ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

BC_Applicant

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:52 pm

akash08 wrote: Thanks. I was bit confused whether they are asking for bith certifcate and I guess from your list that is NO.

Can you please let me know if the copies need to be self attested like surrender certificate or not?

Also I guess 1 photograph is over and above what you pasted on the form?
Forgot to mention all copies have to be self attested!

No Birth Certificate Needed as the Passport has the DOB

Also just one photo which needs to be pasted on the form is needed. I gave additional photo but they didn't need it.

tshan
Newly Registered

Post by tshan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 am

Hello Friends,

I have applied for OCI and it got processed. But yet to get stamped in my passport. Meanwhile, I am in India for a vacation (using entry visa) for 4-5 weeks. Will the embassy hold my OCI until I return and send my passport? How long will the embassy wait for the individual to respond to the processed OCI ?

sunilbit
Newly Registered

Post by sunilbit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 am

sunilbit wrote:I was getting the same error since Friday.
Search by 'File (Acknowledgment) No' did the trick. Use the 'Retrieve Forgot Details' OCI service to retrieve the 'File (Acknowledgment) No' at URL: https://passport.gov.in/oci/forgotRegis

Thanks 'techie_09'

Application timelines (4 Applications: Me, partner and two kids):
Date Of application and Acknowledgment 16-June-2014
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED : 25-July-2014
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 28-July-2014
Document received At LONDON: 30-July-2014

asadulla

Post by asadulla » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am

asadulla wrote:Hi

I have applied for OCI through Post to CGI Birmingham.

I wanted to know how do you get the acknowledgment(by post, email, sms or update on the online status) and when will the online status change to other than record not found. I want to know time it take for the day embassy receives the application

Thanks

This is my OCI timeline --- Current Status on OCI Tracking website --- UNDER PROGRESS
Family application(Myself, wife and 2 kids)

Applied by post to Consulate General Birmingham : 21 July 2014
Received at CGI Birmingham: 22 July 2014
Original Received back from CGI Birmingham: 29 July 2014
Date of acknowledgement: 30 July 2014 --- I didn’t get any confirmation from High commission, i saw the status on website.
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED : Waiting
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On: Waiting
Document received At London On: Waiting
Post passport by Special Delivery : Waiting
Documents received at HCI London: Waiting
Received stamped passport and OCI booklet on: Waiting

Till the application was acknowledged, the status on the website was showing as "No Record Found"

Pvsc27
Newly Registered

Post by Pvsc27 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 am

I am surprised that status is updated and documents seems to be received at London earlier than i have expected, thanks for the GOOD service.
Now need to send passport to get OCI affix on it.

Application timelines (1 Adult):
Date Of application and Acknowledgment 19-June-2014 (@ London by person)
Documents Printing Status - PROCESSED : 26-July-2014
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 28-JUL-2014
Document received At LONDON: 30-JUL-2014

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 am

Applicant Name X X X
File Acknowledgment Number GBRLXX
Application Date: 28-JUL-2014
Application Location: London (in person)
Date Of Acknowledgment 28-JUL-2014
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
Current Document Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS

Will keep you guys posted on the timelines.

rmistry
Newly Registered

Post by rmistry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 am

For those who applied at HCI London, please could you let me know how long you had to wait between the time scheduled using the "online booking system" and when you were at the OCI counter?

A relative of mine, who is a permanent resident is India, is currently visiting the UK (has a British passport with an Indian visa that expired just after he/she arrived in UK). My relative would now like to apply for OCI before he/she returns to India.

(Q1) can this OCI application be submitted through HCI London or any other Indian embassy based in UK?
(Q2) can I submit an application on my relative's behalf if my he/she provides an authorisation letter?

Supporting documents are birth certificate (laminated) and Indian passport of his/her mother. No supporting documents for his/her father. Laminated documents are not accepted as given on the HCI London webpage.

(Q3) The only other supporting documents to show his/her Indian origin are Resident Permit, Utility Bill. Can they be used?
(Q4) For proof of Indian origin, do you need a show link to both parents?

If OCI can't be done from UK, then only other way I can see to get one is apply for Tourist Visa for return to India and apply from there using same documents. If this fails, then get a Nativity Certificate?

akash08

Post by akash08 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 am

BC_Applicant wrote:
akash08 wrote: Have you applied for OCI? Can you list the documents you submiited and your experience please?
I have an appointment on 4th August.
Application for OCI made in London HCI on 28th July 2:00 PM appointment.
Appointment booked on 25th July Friday
Docs submitted:
Filled Form
Payment £175 in Cash (You can pay by Cash or through Postal Order)
1 Photograph
1 Copy of Surrender Certificate (Had to show original just for Surrender Certificate)
1 Copy of the photo page of the British Passport
I copy of Naturalisation Certificate

Everything was hassel free went it just before 2 and I was the 2nd name to be called. Finished the formalities in 5 mins and was out by 2:10 PM

Thanks!

Hi

One final question. The instruction says the form has to be submitted in duplicate. Is that true? We need two copies of the form?

