ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application processing timelines (only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Finishline
Newly Registered

Re: British Passport application processing timelines (only)

Post by Finishline » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 am

Hi everyone, just thought I’d post my passport timeline. Hope it is of some use.
Passport timeline (chronological order)

Passport type: First adult passport
Application method: Check & Send

Date of application: 16/07/14
Date of receipt by IPS: 23/07/14
Date of interview letter: 19/08/14
Date of return of documents: 20/08/14
Date of passport interview: (Friday) 29/08/14 (had to travel 30 miles to interview office)
Date of passport receipt: (Monday) 01/09/14

Glad that is all over! Good luck to everybody still waiting.

Impatient1
Newly Registered

Post by Impatient1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

[quote="Impatient1"]Hello All

Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New
Method of application: Check & Send
Date of application: 15/07/2014
SMS Received: 17/07/2014
Date of return of documents: 27/08/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 23/08/2014 (dated 21 August)
Date of Passport Appointment: 27/08/2014
Date of SMS: None
Date of Passport Receipt:01/09/2014

Some info that might be useful to those who move while their passport is being processed:

I moved house on the 11th August while my application was sent. I phoned the passport office in the first week of August and advised them of the new address. It seemed ok and I thought that was it -until I received a letter around the 19th or 20th August (dated 15th August) requesting proof of this - I sent back proof by special delivery on the 20th - so lost about a week although still not bad considering my passport was printed on the 29th August. Guys, my advice is, if you do move house send them the proof (either bank statement/ utility bill/ mortgage etc) as soon as possible to save on the delay (quote the reference number). Hope this helps.

Good luck to everyone waiting.

Impatient1
Newly Registered

Post by Impatient1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Impatient1 wrote:
Impatient1 wrote:Hello All

Date of application: 15/07/2014
SMS Received: 17/07/2014
Date of return of documents: 27/08/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 23/08/2014 (dated 21 August)
Date of SMS: 2/9 (the date after I received my passport to say that my passport was being printed and should arrive in the next few days lol! )

Some info that might be useful to those who move while their passport is being processed:

I moved house on the 11th August while my application was sent. I phoned the passport office in the first week of August and advised them of the new address. It seemed ok and I thought that was it -until I received a letter around the 19th or 20th August (dated 15th August) requesting proof of this - I sent back proof by special delivery on the 20th - so lost about a week although still not bad considering my passport was printed on the 29th August. Guys, my advice is, if you do move house send them the proof (either bank statement/ utility bill/ mortgage etc) as soon as possible to save on the delay (quote the reference number). Hope this helps.

Good luck to everyone waiting.

whiskyzian
Newly Registered

Post by whiskyzian » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:17 pm

whiskyzian wrote:Application Type: New
Method of application: Check & Send Hackney,London
Date of application: 11/08/2014
Date application received by IPS: 12/08/2014
SMS Received: 13/08/2014
Date of return of documents: 02/09/14
Date of receipt of interview letter: 20/08/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 30/08/2014
Passport print SMS: 01/09/14
Date of Passport Receipt: 02/09/14
update,22 days

ali_asad_pk

Post by ali_asad_pk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:41 am

ali_asad_pk wrote:
ali_asad_pk wrote:
ali_asad_pk wrote:Passport for: Adult
Date of application: 30/07/2014
Date application received by IPS: 04/08/2014 (SMS Received)
Date of return of documents: 01/09/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 26/08/2014 (dated 22/08/2014)
Date of Passport Appointment: 28/08/2014 @ 0915 (Luton; London has earliest available 03/09 and Chelmsford 01/09) Called on 27/08/2014 exact 0802 but lines were busy then left message for call back, again tried 0821 and was through straight away
Date of SMS printing passport: 01/09/2014 @ 0915
UPDATE:
26/08/2014 - I sent them email (from online form) to enquire status about application around mid day and got reply in evening around 1900 that application was received on 01/08/2014 and is currently going through examination process and rest was standard reply, funny enough I got letter first, when I return home and read email reply later and was thinking that there is really a serious problem about latest information which may not be available to customer service team although their reply was correct that my application is still under process/examination but I would have expected something like waiting for interview or interview call letter sent

NOTE:
On a separate note, one of my known person received interview letter which was issues to him on 23/08/2014, it seems that extra working hours i.e. weekend
UPDATE:
Supporting documents and new passport are delivered together (in separate envelops) by same person/courier.
Passport issue date is same as my interview date

Thank you very much to all wonderful users and helpful people who share their knowledge. This forum has been a great guidance. Congratulations to moderators for this service.

