ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion after BC and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: General discussion after BC and Passport application

Post by milan69 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:53 am

If you have not been married for 3 years than you have to wait one year.
I am sometimes wrong.

Superman4life
Newly Registered

Post by Superman4life » Sun May 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi Milan69

Thanks for your response.

Are you certain about the fact I have to wait a year? The reason I ask is that from the new HO site - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... let-an.pdf

If you go through the link to the document above

The requirements for naturalisation as a British citizen differ depending on whether or not
you are applying on the basis of marriage tocivil partnership with a British citizen.
A. If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen
(section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981)
The legal requirements you should meet before you apply are that you:
1. Are aged 18 or over when you apply
2. Are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen on the date of application
3. Are of sound mind, so that you understand the step you are taking (but see page
10 for those who are not of sound mind)
4. Can communicate in English (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) to an acceptable degree
5. Have sufficient knowledge about life in the UK
6. Are of good character
7. Have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years before you apply and meet the
following residence requirements:

The residence requirements:
1. You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 3 years before the application is received by the Home Office. For example if your application is received on 20/1/2010 you should have been physically present in the United Kingdom on 21/1/2007. Most applications that fail do so because applicants have applied even though they cannot satisfy the residence requirement to be present in the UK at the beginning of the residential qualifying period.
2. You must not have had more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom in the three year period before making the application (but see the section on Absences on page 7).
3. You must not have had more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the 12 month period before making the application (but see the section on Absences on page 8).
4. You must be free of immigration time restrictions on the date of application (see the section on Immigration Time Restrictions).
5. You must not have been in breach of the immigration rules in the 3 year period before making the application (see the section on Breach of Immigration Law). Some discretion may be exercised over the residence requirements at 2 – 5 above if there are special circumstances. If you do not meet these residence requirements but believe that there are special circumstances in your case, you should explain them when you apply.

From the above, it does not suggest that I have to wait for a year although my ILR was via 10 year rule - and my naturalisation is via marriage - I have lived in the UK for 11 years now so I have been phyically present in the UK for well over 3 years.

Bearing this in mind, I dont think I'm unable to apply for naturalisation at this stage

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:00 pm

You are right, you have to wait one year only if you are applying on basis of 5 year residence.
It seems as if you are able to apply as long as you meet residence and good character requirements.
I am sometimes wrong.

RainyDayRun
United States of America

Post by RainyDayRun » Mon May 12, 2014 1:53 pm

RainyDayRun wrote:Hi,

I can't find this listed anywhere, but does anyone have experience with how long it takes for the invitation letter to be mailed to the US? The debit was taken back in March, I never recieved a confirmation letter, and there has been no reply to my email. I realize that processing times can vary, I'm just wondering about the actual time for the package to be shipping from the UK to the US. I'm a little concerned that my US passport is lost in the mail somewhere!

Thanks!
Letter was in the mailbox when I got home! Woo hoo!

Now to get familiar with how to get visas for the rest of the family...

imranbutt
Newly Registered

Post by imranbutt » Wed May 14, 2014 4:54 pm

hi can any one let me know which documents i need to submit to apply for British passport, after getting my British CITIZENSHIP certificate.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Certificate, your current passport, photo with referee's signature, application form.
I am sometimes wrong.

MissScotland04
Newly Registered

Change of name and passport application

Post by MissScotland04 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi,

I became a British citizen yesterday and would like to send an application for a British passport next.
At this point in time I'd also like to change my last name and take my husband's name. I read online that in order to change your last name following a marriage there's no need for a deed pole, just inform record holders of the requested change and backup with the marriage certificate.
Question is, will it work with an application for first passport after naturalization? I have to send my naturalization certificate which has my current last name but request the name to be different and send my marriage certificate with it...? Will that work or will I need a deed pole in such case?

Many thanks!!

imranbutt
Newly Registered

Post by imranbutt » Thu May 15, 2014 7:52 pm

hi, thanks for your reply, one more question, can any one explain me British Passport application section 4, it has 4 blocks, which blocks i need to tick (X), do i only need to write my parents details or do i need write my grandparents details too in section 8.
thanks for help.