I do not remember to see any one mentioning that here?

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:18 pm

akash08 wrote:
The instruction says the form has to be submitted in duplicate. Is that true? We need two copies of the form?

I do not remember to see any one mentioning that here?
No duplicate copies needed for anything.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Never thought i will have so many questions about OCI.

i have not uploaded my photo in online application. I am naive at photoshop to produce exactly sized photographs meeting all criteria. I assumed that has to be optional, they can not expect us to be digital photography experts.

However the website FAQ section has the following

13. The status of my OCI document in the online status enquiry is 'Granted' and but has not been printed even after a week. What is the problem?

The possibility is that the photograph uploaded could not be printed in Delhi. To rectify this, please take a copy of the status report and paste a fresh photograph (51x51mm with 80% coverage of face) on the left hand below the status report copy & sign (thumb impression in case of infants) on the right hand side opposite to the photo and submit it at token counter of High Commission or send by post. This will be scanned and uploaded again. This process is likely to take a further period of up to two weeks and the progress can be watched through status enquiry

Now looks like i have to upload photo but so many things written here are incorrect. Suggestion please?

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:35 pm

akash08 wrote:Never thought i will have so many questions about OCI.

i have not uploaded my photo in online application. I am naive at photoshop to produce exactly sized photographs meeting all criteria. I assumed that has to be optional, they can not expect us to be digital photography experts.

However the website FAQ section has the following

13. The status of my OCI document in the online status enquiry is 'Granted' and but has not been printed even after a week. What is the problem?

The possibility is that the photograph uploaded could not be printed in Delhi. To rectify this, please take a copy of the status report and paste a fresh photograph (51x51mm with 80% coverage of face) on the left hand below the status report copy & sign (thumb impression in case of infants) on the right hand side opposite to the photo and submit it at token counter of High Commission or send by post. This will be scanned and uploaded again. This process is likely to take a further period of up to two weeks and the progress can be watched through status enquiry

Now looks like i have to upload photo but so many things written here are incorrect. Suggestion please?
The photograph uploaded during the appointment procedure is optional. I didn't upload any photo then. I think what they are saying is maybe the photo which we submit might be getting uploaded! Don't think things are wrong out here but then again you are not bound to go with the suggestions here. It is people sharing their experiences.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:51 pm

@bc

By here i mean the website of hci. They tell the forms have to be submitted in duplicate but only one copy is rquired. They say 2 photographs required but only 1 asked and so many. This forum is lifeline, i trust this forum more than the hci website.

I do not live in London and have to take one full day leave for this. That is why i want to be sure that i will not be sent back like many i have seen when i was in HCI before. Unless you are from Kerala, any silly mistake you do, you are thrown out.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:45 am

akash08 wrote:@bc

By here i mean the website of hci. They tell the forms have to be submitted in duplicate but only one copy is rquired. They say 2 photographs required but only 1 asked and so many. This forum is lifeline, i trust this forum more than the hci website.

I do not live in London and have to take one full day leave for this. That is why i want to be sure that i will not be sent back like many i have seen when i was in HCI before. Unless you are from Kerala, any silly mistake you do, you are thrown out.
Oh that I agree. I saw a lot of people confused. Some who didn't bring the right Photos some who hadn't self attested the photocopies and a lot of people who had absolutely no clue as to how to collect the OCI once submitted.

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:07 am

My updated timelines are :

Applied in-person at High Commission : 25 June 2014
Date of acknowledgement: 25 June 2014
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED : 30 July 2014
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On: 31 July 2014
Document received At London On: 01 Aug 2014
Post passport by Special Delivery : 02 Aug 2014
Documents received at HCI london: 04 Aug 2014 (Manju @ HCI)
Received stamped passport and OCI booklet on: Waiting

==============

I am looking forward to receive my stamped passport soon :)
Techie

akash08

Post by akash08 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:46 pm

What an experience today. Reached HCI at 2:05 for appointment at 2:30 and was allowed to enter after 2:20. Waiting there i saw 2 of the applicants from 2 pm slot sent back. They argued, shouted, got frustrated but sent back. Then 2:30 appointment came in. 2 people went before me and one lady sent back. my name is called next. Was not nervous, have seen this before, so many people just land up there doing no preparatory work, fight over silly things and mostly sent back correctly. It was my turn sadly to be on the receiving end.

The lady took the forms and immediately thrown away my wifes form? asked what is wrong and the answer was the appointment letter only says my name. I said but the appointment booking systems asked

Number of applicants visiting High Commission of India by Appointment(no.of Adults):

My wife is not visiting, i am visiting , why should i say 2? She wont listen to it.

When logic does not work, bribe has no chance, there is only one weapon left. Made my face that i have made so many times to request teachers to give me that extra marks to increase my grade, said it is really a mistake from me and can you please help as i do not stay in London and it will be a great problem for me to come another day. Instant result, she said off course i can help and processed both the applications.

Do not if it is a good or bad experience. All i can say that with the previous employees in HCI i had no chance, this time i observed the ladies are explaining, speaking in better manner and as in my example helping.

