ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

seeking a job in UK. how should i go about?s/w engg with 7ex

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vinay23
Newly Registered

seeking a job in UK. how should i go about?s/w engg with 7ex

Post by vinay23 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I' ve been seeking a job in uk. Please advice me how should i go about.

I am a software engg with 7+ yrs exp. My.skills include ms dynamics gp, vb.net, c#, agile, scrum in Banking and financial sector. I wanted to know how to apply as i believe recuiters will not even look at tue cv if i do not.hv a sponcer ready. If so how to search for a.sponcer?? Also does applying through sites help incase i dont hv a sponcer rite now??

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: seeking a job in UK. how should i go about?s/w engg with

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:55 pm

vinay23 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I' ve been seeking a job in uk. Please advice me how should i go about.

I am a software engg with 7+ yrs exp. My.skills include ms dynamics gp, vb.net, c#, agile, scrum in Banking and financial sector. I wanted to know how to apply as i believe recuiters will not even look at tue cv if i do not.hv a sponcer ready. If so how to search for a.sponcer?? Also does applying through sites help incase i dont hv a sponcer rite now??

Thanks
If your CV looks like the above no wonder no-one is contacting you, you come across as a total moron....

Cut out the txtspk, speak and write like a professional, and things will look up.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinay23
Newly Registered

Post by vinay23 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Obvisouly my cv dose not look like this... I thot this fourm u can ask ur doubt n ppl will help.unlike u who wud only comment without ny information.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 pm

vinay23 wrote:Obvisouly my cv dose not look like this... I thot this fourm u can ask ur doubt n ppl will help.unlike u who wud only comment without ny information.
You can ask..........

Unless you have a disability like dyslexia there really isn't an excuse for asking for job tips when you are prepared to spend so little effort posting your question.

Welcome to the UK job market, where weak CVs get deleted after two lines being read, or not even that if you use a silly font.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 pm

vinay23 wrote:Obvisouly my cv dose not look like this... I thot this fourm u can ask ur doubt n ppl will help.unlike u who wud only comment without ny information.
It's called Constructive Criticism my friend, take it on board, it's free and you need it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Wanderer wrote:It's called Constructive Criticism my friend, take it on board, it's free and you need it.
And also, not everyone speaks text!! I see you are still in top form Wanderer and you certainly keep me giggling :D
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Vinay,

Don't get disheartened by what you hear here. Sometimes, people are not going to be nice (although, it would be nice, if they were) when they provide criticism. Would have been more constructive, if they had tried to answer your 'actual question' apart from just saying your written English needs improvement.

You have good experience and are probably good at what you do, just being a tad bit careful when you write, goes a long way, and makes people take you seriously. (yes, even in forums such as here).

To answer your questions, about finding a Tier 2 sponsor, here's a list of companies licensed to sponsor, published by the UKVI,
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -06-24.pdf

It is definitely worth a try, to go through this list and apply on sites of companies, that have a job opening that match your skill.

The general guideline for these companies is they should have advertised for the opening locally and have not found any local talent with the required skill-set for a said time period (around 40 days I think, not sure) before they are allowed to interview talent internationally or international students studying in UK universities / people on other visas available locally willing to switch etc.

Spend a little time here reading and understanding about the Tier 2 General visa,
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general

Also worth spending some time here to get an idea of other people's experience,
http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... red-visas/

This should give you some background, and a general feel of what the Tier 2 General visa category is all about, it's limitations, and will help you to take a more informed approach to your job search.

Good luck,
O'Relly.
Cheers,
OR

varghesejim
India

Post by varghesejim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:48 pm

vinay23 wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks
Seems like you need to still learn one or two things, but that is fine. If you have an open mind and willingness to listen I am sure you will get there.

Speaking of working in UK, the main hurdle you have is the right to work here. Finding a sponsor is near impossible from a foreign country. Your best bet is to find an employer in your home country who can send you to UK on a work permit. This is not necessarily a wise move as they can pull you back at any moment or you have to wait for 5 years to get ILR so that you can change your employer. Note that, UK might withdraw ILR also.

You see, getting a job is not the issue assuming you have pretty good skills(and you get over the text speak and other negative traits-which you can). The issue is the right to work.

The best bet for you is USA IMO.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:12 pm

While I agree finding a sponsor is a big hurdle, I will not rule it out completely, I am aware of 1 person who has done this successfully. He had the right skills and about 10 years of experience, and found a contract within 2 months of arriving in the UK. Most importantly, his brother was already in the UK, and was in touch with this agency, so it was easier.

May I ask why do you think USA is a better option? The H1B is incredibly more complicated, and there is not even a known timeline for an ILR (Green card), and you have to wait 5 years from getting your green card to be eligible to apply for citizenship.
Cheers,
OR

varghesejim
India

Post by varghesejim » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:55 pm

O_Relly wrote:While I agree finding a sponsor is a big hurdle, I will not rule it out completely, I am aware of 1 person who has done this successfully. He had the right skills and about 10 years of experience, and found a contract within 2 months of arriving in the UK. Most importantly, his brother was already in the UK, and was in touch with this agency, so it was easier.

May I ask why do you think USA is a better option? The H1B is incredibly more complicated, and there is not even a known timeline for an ILR (Green card), and you have to wait 5 years from getting your green card to be eligible to apply for citizenship.
The right skills, family support and a bit of luck helped the above said person. This is an exceptional case, I know many IT guys took around 3-6 months to secure a job, even though they have the right to work here (tier1). No disrespect intended, but the OP is not coming across as the brightest bulb at the moment, so it could be risky for him to try your friends way IMO.

H1B, complicated as it may be, opens a much bigger market so his chances to find a job is much more. The earning potential is more (if you are in the right cities). Citizenship/ILR may be difficult, but the advantages might outweigh that according to one's perspective.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:45 pm

No disrespect intended, but the OP is not coming across as the brightest bulb at the moment
Clearly we are not here to make and pass off judgement on people who are genuinely seeking information to better their careers / life. As a forum, this is a place where people with knowledge in the area / people with their own personal experience make fact based recommendations, and point people in the right direction.
Cheers,
OR

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Let's stick to the topic and remember to respect on another.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.