RE_G
Newly Registered

Post by RE_G » Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm

hal wrote:hi everyone ,
if anyone could you please advice me or share the experience if you had same situation.
this is my question, i applied for a naturalisation in october 20 finally i got approved on this month and attend my ceremony today.
urgently i have to go sri lanka next week. can i go to sri lanka by my sri lankan passport?
your advice much appreciated. thank you.

I am in the same position as you (will receive my naturalisation certificate next week but need to travel to Sri Lanka soon thereafter). Did you travel to Sri Lanka on SL passport and get back to the UK?

imranbutt
Newly Registered

Post by imranbutt » Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am

hi, can any one explain me British Passport application section 4, it has 4 blocks, which blocks i need to tick (X), do i only need to write my parents details and do i need write my grandparents details too in section 8.
thanks for help.

hkahn7
Newly Registered

Post by hkahn7 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and is very helpful. My question is I used NCS Deby on 19 May, the royal mail tracking reference number given to me when I track this in royal mail site, its says this
"Special Delivery Guaranteed™ items are first tracked when they have reached our mail centre. This may be late in the evening on the day the item was sent. Information on your Special Delivery Guaranteed™ item is not yet available".
I rang NCS and they said its been send special guarantee next day on 20 May. Now I am not sure weather it reaced homeoffice or not, fee has not been deducted from my account yet, does any body knows if its normal, thank you

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Wed May 28, 2014 10:57 am

Been inadvertently posting on the Timeline thread didn't know there was a passport application thread discussion. So here is my story so far and would appreciate any advice...

I got my BC in jut about 4 weeks and I applied for Passport on the 11th of March, delivered Next day on the 12th of March. Got interview letter on the 29th of March, had interview on the 12th of April.... Been waiting Since for my passport even though examiner said should have it in 10 days.. I have since been calling the durham office repeated and they keep telling me its been escalated to a manager and I will get a call back but that has never happened, contacted my MP last week and he said he ll look into it. Had a trip booked for 17th May but lost my ticket fee unfortunately, it i frustrating, seems its lost in their system, initially i was told i ll get it in 5 days when i call but now its just that its been escalated and that I should wait. not sure how long for its exactly 11 weeks today.

utopia
Newly Registered

Post by utopia » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:28 am

Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me if it is possible to collect a British Passport directly from one of the HMPO offices in London or elsewhere a few days after the passport interview? I know HMPO send passports through DX courier but I've recently had a case of misplaced delivery resulting from unimaginable recklessness shown by DX delivery staff and have lost faith in them.

Please let me know how I can get HMPO to inform me as and when my passport is ready for collection from one of the HMPO / IPS offices

Regards,

Utopia

arthurlvice
Newly Registered

Post by arthurlvice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Hello

To help you better understand the circumstances:
I hold dual citizenship as a South African and Brit. I have only recently acquired British Citizenship through naturalization and would need to apply for my passport after the 26th June 2014. I need to travel to South Africa for a short holiday from 25 July 2014. The current waiting times for a passport is 'at least 6 weeks' according to the gov.uk website . This inadvertently means that the British passport will not be ready in time . I still have have my bio metric residency card fom when I applied for indefinite leave to remain . Would I be able to re-enter the UK with my South African passport and my bio metric residency card?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding the question

ladie14
Newly Registered

Post by ladie14 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 pm

utopia wrote:Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me if it is possible to collect a British Passport directly from one of the HMPO offices in London or elsewhere a few days after the passport interview? I know HMPO send passports through DX courier but I've recently had a case of misplaced delivery resulting from unimaginable recklessness shown by DX delivery staff and have lost faith in them.

