ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national applying for BC please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sylvia532

EU national applying for BC please help

Post by sylvia532 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am

Hello

I just spoke to a woman from NCS trying to make an appointment and she claims that as an EU national I need to prove my residency in the UK since 2009 until now. I have the blue PR which I acquired in January 2012. I stopped working in May 2012 so I don't have any official document proving that I was here until September 2013 when I became a student again. To cover that gap period I only have banks statements which apparently are insufficient. Does that mean I can't apply for BC because I don't have document to prove I was residing in the UK between May 2012 and September 2013? Im really shocked and stressed out now and would very much appreciate any advice

lake1

Re: EU national applying for BC please help

Post by lake1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 am

sylvia532 wrote:Hello

I just spoke to a woman from NCS trying to make an appointment and she claims that as an EU national I need to prove my residency in the UK since 2009 until now. I have the blue PR which I acquired in January 2012. I stopped working in May 2012 so I don't have any official document proving that I was here until September 2013 when I became a student again. To cover that gap period I only have banks statements which apparently are insufficient. Does that mean I can't apply for BC because I don't have document to prove I was residing in the UK between May 2012 and September 2013? Im really shocked and stressed out now and would very much appreciate any advice
Well maybe you didnt hear her well or she is mistakenly, you need to prove you were in the UK in 2009 and your passport is sufficient for this.

As you have PR the only thing you might need to show is that you havent lost it by leaving the UK for more than 2 years. A council tax or utility bill should be enough for this.

So apply with the PR, your passport and something to show you havent lost the PR as stated above, with all the other documents / requirements and you should be fine.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 am

As the British do not stamp EU passports on entries and exits, providing a passport may be insufficient.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

lake1

Post by lake1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 am

vinny wrote:As the British do not stamp EU passports on entries and exits, providing a passport may be insufficient.
As the OP in this case has a PR then his P60 - if he was a worker - for 2009 should suffice.

Also in the application AN form there isnt ant differentiation between EU national and non EU national for proving 5 year residency, they simply asked for passport to proof this or letter from employer, P60 etc, but I get your point.

sylvia532

Post by sylvia532 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 am

Thank you both for replies

the woman said I need to provide evidence that I have been in the UK for the last 5 years (2009-2014). I was sure that after acquiring PR it doesn't matter if I don't work, study etc. I left my last job in May 2012 because I was bullied by the manager (my husband was making enough money to support us both). I was looking for a new job but then got pregnant at the end of 2012. As a result between May 2012 and Sept 2013 I was unemployed. We weren't claiming any benefits either. What would you advise me to do in my situation? The woman said that only official documents can be used e.i. p60s, university letters, hmrc letters.

I've been a full time student since Sept 2013 so does that mean I can apply for BC earliest in 4 years (5 years since becoming a student) just because of that gap in 2012/2014?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 pm

See also Appendix B (2. Checking the residence requirements) for other documents, besides a passport, that may strengthen your case.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.