ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lea123
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by lea123 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Application Timeline 
Passport for: Adult 
Application Type: New
Method of application: Check & Send 
Date of application: 31st May
Date application received by IPS: 5th June
Date of return of documents: /
Date of receipt of interview letter: 18th july
Date of Passport Appointment: 2nd Aug (reading.. They had sooner appointments but this was the first one we can make)
Date of Passport Receipt: /

Does anyone know how long it is ACTUALLY taking for passports to be delivered after the interview? I fly on the 2nd sept so have a month after the interview..

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:09 pm

lea123 wrote: Does anyone know how long it is ACTUALLY taking for passports to be delivered after the interview? I fly on the 2nd sept so have a month after the interview..
The passport take anything between 2 to 10 working days. Most people including myself have got it in less than a week.

lea123
Newly Registered

Post by lea123 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 pm

BC_Applicant wrote:
lea123 wrote: Does anyone know how long it is ACTUALLY taking for passports to be delivered after the interview? I fly on the 2nd sept so have a month after the interview..
The passport take anything between 2 to 10 working days. Most people including myself have got it in less than a week.

Ah good, we have 35 days so should be fine.. Can finally see the light at the end of this longggg tunnel!

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:14 pm

lea123 wrote:
Ah good, we have 35 days so should be fine.. Can finally see the light at the end of this longggg tunnel!
Definitely!

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 pm

looks like home office are now working on Saturdays as well which is a good news !
received a reply yesterday

lets hope Durham office is in good processing speed. The bottom part of the email is drafted by someone who is not very sure as mentioning same thing 2 times .

anyone with any experiences with DURHAM offices ? their contact number ?
Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that we received your application at our Durham office on 15/07/2014.

Your passport application is currently going through the examination process.

Correctly completed applications are generally being processed within the timescales of the service you have applied for:

If you posted your application the current processing time is approximately 4 weeks, allowing for postage. Please note this is not a guaranteed service time. Please note that if you are aged 16 or over and are applying for your first passport you will be required to attend an interview as part of the application process. We recommend that you allow 6 weeks for your application to be processed.

If you applied using the Check and Send service, available through selected branches of Post Office Limited, your application has a turnaround target of 3 weeks. This, however, is not a guaranteed service and turnaround times may exceed this during periods of peak demand. Please note that if you are aged 16 or over and are applying for your first passport you will be required to attend an interview as part of the application process. We recommend that you allow 6 weeks for your application to be processed.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Daymohktim
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Daymohktim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Runie80

My application was sent to Durham.

To get interview letter and an appointment for interview it took overall 6 weeks from the date they received my application.

No MP involved to speed up the process. Just called them twice at the end of weeks 5. I used this number: 03002220000

Jav13
Newly Registered

Post by Jav13 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Application Timeline
Method of application: Check & Send
Date of application: 17.07.2014
Date application received by IPS:
Date of return of documents:
Date of receipt of interview letter:
Date of Passport Appointment:
Date of Passport Receipt:

Muscovite

Post by Muscovite » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:46 am

Passport for: 1 Adult
Application Type: Naturalisation first British passport
Method of application: By post
Date of application: 29/5/14
Date application received by IPS: 3/6/14
Date of SMS: 4/6/14 (Liverpool office)
Date of return of documents: 19/07/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 10/07/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 15/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 22/07/2014

adeelmpk
Newly Registered

Post by adeelmpk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Application Type: First time (naturalised citizen)
Method of application: PO Check and Send
Date of application: 16/06/2014
SMS received: 23/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 17/07/2014 [Since I was already chasing it, someone from passport office gave me a call on 16/07 and provided the reference number and advised I can book the interview straight away]
Date of return of documents: 17/07/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 17/07/2014 - Reading office had next day appointments available
Date of Passport Printing SMS received: 18/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 21/07/2014

adeelmpk
Newly Registered

Post by adeelmpk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Dassie wrote: @adeelmpk - how frequently/through whom were you chasing your application? I applied on the same day as you, so great to see some approvals coming through! But want to see what I can do to hurry it up. Thanks in advance.
I phoned a few times and MP chased 2 or 3 times using their hotline - my work requires frequent travel [pretty much weekly basis], so I couldn't send my foreign passport however included a covering letter from employer. Also involved local MP to ensure that processing isn't delayed due to that. I'm not sure if my application was expedited however passport came through today. I've updated posted my timeline in the last message.
Last edited by adeelmpk on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betitoo
Newly Registered

Post by Betitoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Does anyone know how we receive our supporting documents back? I have booked my passport delivery with DX for coming Wednesday but still waiting my documents.