Good Luck to everyone

divisionbell

Post by divisionbell » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 am

Application Type: New, for child
Date of application: 25th June 2014
Date of return of documents:waiting
Date of receipt of passport:02 Sep 2014

MHA
Newly Registered

Post by MHA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 am

Dear Mr Asad!
1st of all congratulation secondly i wanna ask that do passport office deliver passport by Royal Mail or any other Courier Services?????

Thanx!

mash2u
Newly Registered

Post by mash2u » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Passport for: 2 Adults
Application Type: New (Naturalised Citizens)
Method of application: Check & Send PO
Date of application: 04/09/2014
Date application received by IPS: Awaiting
Date of return of documents: Awaiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Awaiting
Date of Passport Appointment: Awaiting
Date of Passport printing SMS: Awaiting
Date of Passport Receipt: Awaiting

ithinker
Newly Registered

Post by ithinker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Method of application: Online and Post
Date of application: 24.07.2014
Date application received by IPS: 25.07.2014
SMS received:
Date of return of documents: still waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: 20.08.2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 26.08.14
Date of SMS printing passport: 03.09.14
Date of Passport Receipt: 04.09.14

I have received my UK Passport. But waiting for supporting documents including previous passport. I can see most of the applicants receive the documents around the time of getting the interview letter itself. I opted for secured delivery. Is it normal? should I wait for a couple of days more? Are there others in a similar situation?

ithinker
Newly Registered

Post by ithinker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:24 pm

[quote="divisionbell"]Application Type: New, for child
Date of application: 25th June 2014
Date of return of documents:waiting
Date of receipt of passport:02 Sep 2014[/quote]

Hi, Did you opt for secure delivery of documents? I see many received them around same time as interview letter. Do you know of any reason why supporting documents arrive late or how late? Thanks.

passporthell
Newly Registered

Post by passporthell » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 pm

All:

Application Timeline
Application Type: New (Naturalised Citizen)
Date of application: 21/07/2014
Date application received by IPS: 24/07/2014 (Belfast)
SMS confirming receipt by IPS: 25/07/2014
Date of return of documents: 21/08/2014 (attempted delivery by DX on 20/08/2014)
Date of receipt of interview letter: Never (sent on 15/08/2014, see below)
Date of Passport printing sms receipt: 04/09/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 04/09/2014

There were a few hiccups in the process. Despite the hiccups, I got my passport exactly 6 weeks from receipt of my application by IPS (6weeks and 4 days from the day I sent it). A few notes and tips:

1. The "6 week" target that IPs sets for itself and against which it measures its performance appears to be from the date of actual receipt. Please bear this in mind when you apply: the 6 week period will not usually start until at least a couple of days after your check & send application.

2. There appears to be no real geographical logic to where your application ends up: I applied from London and my application was considered by the Belfast office.

3. The standard IPS helpline number is not very helpful. They do not have accurate information and calling them can be a waste of time. Even when they try to be helpful, the just don't know anything. If you need to contact IPS, contact the office that is dealing with your application. In my case, I waited 4 weeks after my application and, because I needed to travel urgently, I called the Belfast office who were extremely helpful and sent my original documents back by DX (for which I had paid) once they had reviewed my paper application and sent out my interview letter.

4. I never got an interview letter for some reason (probably lost in mail). Once I had had my original documents for a few days, I called them again and they gave me the necessary information to book an interview. (When you call them, you get an automatic message saying you should only call if you have received an invitation letter but, if you hold long enough, they will speak to you and if you have a genuine issue and are not just wasting time or panicking unnecessarily, they will help you out.)

5. For some reason, when I went for my interview, the centre did not have my details on its electronic system (apparently a glitch on their system). They ended up conducting a contingency interview on paper and sending my details by DX to Belfast. This delayed matters somewhat.

