ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name in Naturalisation Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

boiboi
Newly Registered

Change of name in Naturalisation Application

Post by boiboi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm in the process of applying for Naturalisation. My current passport which holds my ILR visa is in my maiden name. I've never changed my maiden name since I married until recently when I changed it for my bank accounts and other utility bills.

In my application for naturalisation, I want to use my married surname. Is there a special process for going about this or should I just use my married name in the application and give the names for which I have been known in the past. I have my marriage certificate to back this. I've always had to send my marriage certificate to back up the fact my hubby and I are married through the work permit application days to date.

Anyone with a similar experience or the knowledge of how to deal with this please.

InUkOnHsmp

Re: Change of name in Naturalisation Application

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:23 pm

You can get a deed poll done, get it signed by a witness and take to your NCS appointment or send in with your application if applying by post.

Be aware though you can only change your surname, not your middle name. So if your name is ABC, you can only make it ABD.

Thats what my NCS person told me, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Yes this can be done quite easily with marriage certificate as proof of name change.

On the form:

In Section 1.5 - Place the new surname you will like on the naturalisation certificate i.e. Marriage name

In section 1.6 - Other names i.e. first name and middle name(s)

In Section 1.7 - Full name with maiden name (before marriage)

Explain on Section 15 (Other Information sheet) you are changing from your maiden name to your married name and see attached marriage certificate as proof.

Lastly if it's a joint application (help others on the forum) then on Section 1.31 the husband will need to put the full name of his wife (new name) and the second part (maiden name - before marriage)

When you get your naturalisation certificate it will have both names. The new name with a section underneath it stating your name at birth (maiden name).

When you apply for your passport it will carry the new name as per naturalisation certificate.

My wife did this recently and all approved with correct names on the certificate. All the best with your application.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

boiboi
Newly Registered

Post by boiboi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:41 pm

I guess I don't need a deed poll then

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Great news for you boiboi, my NCS person was wrong then, she did not mention the Marriage certificate.

We changed her name when applying for her passport, but its not back yet, so I will wait before celebrating :).
Challenges make life worth it!

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:01 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Great news for you boiboi, my NCS person was wrong then, she did not mention the Marriage certificate.

We changed her name when applying for her passport, but its not back yet, so I will wait before celebrating :).

boiboi, No you don't need a deed poll just follow the instructions above.

"InUkOnHsmp" This is a plus point of the forum you get advice free of charge and in most cases it's true, tried and tested. Some NCS staff don't bother to explain that a marriage certificate is a perfectly acceptable document for a woman to change her maiden name to her married surname.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

boiboi
Newly Registered

Post by boiboi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks Guys. That was really helpful. I appreciate it.

the_seeker

Post by the_seeker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi,
I see the marriage certificate works for a woman, I wonder what the case is for a man if he wants to take on a wife's surname. I am married with two kids - all on indian passports and ILR. Considering naturalisation and passports this year.

My father's name is Venkat Kumar. Instead of going with Laxman Kumar, I was naive when I applied for my passport 10 years ago and gave my name as
First name - Laxman
Middle name - none
Surname - Vangipurappu Venkat (place name and father's name). My indian passport has now been renewed with the same names.

The name on my UK driving licence is Laxman Vangipurappu Venkat.
The name on my utility bills and daily correspondence is Laxman Venkat.

Incidentally, my wife's maiden name is Shailaja Kumar, so I am considering changing my surname to Kumar, so that my kids don't have my first name as their surname.

I am told getting this changed on the indian passport first, by putting in affidavits and newspaper ads both in India and UK is the best way. Any changes done during naturalisation may not be accepted by indian authorities (say a bank for e.g.). Is this true?

the_seeker

Post by the_seeker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:28 pm

No leads, folks?