Please let me know how I can get HMPO to inform me as and when my passport is ready for collection from one of the HMPO / IPS offices

Regards,

Utopia
Call the helpline services for your enquiry, you can use your work place address but they will want your employer to back you up with letter that you are working there.

bilalazeem
Newly Registered

Post by bilalazeem » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 am

Hi, I submitted passport application for my kids through Post Office 'Check and Send' service...not sure which office the applications were sent out to..in the process of finding that out...
We will be moving to a new address in a weeks time..what's the procedure for updating HM Passport Office with new address details please? we were anticipating this move (but I wasn't sure about the new address then) so I did add a letter with application requesting that please check for new address before posting the passports and originals back... but given their current workload situation not too sure if someone will actually read that request ....would appreciate your help..thanks!

newbie_t

Post by newbie_t » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:47 pm

bilalazeem wrote:Hi, I submitted passport application for my kids through Post Office 'Check and Send' service...not sure which office the applications were sent out to..in the process of finding that out...
We will be moving to a new address in a weeks time..what's the procedure for updating HM Passport Office with new address details please? we were anticipating this move (but I wasn't sure about the new address then) so I did add a letter with application requesting that please check for new address before posting the passports and originals back... but given their current workload situation not too sure if someone will actually read that request ....would appreciate your help..thanks!
Could you not put a mail redirection to your new address?

bilalazeem
Newly Registered

Post by bilalazeem » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:04 pm

newbie_t wrote:
bilalazeem wrote:Hi, I submitted passport application for my kids through Post Office 'Check and Send' service...not sure which office the applications were sent out to..in the process of finding that out...
Could you not put a mail redirection to your new address?

They don't re-direct the passport delivery...

mrsenn

Post by mrsenn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi Guys

I posted this under a different section, I hope this is the correct one.
Passport for: 1 Adult
Application Type: New
Method of application: Post office Check n send service
Date of application: 07-May-2014
Date application received by IPS: 14-May-2014 by Durham Passport Office
Date of receipt of interview letter: Awaiting
Date of return of documents: Awaiting
Date of Passport Appointment: Awaiting
Date of Passport Receipt: Awaiting

It has been more than 7 weeks since I made my application and I haven't received any letter. Repeated phone calls to 0300 number as well as Durham office not yielding any results. All they say is documents etc seem to be alright and it is still being examined and that I should receive a letter for interview soon. Any suggestions guys as to what I can do ?

Tommo71
Newly Registered

CHILD CITIZENSHIP QUESTIONS

Post by Tommo71 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 am

I am a british citizen and my son (12) is a US citizen, and currently resides in the US. I was recently successful in obtaining his British citizenship (April 2014). I now want to get his British passport, but have been told by the passport office that he needs to be in the UK when applying. He will be flying over in August with the intention of staying with me and attending school in September, and obviously I will be making an appointment with the passport office to get his British passport. My question is, will he have problems entering the UK on a US passport and his British citizenship, if his return flight is booked for December (to visit his mum) obviously this being past the standard 3 month visit period.

thanks

dahveedoff
Newly Registered

Post by dahveedoff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Im about to apply for my first British passport and I just realised my current passport (my native country) is no longer valid as I have not renewed it. Do you know if all passports sent along with the application have to be valid?

Thanks

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:50 pm

dahveedoff wrote:Hi Guys,

Im about to apply for my first British passport and I just realised my current passport (my native country) is no longer valid as I have not renewed it. Do you know if all passports sent along with the application have to be valid?

Thanks
I think you need to only send valid passports. however if none exists just include a cover letter explaining that and you will be fine.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

jacki121
Newly Registered

Post by jacki121 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:07 pm

hi,

Can your own accountant be one of your referees in NA form application?

thanks.

ak_akhan
Newly Registered

Post by ak_akhan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:46 pm

I applied through NCS for naturalisation in July, received a letter to send original life in the UK test and my city and guilds esol pass certificate entry level 3, which I send, received another letter today to send full esol certificate.

The one I have got says certificate of unit credits towards certificate. My friends wife got her naturalisation through the same certificate passed from the same center in Liverpool. So I don't understand why they are questioning mine.
I will call city and guilds on Monday to see what they say.

I would appreciate some advice from you guys as in past I have always got my answers through this forum.
Thanks

jefstudent

Post by jefstudent » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to confirm the Naturalisation requirements please.

I am applying for Naturalisation on the basis of marriage to british citizen and I have read the AN booklet for requirements and all i found is that HO is looking for following documents.

1. Your & Partner passport
2. English language and Life in UK test
3. Marriage certificate.

Can anyone advise please that if I am missing anything??

I will be really grateful.

Thanks