6. Once I pointed out the delay and the fact that I needed to travel to a country for which I preferred to use my British passport, I got a call back from their customer services personnel who were very helpful and arranged to process my passport on a fast-track basis. I got my passport less than a day after they got involved.

I hope this helps. Good luck all.

MHA
Newly Registered

Post by MHA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 am

Hello dear forum members!
Please reply the following question ASAP!

Does the passport office deliver British Passport by Royal Mail or any other courier service???

Thanx!

ali_asad_pk

Post by ali_asad_pk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 am

Dear MHA

British passport is always delivered through courier i.e. DX Secure

In my case, as I paid for supporting documents to be returned via secure delivery so both, my supporting documents and British passport, were delivered by DX SEcure, same person, same time.

Good Luck

pinkpanter

Post by pinkpanter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 am

passporthell wrote:All:

Application Timeline
Date of return of documents: 21/08/2014 (attempted delivery by DX on 20/08/2014)

Hello, Please can you advise as I also applied on 21st July and my and my child applications sent to Peterborough office. How did you get Belfast direcect Number as I am struggling to get Peterborough office contact Number? Can you help me to find Peterborough Office Number please. Please note that its now more than 6 weeks and I haven't hear anything yet despite the numerous calls and emails but, every time the same standard reply that our application is in examining process.

There were a few hiccups in the process. Despite the hiccups, I got my passport exactly 6 weeks from receipt of my application by IPS (6weeks and 4 days from the day I sent it). A few notes and tips:

1. The "6 week" target that IPs sets for itself and against which it measures its performance appears to be from the date of actual receipt. Please bear this in mind when you apply: the 6 week period will not usually start until at least a couple of days after your check & send application.

2. There appears to be no real geographical logic to where your application ends up: I applied from London and my application was considered by the Belfast office.

3. The standard IPS helpline number is not very helpful. They do not have accurate information and calling them can be a waste of time. Even when they try to be helpful, the just don't know anything. If you need to contact IPS, contact the office that is dealing with your application. In my case, I waited 4 weeks after my application and, because I needed to travel urgently, I called the Belfast office who were extremely helpful and sent my original documents back by DX (for which I had paid) once they had reviewed my paper application and sent out my interview letter.

4. I never got an interview letter for some reason (probably lost in mail). Once I had had my original documents for a few days, I called them again and they gave me the necessary information to book an interview. (When you call them, you get an automatic message saying you should only call if you have received an invitation letter but, if you hold long enough, they will speak to you and if you have a genuine issue and are not just wasting time or panicking unnecessarily, they will help you out.)

5. For some reason, when I went for my interview, the centre did not have my details on its electronic system (apparently a glitch on their system). They ended up conducting a contingency interview on paper and sending my details by DX to Belfast. This delayed matters somewhat.

6. Once I pointed out the delay and the fact that I needed to travel to a country for which I preferred to use my British passport, I got a call back from their customer services personnel who were very helpful and arranged to process my passport on a fast-track basis. I got my passport less than a day after they got involved.

pinkpanter

Post by pinkpanter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 am

passporthell wrote:All:

Application Timeline

Hello, Please can you advise as I also applied on 21st July and my and my child applications sent to Peterborough office. How did you get Belfast direcect Number as I am struggling to get Peterborough office contact Number? Can you help me to find Peterborough Office Number please. Please note that its now more than 6 weeks and I haven't hear anything yet despite the numerous calls and emails but, every time the same standard reply that our application is in examining process.

MHA
Newly Registered

Post by MHA » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:40 am

Dear Ali Asad!

First thanx 4 prompt reply secondly i wanna ask that when passport office send message ,passport is printing after interview do they send any tracking number of DX Courier as well???

Thanx!

ali_asad_pk

Post by ali_asad_pk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 am

dear MHA

no tracking number etc, just that passport is being printed

Regards

MHA
Newly Registered

Post by MHA » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 am

man4uni wrote:At last the journey is over! Alhumdulillah :)

Update in RED
man4uni wrote:Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New (1st British Passport)
Date of application: 6th Aug 2014
Date application received by IPS (sms): 11th Aug 2014
Date of return of documents: 28th Aug 2014
Date of receipt of interview letter: 26th Aug 2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 27th Aug 2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 1st Sep 2014
Dear man4uni!

