ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unsuccessful applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hawin00
Newly Registered

Re: Unsuccessful applications

Post by hawin00 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks I paid a lawyer to do my appeal and had a judge friend write my formal complaint For me then my MP has forwarded to ukba the certificate showing it was passed prior to application.. It definantly is about money however at present hubby is losing find time with his newborn something no ammount of money can get back!!
Hope no one else ever has to go through this but it seems common practise to misread- not follow there own guidance notes Or immigration rules and not use common sense either

hawin00
Newly Registered

Post by hawin00 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 am

Our visa was overturned yesterday 14 days after it was refused and 13 days after I complained!!!! Over the moon!

Beanietude
Newly Registered

Post by Beanietude » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:57 pm

I originally applied for citizenship in October 2013, before the latest changes took hold. I am married to a British citizen and was granted ILR in 2005... or so I thought. Apparently, the person who put my ILR visa in my passport failed to mark it as such, leaving only the expiration date at the top as the same date my passport expires. After many months and depletion of nearly £1000, I received a letter from UKBA saying "sorry, no" simply on the basis of this expiration date. Emails were exchanged (some rather snarky from me), but nobody at UKBA could tell me what visa I *did* have if not IRL? That's what I had applied for, and certainly what I had paid for, so was I wrong to trust the agents in 2005 knew what they were doing when they stamped my passport all those years ago? Apparently.

Letters were exchanged between our MP and the Home Office, more months passed and, whaddya know? There's been an error! My IRL visa should've stated its purpose more clearly. Armed with these letters and a new, appropriately endorsed visa, I was free to have my citizenship application reconsidered. Finally.

I sent in my forms, tests, passport and £80 on March 17th for reconsideration. It was signed for on their end on the 18th. I've thus far had no correspondence from UKBA, not even to say "we got your stuff, thanks!" The money has not yet been taken.

Any ideas on how long I should leave them to it before I start panicking that they've lost my passport? I have half a mind to request it back as I may need it soon for a work-related DBS check, but I don't want to jeopardise my application.

I can't say I'm impressed by this whole experience. :|

rc0906
Newly Registered

Post by rc0906 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here has been refused citizenship on the basis of a caution even though the application was made AFTER 3 years of the caution?

I realise that applying WITHIN 3 years of the caution is a probable rejection, but I haven't seen anyone mention that they got accepted AFTER the 3 years, so it would be nice to know.

Also it may be helpful to note what type of offence the caution was for (e.g. dishonesty, violence, unlawful sexual activity, drugs, recklessness).

Anyone please?

rc0906
Newly Registered

Post by rc0906 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:09 am

Anyone please?

bale541
Newly Registered

Post by bale541 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi Guys
Unfortunately my application has been refused due to court conviction.
In January 2014 I was pulled over by police due to two road offences ( speeding and jump through red light).
Police reported me to prosecutor fiscal. In court police dropped one charges and I was guilty for speeding( SP 30 and £100 fine) . There were no hearing I only went to the court and guilty myself for speeding.
Any idea guys can I submit for review or have to wait three more year for new application.

ak_akhan
Newly Registered

Post by ak_akhan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I applied through NCS for naturalisation in July, received a letter to send original life in the UK test and my city and guilds esol pass certificate entry level 3, which I send, received another letter today to send full esol certificate.

The one I have got says certificate of unit credits towards certificate. My friends wife got her naturalisation through the same certificate passed from the same center in Liverpool. So I don't understand why they are questioning mine.
I will call city and guilds on Monday to see what they say.

I would appreciate some advice from you guys as in past I have always got my answers through this forum.
Thanks

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Sorry if I'mposting to ask a question and not to provide an answer.

My application was turned dow because of a congestion charge that I appealed.

1. On 15th July I entered the congestion charge to visit a clinic in central london. This was to sort out the final preparations (sign paperwork, consent forms, etc) related to an important (invasive) surgery I was due to have early the next day. This surgery was vital for me. It required overnight hospitalisation

After my visit to the clinic, I drove back home, packed my suitcase and went to bed very early as I had be up at 5:30 for I to be at hospital at 7am in the next morning. In the process it slipped my mind that I had to pay for congestion charge. I was very anxious and nervous; I had a lot on my mind as - just like all other surgeries- I had to go through this one on my own, for I don't have anyone in this country to take care of me post surgery.

While waiting for surgery early morning in my operating gown, I remembered I had to make a payment. I run to my locker and tried make a payment on my mobile phone but my phone internet connection was not very good in the hospital building. I tried to make a payment but had a few error messages coming up on the screen. I could not call congestion charge to make a payment over the phone as it was quite early in the morning and they were still not open. I went through surgery that day. It lasted about 8 hours, during which I was under general anaestehia. I woke up feeling very drowsy and sick, unable to move. The following day, I got discharged late afternoon and -despite the dizziness and drownsiness caused by the powerful general anesthesia- I called Congestion charge as soon as I got back home. I was told the 48 hours allowed to make a payment for the CT had lapsed and that I had to wait for the penalty charge to arrive in the post to be able to ask for a reconsideration. I tried to explain that due to my surgery circumstances, I was not in a position to make a payment for most of the 48 hours allowed to make a payment and that I should be given an extension of 24 hours for my extenuating circumstances. But the operator advised there was nothing that could be done,; that I had to wait until I received the penalty in the post before I could ask for it to be reconsidered.