Spydie3
Newly Registered

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by Spydie3 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Application Type: First time (Naturalised Citizen)
Date of application: 06/06/2014
SMS received: 11/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 15/07/2014 [Since I was already chasing it, someone from MP office gave me a call on 14/07 and provided the reference number and advised I can book the interview straight away so I did for 15/07]
Date of return of documents: 18/07/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 15/07/2014 - Maidstone Office
Date of Passport Printing SMS received: 16/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 18/07/2014

Thanks to the forum it has been a great help and inspiration!!
My suggestion if you are struggling to get a proper answer from the advice line and need to travel contact your local MP and they will definitely help.

ZINXYX
Newly Registered

Post by ZINXYX » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 am

Passport for: 2 Adults
Date of application: 03/06/2014
SMS received: 06/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 11/07/2014 [Dated 09/07/14; contacted MP on 08/07/14]
Date of return of documents: 11/07/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 14/07/2014 - Birmingham
Date of Passport Printing SMS received: 15/07/2014 [ Second adult 18/07/14]
Date of Passport Receipt: 16/07/2014 [Second adult 21/07/14]

I wish to express my sincerest gratitude to everybody on this forum for all your help over the years. Wishing everyone still waiting all the best. :D :D :D

SpyderBryte
Newly Registered

Post by SpyderBryte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 am

SpyderBryte wrote:
SpyderBryte wrote:Application Timeline
Method of application: Postal - Recorded
Date of application: Sent 6/6/14
Date application received by IPS: Recorded post 7/6/14
Date of SMS confirmation: 10/6/14

Received a letter advising the the payment sent with my application was invalid and was advised to call 0300 222 1111 to pay by debit card. Called at 6pm, automated service said everyone was busy so opted for the call back service. 8.25pm now and heard nothing. Tried again, still have the 'everyone's busy' message :(

Date of return of documents: n/a
Date of receipt of interview letter: n/a
Date of Passport Appointment: n/a
Date of Passport Receipt: n/a

Oh, and I believe my application is at the Liverpool office, as this is where the recorded delivery shows it being recieved.
Okay. So. I rang about a week and half - two weeks ago on the main helpline. Spoke to a wman named Lydia who said that it was sitting in the examination process and had been since the 16th June. She was talking though the stages and said the next stage would be printing. Pretty shocked, i asked whould I not need an interview. She said no, said it would be with me by the 20th.

So i got to work today, fed up because still no sign of it. So i rang again. Spoke to someone called Liam who said it had been in the examination process for 5 weeks today, said that it was a strange length of time because its not normal for it to be that long. So he said he'd contact the more in depth side unless he was on for more than a minute in which case I'd be passed through myself.

So im sitting there, waiting, and the phone gets picked up with a very rude "What?" So i apologised and explained the situation. Woman on the other end huffed and took details, looked at a few more things and said "No, you've been told incorrect information. You will need an interview. Whn is it you're aiming to travel." So i told her - 4th september - and she just turns around and says "WEll, it could be another 4 weeks before they ask you to an interview so you can forget travellling then. Its just no feasable. need to wait and called back in 4 weeks if you've not heard anything. You're chasing too soon." I asked if there was nothing they could do/advise and she just said "No. You're being unreasonable chasing this early." And basically, put the phone down. (I understand, this is probably tainted from my view of the conversation but i assure you, this is actually what happened)

They've had it 7 weeks this week, and frankly, the way ive just been spoken to is not okay. I'm giving it an hour or so, Then thinking i'll either calling back and complaining, or calling the liverpool office direct and see whats happening their side or something. I dont know. It's just a joke!! I know we're all in the same boat but still. If what i've been told is the right information, it looks like I'm not going on our honeymoon, a year later already.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 am

SpyderBryte wrote: So im sitting there, waiting, and the phone gets picked up with a very rude "What?" So i apologised and explained the situation. Woman on the other end huffed and took details, looked at a few more things and said "No, you've been told incorrect information. You will need an interview. Whn is it you're aiming to travel." So i told her - 4th september - and she just turns around and says "WEll, it could be another 4 weeks before they ask you to an interview so you can forget travellling then. Its just no feasable. need to wait and called back in 4 weeks if you've not heard anything. You're chasing too soon." I asked if there was nothing they could do/advise and she just said "No. You're being unreasonable chasing this early." And basically, put the phone down. (I understand, this is probably tainted from my view of the conversation but i assure you, this is actually what happened)

They've had it 7 weeks this week, and frankly, the way ive just been spoken to is not okay. I'm giving it an hour or so, Then thinking i'll either calling back and complaining, or calling the liverpool office direct and see whats happening their side or something. I dont know. It's just a joke!! I know we're all in the same boat but still. If what i've been told is the right information, it looks like I'm not going on our honeymoon, a year later already.
I would urge you to get in touch with your MP and update him regarding the conversation and his office can definitely help.

SpyderBryte
Newly Registered

Post by SpyderBryte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks. Have contacted them but i guess its just a case of waiting. Again.

Edit:

So just had a phone back from them. Really apologetic and asked for the reference number so they could get involved. Actually shocked at how quickly they responded :s

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43 am

SpyderBryte wrote:Thanks. Have contacted them but i guess its just a case of waiting. Again.

