks and may also cut the time spent waiting for a result.
It gives the impression that it speeds it up. Or it's not? They give this impression, but I'm not worried in forgetting to put some documents after so many visas... And I would be glad not to do it. But, if it makes it faster even by a week, I would do it. I think there are other people like me, so this topic should be probably interesting not only to me.

I am ready to agree with you, Casa and Wanderer. Especially taking into account that they earn money on it, so why not to describe it attractively. When I read it, I was under impression it will speed it up at least a little. And I thought it is logical for ukba to process it at least slightly faster. But I see you logic too. And it's funny how different councils describe it differently.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:01 pm

'Completed forms sent with the right documents are processed more quickly and cuts down on red tape'
I would interpret this differently. They're not saying that their processing speeds things up, simply the obvious that if an applicant's documents are in order there will be less chance of delay. It's quite cleverly worded.
(Casa, not CR001)

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:34 pm

After your and Wanderer's messages I started to look at it this way too.

So guys, you probably saw a lot of processing speed timelines here and did not notice any difference, correct? :)

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Affirmative
(Casa, not CR001)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Maxwell wrote:After your and Wanderer's messages I started to look at it this way too.

So guys, you probably saw a lot of processing speed timelines here and did not notice any difference, correct? :)
Best if you consider it another UK Gov plc way of extorting another few quid by preying on the minds of the applicants...

Like the LIUK test, the book to go with it, the PEO service....

I've worked as a consultant for the DLVA, DWP and HMRC, and the pace of work there is sllllooowwwwww.....

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Clear answers. Thank you very much.

:P