ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for Passport, but I have no previous Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

macjackbauer
Newly Registered

Apply for Passport, but I have no previous Passport

Post by macjackbauer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:40 am

hi just got approval letter from ho for uk citizenship, and I am very happy.

But one thing tho, on the IPS website, when you apply for passport you have to supply any un-cancelled passport.

But as you know, i got my ILR from the 5 year program and I never had any passport in the last 10 years.

I can go to my embassy to ask for one, but when i phone them up they said I need to supply letter from UK HO to say i have not join uk citisenship.

This is really upset me, and my back is back against the wall

what should i do ?

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 am

You have to supply any uncancelled passports if you have any. Seeing as you don't have any then you don't need to supply any.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 pm

As per this link:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... pplication

It states that you must send the passport you used to come into the UK. It conflicts with Astrid's reasoning though I can understand her logic. I would suggest that you phone UKBA to find out exactly what is required to be on the safe side.

Alternatively, you can get proof from the UK Border Agency that you have not yet become a British Citizen:

Completed Form NQ
Completed payment form (2nd page of the “nationality-fees” PDF])
Forms available for download from the following page:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... t-british/

The fee is £88 and you need to post the two forms to:

Department 101
UK Border Agency
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

Form NQ will be returned to you with an official signature/stamp (yes, they charge a fortune to check on their computers and stamp a form that you have already filled in for them). It took about 10 days for me to receive mine back from UKBA which was required to apply for retention of my South African citizenship.

Good luck!

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:05 am

Yeah RoyalFlush is correct, OP, if you have the passport you came to the UK with then you have to send that with your application. But seeing as your post made no mention of the passport you came to the UK with I assumed you don't have that either. I'm no expert at all but if you have no other passports then how can you submit a passport with your application? What would be the point of applying for a new passport from your country of origin just so you could apply for a British passport?

I think that you should just write a cover note with your application explaining the reasons why you don't have a passport and therefore couldn't send it with your application, and perhaps enclose some other forms of identification instead. But like I said, I'm no expert and don't want to give someone wrong advice so just call up the IPS advice line: 0300 222 000 and ask them what you need to do. I've heard they're really helpful.

Good luck!

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:04 am

RoyalFlush wrote:As per this link:

It states that you must send the passport you used to come into the UK.
That's interesting: previously some people have said that they didn't send the expired passport they used to come to the UK, e.g. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=842975, and the old passport application guidelines were ambiguous.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 am

barnaby wrote:
RoyalFlush wrote:As per this link:

It states that you must send the passport you used to come into the UK.
That's interesting: previously some people have said that they didn't send the expired passport they used to come to the UK, e.g. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=842975, and the old passport application guidelines were ambiguous.
As the passport application form caters to all british citizens, irrespective of their path to citizenship, the instructions are bit ambiguous. One needs to submit relevant documents that are applicable to his situation. The passport used to enter UK for the first time (old/expired one) is not required for applicants that became British through naturalisation/registration route.

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:16 pm

ban.s wrote:As the passport application form caters to all british citizens, irrespective of their path to citizenship, the instructions are bit ambiguous. One needs to submit relevant documents that are applicable to his situation. The passport used to enter UK for the first time (old/expired one) is not required for applicants that became British through naturalisation/registration route.
The instructions on https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... pplication (which I think are new) seem to be different from the previous instructions, and are still a bit ambiguous!

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't think the instructions have been worded with due care in the new gov.uk website.

refer to the table of supporting documents at page 14.

it has much clearer checklist.

table B relates to passport used to enter to UK for the first time and is not applicable to people applying on the basis of naturalisation.

babe_khyber
Member of Standing

Post by babe_khyber » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:08 pm

ban.s wrote:I don't think the instructions have been worded with due care in the new gov.uk website.

table B relates to passport used to enter to UK for the first time and is not applicable to people applying on the basis of naturalisation.
In my limited knowledge you will be fine don`t worry just submit the document which is already you submitted for your naturalisation application should be fine without any problem but just asking your own country embassy or conciliate if they allow dual citizenship or not then you decided. Which option is best for you.
best wishes
babe khyber

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm

ban.s wrote:I don't think the instructions have been worded with due care in the new gov.uk website.

Hello mate,

Reading your reply in conjunction with another post that you made here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=842975

Am I correct in interpreting that under these circumstances (naturalization), the passport used to enter the UK is not required but the current passport is still required?

Thanks in advance.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Then it seems that macjackbauer will need to get a passport from his embassy based on this info (as I interpret macjackbauer post that he does not have ANY passport - either current or cancelled).

Although, as Astrid has suggested, macjackbauer should first give IPS a call to see if there is a way around.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Is OP an EEA national and posses national identity card instead of passport? I don't know yet. If so, that will probably do in lieu of passport.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: Apply for Passport, but I have no previous Passport

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 pm

macjackbauer wrote:hi just got approval letter from ho for uk citizenship, and I am very happy.

But one thing tho, on the IPS website, when you apply for passport you have to supply any un-cancelled passport.

But as you know, i got my ILR from the 5 year program and I never had any passport in the last 10 years.

I can go to my embassy to ask for one, but when i phone them up they said I need to supply letter from UK HO to say i have not join uk citisenship.

what should i do ?
You are worrying for no reason whatsoever, and people are bombarding you with endless debates and needless expert advice. In your mind you have created a problem that does not even exist.

Now you can read this post (lecture) carefully and apply for passport.

They are asking for any uncancelled passport. That means uncancelled passport/s if you have got any. If you haven't got any uncancelled passport, then you won't provide it. They are asking for uncancelled passport if it exists, not for a passport that does not exist.

Now if they ask details of any children of an applicant, and if someone does not have children, then does it mean he has to find a woman, have children, and then provide the details?
:wink:

There are thousands of people who were granted ILR after asylum/legacy. These thousands of people never held a passport ever before. They just entered in the back of a lorry. After getting British Citizenship, they all now have British passport, and yes-without showing any previous passports.

You do not need to waste your time and money to go to your home country's embassy to get a passport.

Just send your application mate, and write in a covering letter that you do not have any uncancelled passports. It is as simple as that. :)

macjackbauer
Newly Registered

Post by macjackbauer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:
macjackbauer wrote:hi just got approval letter from ho for uk citizenship, and I am very happy.

what should i do ?
You are worrying for no reason whatsoever, and people are bombarding you with endless debates and needless expert advice. In your mind you have created a problem that does not even exist.

Now you can read this post (lecture) carefully and apply for passport.

They are asking for any uncancelled passport. That means uncancelled passport/s if you have got any. If you haven't got any uncancelled passport, then you won't provide it. They are asking for uncancelled passport if it exists, not for a passport that does not exist.

Now if they ask details of any children of an applicant, and if someone does not have children, then does it mean he has to find a woman, have children, and then provide the details?
:wink:

There are thousands of people who were granted ILR after asylum/legacy. These thousands of people never held a passport ever before. They just entered in the back of a lorry. After getting British Citizenship, they all now have British passport, and yes-without showing any previous passports.

You do not need to waste your time and money to go to your home country's embassy to get a passport.

Just send your application mate, and write in a covering letter that you do not have any uncancelled passports. It is as simple as that. :)
i love you thank you very much

Daymohktim
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Daymohktim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Ayyubi72 is right!

A similar case solved here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 65087.html