ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

moving to Ireland - work question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jwe321
Newly Registered

moving to Ireland - work question

Post by jwe321 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:20 pm

My wife (who is a natural-born Irish citizen) and I (a US citizen) are considering moving back to Ireland from the US in the next year or so.

I recently learned however, that I am unable to apply for Irish citizenship until we are married for at least 3 years.

Since we were only married 3 months ago, If we were to move back to Ireland, how would I be able to legally work? Is there a provisional status or special visa I might be able to obtain??

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:12 pm

u wont need to get a workpermit, by virtue of being married to Irish / EU citizen
http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... quired.htm

jwe321
Newly Registered

Post by jwe321 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info!
I really appreciate it.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:39 pm

you are welcome. also look at www.justice.ie and also look at marialear's posts. she has provided quite some valuable information on issues in ireland. all the best to u

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:54 am

Hi there. I've also found a good website www.movetoireland.com set up by an guy who moved here years ago. He is married to an Irish national as well I believe. It is really well laid out and deals with all types of issues like tax, getting a bank account, cars, jobs, etc.... everything that you'll have to deal with when to move to another country. It's updated quite regular and they have a link that allows you to recieve a free newsletter about current affairs/issues happening in Ireland during that month and it is organized from a non-Irish national point of view. The basic website is free but if you want more detailed info then you have to subscribe but I find it has loads of advice and links as is.

Good luck. I know I found it difficult when I first moved here to find out all the legal stuff in plain language but this suggested website as well as talking to people online on this discussion board and sharing information really helped! We've all been there, take care. :)

Maria

jwe321
Newly Registered

Post by jwe321 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate how unbelievably helpful you've been.
We'll see what happens...