ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for my UK born Kid

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2

skumar123a

British Citizenship for my UK born Kid

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 am

Hi

My son is born in UK and then got his Indian passport. he is in India now. We will get ILR in AUgust.
As my son was born in UK he is eligible to apply for British Citizenship (confirmed by' 'Amber, in reply to a post in 'ILR' section in this forum).

However I have couple of questions, so thought it would be idela to post in this section.

1. Though my son and his passport are in India, can I still apply for his registration(Naturalisation) here in the UK.

2. Once I get his Naturalisation, where to I have to apply for his pssport. In British High Comission Delhi or from here in the UK.

3. If I get his passport here, can I take his passport with me to India.

4. If I take the passport with me and when I bring my Son with me to UK, will there be a problem at the Border.

Kindly take your time to reply as I can save money if I can apply for his naturalisation instaed of applying for ILR dependant and then when my son is here apply for Naturalisation.

Thanks
Satya

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizenship for my UK born Kid

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 am

You may register him as British whilst he is abroad under section 1(3) on form MN1. I'd think it'd be quicker to apply for the child's CoE in India once registered.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 am

Amber wrote:You may register him as British whilst he is abroad under section 1(3) on form MN1. I'd think it'd be quicker to apply for the child's CoE in India once registered.
Thank you so much AMber.
Once registereas British in UK, I can use this certificate for applying for my sons passport in India. Then what is the need for CoE from India.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 am

I think you've got to be careful regarding dual nationality. I think a CoE in his
Indian Passport would be most sensible.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am

Amber wrote:I think you've got to be careful regarding dual nationality. I think a CoE in his
Indian Passport would be most sensible.

I have read in one of the posts you replied that after applying for British Passport from India (after I get my sons registration certificate in UK) we have to surrender the Indian passport, get the surrender ecrtificate and send it to the British High Commmission. So would there be a need to get CoE inhis passport.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am

If you got the CoE, would that not negate the need to surrender the Indian Passport?

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 am

Amber wrote:If you got the CoE, would that not negate the need to surrender the Indian Passport?
So you mean if I get a CoE in my son's passport then there wont be a need to surrender his Indian passport until he gets his British Passport.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:12 am

With a CoE there may be no need to get a British Passport.

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 am

Amber wrote:With a CoE there may be no need to get a British Passport.

So once he gets his CoE in his Indian Passport he can enter UK and then we can apply for his British passport if required.

But the fact about applying for his Naturalisation Certificate from UK before getting CoE remains same I guess.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 am

Indeed. Rather registration certificate not naturalisation.

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

Amber wrote:Indeed. Rather registration certificate not naturalisation.
Sorry Amber a final question on this post.

The process of getting a registration Certificate is called Naturalisation right. So register him and then apply for his CoE to enter UK.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am

Naturalisation is for adults, registration is for children (minors).

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 am

CoE is relevant to dual nationals (Indian and British). This is only for cases the child is born dual national. India doesn't allow dual nationality so by apply to register as British, the child will lose his Indian nationality as soon as his application is approved.

He should apply for a British passport from India (exit visa etc). Be aware that it can take several months to get the passport when applying from India.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:58 am

Jambo wrote:CoE is relevant to dual nationals (Indian and British). This is only for cases the child is born dual national. India doesn't allow dual nationality so by apply to register as British, the child will lose his Indian nationality as soon as his application is approved.

He should apply for a British passport from India (exit visa etc). Be aware that it can take several months to get the passport when applying from India.

Hi Jambo

so in my case the only option is to apply for my sons British passport in India (once I get him registered as British Citizen in UK). After that I would have to surrender my sons indian passport and get Exit visa.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks Jambo for clarifying that.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Correct.

I'm not familiar with the processes in India. It is worth browsing the Other Countries section on the forum for advice.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

skumar123a

Post by skumar123a » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Guys

I have a question on Registering the Child as a British Citizen.

My Son is born in the UK.
After 3 months we took him to India (applied for Indian passport).
We will get ILR in sep. So, I am about to register my son as British Citizen. Once I get the certificate I will aply for his passport from India.

Question 1:
On the MN1 form I would like to get a referee signature from my friend here and other referee signature from a doctor in India.
Should this be a problem. Who can act as a referee as my son is in India now

Question 2:
After I get my son's registration certificate, when I apply for his British passport from India who can act as Counter Signatory.

Please advise

Thanks