On the same day I received the penalty, I wrote the Congestion Charge explaining my circumstances (see attached evidence on 24th July 2013), but they dismissed it. I ten was given the OPTION to appeal it to the Traffic Appelate Authority.

Since I genuinely felt I had a fair case, I referred the matter to the Traffic Appelate Authority by completing the necessary forms and posting them. I did this on the same day I received the response (within the time frame allowed). However the my appeal was turned down and I had to pay. However, in the decision letter, the adjudicator stated he did not rule on any malice intent (This was stated in the decision letter); that he could only dismiss the penalty if:

(a) The appelant was not the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time of the contravention.
(b) The relevant charge was paid at the time and in the manner required
(c)No penalty is payable under the congestion charging scheme.
(d) The vehicle was used without the consent of the registered keeper.
(e) The penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable in the circumstances of the case
(d) The appelant if a vehicle-hire firm

Not only I accepted th the adjudicator's decision and I made a payment to Congestion Charge straight away, but I also set up Auto-Pay with them so that in the future my payment would be made automatically should I have to go through similar extenuating circumstances in the future. I was also allowed to pay the reduced amount of £65 (instead of £130) as I paid within the next 15 days allowed.

From the above, it is clear that there was no malicious intent establised in the adjudicator's letter regarding the way I handled the CT charge. No malicious intent on my behalf not to pay the CT or avoid the penalty notice. I just followed the process in place to have a chance of my case being heard and adjudicated. Once it was, I accepted the findings and took steps to prevent the sitaution from occuring in the future.

I am self-employed, and this is the only penalty charge I've had during the last 12 years I've been in the UK
Serina

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your refusal.
Did HO explain why it is being turned down? did you declare it on application form?

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 pm

akhurshid wrote:Sorry to hear about your refusal.
Did HO explain why it is being turned down? did you declare it on application form?
Yes I did. They said it affects my "good character requirements" lol
Serina

royh

Post by royh » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:35 am

Serina26 wrote:Yes I did. They said it affects my "good character requirements" lol
They took your £1k and banned you for 10 years for a congestion charge (that you declared too)? There are no words. It's actually frightening to the ppl applying since they might nitpick whatever they can get their hands on as a reason not just good character requirements either. Maybe some bad press over this might do something, your banned for 10 years so you have nothing to lose (imo).

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 am

I don't believe you will be banned for ten years if you've declared it. It's just unfortunate that some unspecified time will have to elapse before you really can apply again. I have to wonder if the case was a former employee of that council or something. A congestion charge is controversial in the first place. What reflection that would be of one's character, I can't imagine.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 pm

You'll need to wait for (minimum) 3 years from the Traffic Appelate Authority decision date before you choose to reapply.

also see Q5 - FPN

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Well, it's actually they said two years since the the penalty occured in 2013.

I have gone through all the good character requirements on the HO website. My traffic "offence" does not fall under any of the four main reasons for refusal of an application based on good character requirements. It is not even a non-custodial sentence as the latter needs to be handed in by a judge in criminal proceedings. However, a an unseccessful challenge of pcn can be considered as a conviction, which needs to be taken into account. But according to the HO guidelines, should ONLY be considered grounds for refusal if you have multiple offences. In my case, this is the only traffic offence that I appealed that led to a "conviction". Again it happened under extenuating circumstances. In fact, I never had any offences whatsoever.

I am going to see my MP next week regarding this matter

Serina
Serina

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:44 pm

It is indeed odd to refuse so meone on those basis. I would seek legal assistance before seeing an MP.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

3 years from the Traffic Appelate Authority decision date so effectively 2 years from now.

If it's FPN or PCN - which are not conviction - then usually multiple offerences lead to refusal.
In this case it was considered as conviction not an offence.

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:56 pm

ban.s wrote:3 years from the Traffic Appelate Authority decision date so effectively 2 years from now.

If it's FPN or PCN - which are not conviction - then usually multiple offerences lead to refusal.
In this case it was considered as conviction not an offence.

Where does it say "3 years from the Traffic Appelate Authority"? It says court, not "Traffic Appelate Authority".
Serina

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm

For your info it's called "Parking and Traffic Appeals Service" lol.

Besides, this is a not a non-custodial sentence as a non-custodial sentence needs to be issued at the end of a case involving criminal proceedings. It also needs to be handed in by a judge of law, not an adjudicator in a civil tribunal.

A conviction Conviction
The outcome of a criminal prosecution which concludes in a judgment that the defendant is guilty of the crime charged.

Just consulted a solicitor. None of this applies to my case.
Serina

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Agree. I misinterpreted Traffic Appelate Authority with Immigration Appellate Authority ...infact there is no entity as Traffic Appelate Authority ...for London parking and traffic it's PATAS.
so can you post the exact reason for refusal?
perhaps you can apply to reconsider the decision?

