ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application for minor

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Haris2108

OCI application for minor

Post by Haris2108 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 am

Hi

Can you kindly guide me for this situation as I am about to apply OCI for my kid?

Father: Naturalized to British from Indian nationality ( still not yet applied for British passport)
Mother: Indian citizen with ILR
Child : 3 year old, now registered/naturalized as British citizen earlier he was having Indian passport

I am thinking to apply OCI for child initially as he needs to travel soon to India to attend a wedding once his British passport is received and Indian passport is surrendered.
But can he get OCI being minor or he can apply for PIO?

Pls advise
haris

man4uni

Re: OCI application for minor

Post by man4uni » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:07 pm

You cannot apply for child's OCI alone.

Please check point (d) under Section C

(d) OCI Applications for minor children

Please note that one of the parents should have foreign nationality and he/she should be eligible for OCI before applying OCI for his/her minor children.

Reference: https://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html#cc

Meaning - You need to apply for your British passport then Surrender your and your child's Indian passport and get the Surrender Certificate for both. Then you can apply for OCI for yourself and your child.

Hope this helps.

Haris2108

Post by Haris2108 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:39 pm

thanks for the response man4uni.

Cant he apply based on his mother's indian passport or his original indian passport although he is minor?

Cheers
haris

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Unfortunately no ... One of the parent has to be British passport holder and should be applying for OCI.

In simple words one cannot apply OCI for his/her kids unless one of the parent has already OCI or applying for OCI

Kids cannot have OCI before one of the parents!

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Also make sure you have Surrender Certificate for yourself and your kid before you apply for OCI.

Surrender Certificate is one of the important prerequisites to apply for OCI.