ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for Child born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

British Passport for Child born in India

Post by joseprithvi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi,

Me and My wife both are from India and are now British Citizens which was acquired via naturalisation. My wife is going to give birth to second child in India. I would need to apply for the passport for the baby. What is the process for it?

Many thanks
Raj

Amber
Mood:

Re: British Passport for Child born in India

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:37 am

Wouldn't it be a better option for the child to have an Indian Passport with a CoE?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 am

Amber - as both parents are British, the child can't claim Indian citizenship

Raj - also see --> https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/india

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 am

ban.s wrote:Amber - as both parents are British, the child can't claim Indian citizenship

hi ban.s in case if mother has Indian citizenship.. can she follow the process that Amber said and come to UK and apply for British citizenship ?

do u know how long is the process to get Indian citizenship and COE for a new born whose father is Naturalized.. ?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks ban.s I missed that.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:23 am

IndiMarshall wrote:
ban.s wrote:Amber - as both parents are British, the child can't claim Indian citizenship

hi ban.s in case if mother has Indian citizenship.. can she follow the process that Amber said and come to UK and apply for British citizenship ?
Yes, a child born in India to an Indian mother (or father) is Indian by birth and can apply for Indian passport. If the other parent is British, then the child is also British by birth and can apply for CoE RoA for travel to the UK. Applying for British citizenshelp is not relevant later unless you meant Britisth Passport.
IndiMarshall wrote: do u know how long is the process to get Indian citizenship and COE for a new born whose father is Naturalized.. ?
No idea

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 am

A CoE is usually 4-6 weeks.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:04 pm

ban.s wrote:
IndiMarshall wrote:

Yes, a child born in India to an Indian mother (or father) is Indian by birth and can apply for Indian passport. If the other parent is British, then the child is also British by birth and can apply for CoE RoA for travel to the UK. Applying for British citizenshelp is not relevant later unless you meant Britisth Passport.
IndiMarshall wrote: do u know how long is the process to get Indian citizenship and COE for a new born whose father is Naturalized.. ?
No idea
Yeah I meant british passport . so the kid can travel with Indian passport & COE ROA to UK and apply for British passport with no hassels isnt it?

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:06 pm

Amber wrote:A CoE is usually 4-6 weeks.
In India this period is lot better than applying for british passport.. as I heard it takes 4 months and chances of more rejections..

sushira
Newly Registered

Post by sushira » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi,

I am in UK and my wife and son is in india we applied for british passport for my son in may but i have decided to change my job and now new employer is not accepting the soft copy and requires my original british passport which is with the HMPO since may as a supporting documents for my son's passport application any help is appreciated.

Many thanks
Sus

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:43 am

sushira wrote:Hi,

I am in UK and my wife and son is in india we applied for british passport for my son in may but i have decided to change my job and now new employer is not accepting the soft copy and requires my original british passport which is with the HMPO since may as a supporting documents for my son's passport application any help is appreciated.

Many thanks
Sus
All jobs needs these checks isnt it?
Continue in same job for time being...

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:43 am

Many thanks
Sus
presume you are naturalised british citizen, show your employer the original naturalisation certificate in lieu of passport.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:52 am

ban.s wrote:

Many thanks
Sus
presume you are naturalised british citizen, show your employer the original naturalisation certificate in lieu of passport.

I wonder if HR's of different organizations agree or understand this ?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 am

let's not prejudge HR's knowledge

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

So I am clear - As we both are british citizens (via naturalisation) with british passports the only way my new born can enter into UK is through applying british passport from India??

As mentioned by Indimarshall it is true that applying british passport in India is both time consuming and equally stressful and there is no guarantee that we can get one.

What options does my baby have to enter into UK other than via British Passport?

Thanks guys

Raj

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Dear Experts any suggestions on my below query please as I have to start the process now
thanks
joseprithvi wrote:Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

So I am clear - As we both are british citizens (via naturalisation) with british passports the only way my new born can enter into UK is through applying british passport from India??

As mentioned by Indimarshall it is true that applying british passport in India is both time consuming and equally stressful and there is no guarantee that we can get one.

What options does my baby have to enter into UK other than via British Passport?

Thanks guys

Raj