So, end of the day all good but not without its share of tension. Can not wait to get this immigration journey over. 2 more months to go.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 pm

akash08 wrote: So, end of the day all good but not without its share of tension. Can not wait to get this immigration journey over. 2 more months to go.
We'll done mate!

dan_vels
Newly Registered

Post by dan_vels » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 am

akash08 wrote:What an experience today. Reached HCI at 2:05 for appointment at 2:30 and was allowed to enter after 2:20. Waiting there i saw 2 of the applicants from 2 pm slot sent back. They argued, shouted, got frustrated but sent back. Then 2:30 appointment came in. 2 people went before me and one lady sent back. my name is called next. Was not nervous, have seen this before, so many people just land up there doing no preparatory work, fight over silly things and mostly sent back correctly. It was my turn sadly to be on the receiving end.
Congratulations Akash.

It would be great, if you could please explain the "preparatory work" that you made. I'm sure your detailed information would save many applicants time.

For a person who got the surrender certificate the next step is to apply OCI. What are the exact steps to get OCI?
I understand all details are in hci website. But there is a confusion about the online application and how to take it from there.

Any responsone would be great.

Bc_applicant, any additional information from you is appreciated.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 am

dan_vels wrote: Bc_applicant, any additional information from you is appreciated.
I Followed the infamous rule of KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

OCI Preparation was one of the most straightforward application I have made since I decided to come to the UK 6 and a half years back now.

So once you get the Surrender Certificate:

The steps are as follows:
1. Go to https://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html this site explains the procedure to apply
2. Go to http://passport.gov.in/oci/ and create your New OCI registration. When you do a OCI new registration you are provided with OCI Registration number/Passport number* you use this number to input in step 3 when scheduling an appointment. The OCI registration asks for an online photo which is not mandatory and I didn't bother with it. This also allows you to download the form which needs to be printed signed and submitted at the Mission
3. Schedule an appointment by going to https://www.visaservices.co.in/IHC-UK-A ... eUVLcp3A4= I got the Monday appointment on Friday and I was the 2nd number to be called on the day so the sooner you apply the lesser you might have to wait on the day.

Docs to be submitted:
OCI Application Form with one photograph pasted (One form for all applicants from a family)
Self attested Copy of the Photopage of British Passport
Self attested Copy of Naturalisation Certificate
Self attested of the Surrender Certificate*
£175 in cash
* They did insist on seeing the original surrender certificate

On the Day:
I reached London HCI at 2 and I was one of the first numbers to be called. It got done in less than 5 mins and I was out with the details of how I can check the status of application.

How you would check the status:
Go to http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury and enter your file acknowledgement number and passport number
this became active from the next day of submission of the application

dan_vels
Newly Registered

Post by dan_vels » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 am

BC_Applicant wrote:
dan_vels wrote: Bc_applicant, any additional information from you is appreciated.
Thanks, simple and clear.

Just to add few points:
The online "Step 2" (New OCI Registration) mentioned by BC_Applicant consists of 2 parts (Part A, Part B).
Just fill in the details, continue, click on "Complete". It details, now that you have completed "Part A" continue with "Part B".
Fill the part B details and generate the ".PDF" file.
For some reason for few people the file gets generated as "GBRLN........pdf.txt", in such case convert the file to "GBRLN........pdf"

akash08

Post by akash08 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Any one knows what is the natural colur of Sun?

That is the question that came in Captcha for me!!

Why they are so difficult with me?? :(

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm

akash08 wrote:Any one knows what is the natural colur of Sun?

That is the question that came in Captcha for me!!

Why they are so difficult with me?? :(

Good one what did you answer?

anandv76
Newly Registered

Post by anandv76 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:11 pm

Anyone able to retrieve their OCI status on the website? I am getting a "No such record found" for my application, which till a couple of days ago shows the application was under process. Want to know if the system is down (likely) or if my application has mysteriously disappeared!

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:15 pm

anandv76 wrote:Anyone able to retrieve their OCI status on the website? I am getting a "No such record found" for my application, which till a couple of days ago shows the application was under process. Want to know if the system is down (likely) or if my application has mysteriously disappeared!
Try with your File acknowledgement no. rather than the online registration number. That should do the trick? When did you apply?

anandv76
Newly Registered

Post by anandv76 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 pm

BC_Applicant wrote:
anandv76 wrote:Anyone able to retrieve their OCI status on the website? I am getting a "No such record found" for my application, which till a couple of days ago shows the application was under process. Want to know if the system is down (likely) or if my application has mysteriously disappeared!
Try with your File acknowledgement no. rather than the online registration number. That should do the trick? When did you apply?
I applied more than three weeks ago. And have been able to retrieve my application a couple of days ago with the same details that I used today.

BC_Applicant

Post by BC_Applicant » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:20 pm

anandv76 wrote: I applied more than three weeks ago. And have been able to retrieve my application a couple of days ago with the same details that I used today.
I know what you mean but the system has been temperamental to be honest!