First of all congratulation 4 getting British Passport, secondly i wanna ask that is there any hard & fast rule for delivering Supporting Documents,some times they deliver b4 interview letter,some times with British Passport,sometimes after British Passport??????

But if u call them they always mention that they will deliver after 2 weeks of BP delivery :?

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:28 am

MHA wrote: Dear man4uni!

First of all congratulation 4 getting British Passport, secondly i wanna ask that is there any hard & fast rule for delivering Supporting Documents,some times they deliver b4 interview letter,some times with British Passport,sometimes after British Passport??????

But if u call them they always mention that they will deliver after 2 weeks of BP delivery :?
Thank you for the wishes :)

This is a very tricky question indeed. Looks like HMPO doesn't have a proper process for this one. The reason I say this is this application was for my wife, who received her documents (submitted) before the actual British passport. However, in my case which was few months ago, I received the British passport first then the submitted documents (after few days).

I know this isn't of any help :(, but just sharing our experience :)

Jav13
Newly Registered

Post by Jav13 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Jav13 wrote:
Jav13 wrote: Passport for: Adult
Date of application: 17.07.2014
Date application received by IPS: 22.07.2014
SMS received: 23.07.14
Date of return of documents: 04.09.14
Date of receipt of interview letter: 21.08.2014 :D
Date of Passport Appointment: 27.08.14
Date of SMS printing passport: 28.08.14 10am
Date of Passport Receipt: 03.09.14

Text msg received 4m DX on 30.08 that they attempted delivery of passport on 29.08 and left a card. However I could NOT trace any card. I called DX to arrange a collection but they refused. I then requested re-delivery but the earliest date they gave me was 03.09. It seems almost a week. Not very happy.

Jav13
Newly Registered

Post by Jav13 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Jav13 wrote:
Jav13 wrote:Update:
Date of application: 17.07.2014
Date application received by IPS: 22.07.2014
SMS received: 23.07.14
Date of return of documents: still waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: 21.08.2014 :D
Date of Passport Appointment: 27.08.14
Date of SMS printing passport: 28.08.14 10am
Date of Passport Receipt: waiting

Text msg received 4m DX on 30.08 that they attempted delivery of passport on 29.08 and left a card. However I could NOT trace any card. I called DX to arrange a collection but they refused. I then requested re-delivery but the earliest date they gave me was 03.09. It seems almost a week. Not very happy.

gaboon_viper

Post by gaboon_viper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi great forum, Update. Got passport today. Without ur help not possible. Thanks i love u :P

Date of application:08.08.14
Date application received by IPS: 12.08.14
Date of return of documents: 26.08.14
Date of receipt of interview letter: 29.08.14
Date of Passport Appointment: 05.09.14 Friday
Date of Sms from Office. 08.09.15 Monday
Date of Passport received : 09.09.14
Always here to help to best of my understanding

MHA
Newly Registered

Post by MHA » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm

gaboon_viper wrote:Hi great forum, Update. Got passport today. Without ur help not possible. Thanks i love u :P

Date of application:08.08.14
Date application received by IPS: 12.08.14
Date of return of documents: 26.08.14
Date of receipt of interview letter: 29.08.14
Date of Passport Appointment: 05.09.14 Friday
Date of Sms from Office. 08.09.15 Monday
Date of Passport received : 09.09.14
Congratulation gaboon_viper :D

i wanna ask u did u receive ur supporting documents by DX Secure or Royal Mail and secondly when they deliver ur passport and supporting documents did delivery man check ur ID etc?????

Thanx!

gaboon_viper

Post by gaboon_viper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks MHA, via DX, strangley, not ask for any id. Hope it helps
Always here to help to best of my understanding

MHA
Newly Registered

Post by MHA » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:20 pm

gaboon_viper wrote:Thanks MHA, via DX, strangley, not ask for any id. Hope it helps
supporting documents as well???