Edit:

So just had a phone back from them. Really apologetic and asked for the reference number so they could get involved. Actually shocked at how quickly they responded :s
Ironically that's the only way they work these days!

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Method of application: Special delivery
Date of application: 2/06/2014
SMS received: 6/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 11/07/2014
Date of return of documents: 16/07/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 19/07/2014
Date of Passport Printing SMS received: 21/07/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 22/07/2014

I submitted an online enquiry on 4th July, had a reply on 9th July and found out that my application was going through the examination process in Belfast, although it was sent to Durham!

Thanks to all the members on this forum for updates and for sharing their experience
Best of luck to all those still waiting.

ashpan23
Newly Registered
India

Post by ashpan23 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Passport for: Adult+Child
Date of application: 01/07/2014
SMS received: 07/07/2014 (Durham Office)
Date of receipt of interview letter: Waiting [Called on 21/07 to Durham office for normal enquiry. 22/07 Caseworker called me and provided the reference number and advised I can book the interview straight away.]
Date of return of documents: Waiting
Date of Passport Appointment: 24/07/2014 - Edinburgh Office
Date of Passport Printing SMS received:

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:53 pm

ashpan23 wrote:Passport for: Adult+Child
Date of receipt of interview letter: Waiting [Called on 21/07 to Durham office for normal enquiry. 22/07 Caseworker called me and provided the reference number and advised I can book the interview straight away.]
That's very well done it took less than 4 weeks for you!

Haphazardeous
Newly Registered

Post by Haphazardeous » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 pm

That's very quick! Did you use 0300 222 0000 for your enquiry?

muzammil1124

Post by muzammil1124 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Congrats Man, seems that Durham office is working way better than Belfast one. Called up the Belfast office and they said they are still working on applications from 15th June. I am going to call them again tomorrow and hopefully would be able to get something out of them. :roll:

ashpan23
Newly Registered
India

Post by ashpan23 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Haphazardeous wrote:
That's very quick! Did you use 0300 222 0000 for your enquiry?
It's 08456015175 ... and waiting time was around 1 hr.. I just asked to return my old passport for travel.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:44 pm

wow 4 weeks turnaround with interview is impressive (considering the op didn't hassle or chased them.) :D
Lets hope Durham office is quick and we all hear something quick.

I think once 3 weeks have passed one should contact them as suggested here by people but some of the horror stories here are really shocking of people waiting 8 to 10 weeks and still no response.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

lea123
Newly Registered

Post by lea123 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 pm

SpyderBryte wrote:
SpyderBryte wrote:
SpyderBryte wrote:Application Timeline
Method of application: Postal - Recorded
Date of application: Sent 6/6/14
Date application received by IPS: Recorded post 7/6/14
Date of SMS confirmation: 10/6/14

Received a letter advising the the payment sent with my application was invalid and was advised to call 0300 222 1111 to pay by debit card. Called at 6pm, automated service said everyone was busy so opted for the call back service. 8.25pm now and heard nothing. Tried again, still have the 'everyone's busy' message :(

Date of return of documents: n/a
Date of receipt of interview letter: n/a
Date of Passport Appointment: n/a
Date of Passport Receipt: n/a

Oh, and I believe my application is at the Liverpool office, as this is where the recorded delivery shows it being recieved.
Okay. So. I rang about a week and half - two weeks ago on the main helpline. Spoke to a wman named Lydia who said that it was sitting in the examination process and had been since the 16th June. She was talking though the stages and said the next stage would be printing. Pretty shocked, i asked whould I not need an interview. She said no, said it would be with me by the 20th.

So i got to work today, fed up because still no sign of it. So i rang again. Spoke to someone called Liam who said it had been in the examination process for 5 weeks today, said that it was a strange length of time because its not normal for it to be that long. So he said he'd contact the more in depth side unless he was on for more than a minute in which case I'd be passed through myself.

So im sitting there, waiting, and the phone gets picked up with a very rude "What?" So i apologised and explained the situation. Woman on the other end huffed and took details, looked at a few more things and said "No, you've been told incorrect information. You will need an interview. Whn is it you're aiming to travel." So i told her - 4th september - and she just turns around and says "WEll, it could be another 4 weeks before they ask you to an interview so you can forget travellling then. Its just no feasable. need to wait and called back in 4 weeks if you've not heard anything. You're chasing too soon." I asked if there was nothing they could do/advise and she just said "No. You're being unreasonable chasing this early." And basically, put the phone down. (I understand, this is probably tainted from my view of the conversation but i assure you, this is actually what happened)

I know it doesnt help the situation with you, but my application was just a day ahead of yours, and i received my letter on friday.. So there is still hope and a chance it may come soon!

Id advise you to contact your MP, as i did (and although the mp said it was too soon to chase it, they did call the passport office) and i received my letter 3 days later.. Coincidence or not its worth a try