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:06 pm

ban.s wrote:Agree. I misinterpreted Traffic Appelate Authority with Immigration Appellate Authority ...infact there is no entity as Traffic Appelate Authority ...for London parking and traffic it's PATAS.
so can you post the exact reason for refusal?
perhaps you can apply to reconsider the decision?

It said "applicant has a conviction", which is an error on their behalf:

I have no conviction as a conviction is a sentence handed in by a judge in a court of law at the end of criminal proceedings.

Further, on the HO website, it says :

3.2 Fixed Penalty Notices, Penalty Charge Notices & Penalty Notices

Where a fixed penalty notice or fiscal fine has been referred to a court due to non-payment or
the notice has been unsuccessfully challenged by the person in court, the decision maker will
consider this as a conviction and assessed in line with the new sentence imposed.

Mine was a PCN, not an FPN. The difference between the two is that the Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) is that a FPN can lead to criminal prosecution if not paid.
Serina

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:43 am

ban.s wrote:You'll need to wait for (minimum) 3 years from the Traffic Appelate Authority decision date before you choose to reapply.

also see Q5 - FPN
Mine is PCN, NOT a FPN lol
Serina

jabajaw
Newly Registered

Post by jabajaw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:10 pm

did you declare the FPN in your application?

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:24 pm

jabajaw wrote:did you declare the FPN in your application?
I did

Mine was a PCN, not an FPN. The difference between the two is that the Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) is that a FPN can lead to criminal prosecution if not paid.
Serina

JAYSON65
Nigeria

Post by JAYSON65 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Serina26 wrote:Sorry if I'mposting to ask a question and not to provide an answer.

My application was turned dow because of a congestion charge that I appealed.

1. On 15th July I entered the congestion charge to visit a clinic in central london. This was to sort out the final preparations (sign paperwork, consent forms, etc) related to an important (invasive) surgery I was due to have early the next day. This surgery was vital for me. It required overnight hospitalisation

After my visit to the clinic, I drove back home, packed my suitcase and went to bed very early as I had be up at 5:30 for I to be at hospital at 7am in the next morning. In the process it slipped my mind that I had to pay for congestion charge. I was very anxious and nervous; I had a lot on my mind as - just like all other surgeries- I had to go through this one on my own, for I don't have anyone in this country to take care of me post surgery.

While waiting for surgery early morning in my operating gown, I remembered I had to make a payment. I run to my locker and tried make a payment on my mobile phone but my phone internet connection was not very good in the hospital building. I tried to make a payment but had a few error messages coming up on the screen. I could not call congestion charge to make a payment over the phone as it was quite early in the morning and they were still not open. I went through surgery that day. It lasted about 8 hours, during which I was under general anaestehia. I woke up feeling very drowsy and sick, unable to move. The following day, I got discharged late afternoon and -despite the dizziness and drownsiness caused by the powerful general anesthesia- I called Congestion charge as soon as I got back home. I was told the 48 hours allowed to make a payment for the CT had lapsed and that I had to wait for the penalty charge to arrive in the post to be able to ask for a reconsideration. I tried to explain that due to my surgery circumstances, I was not in a position to make a payment for most of the 48 hours allowed to make a payment and that I should be given an extension of 24 hours for my extenuating circumstances. But the operator advised there was nothing that could be done,; that I had to wait until I received the penalty in the post before I could ask for it to be reconsidered.

On the same day I received the penalty, I wrote the Congestion Charge explaining my circumstances (see attached evidence on 24th July 2013), but they dismissed it. I ten was given the OPTION to appeal it to the Traffic Appelate Authority.

Since I genuinely felt I had a fair case, I referred the matter to the Traffic Appelate Authority by completing the necessary forms and posting them. I did this on the same day I received the response (within the time frame allowed). However the my appeal was turned down and I had to pay. However, in the decision letter, the adjudicator stated he did not rule on any malice intent (This was stated in the decision letter); that he could only dismiss the penalty if:

(a) The appelant was not the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time of the contravention.
(b) The relevant charge was paid at the time and in the manner required
(c)No penalty is payable under the congestion charging scheme.
(d) The vehicle was used without the consent of the registered keeper.
(e) The penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable in the circumstances of the case
(d) The appelant if a vehicle-hire firm

Not only I accepted th the adjudicator's decision and I made a payment to Congestion Charge straight away, but I also set up Auto-Pay with them so that in the future my payment would be made automatically should I have to go through similar extenuating circumstances in the future. I was also allowed to pay the reduced amount of £65 (instead of £130) as I paid within the next 15 days allowed.

From the above, it is clear that there was no malicious intent establised in the adjudicator's letter regarding the way I handled the CT charge. No malicious intent on my behalf not to pay the CT or avoid the penalty notice. I just followed the process in place to have a chance of my case being heard and adjudicated. Once it was, I accepted the findings and took steps to prevent the sitaution from occuring in the future.

I am self-employed, and this is the only penalty charge I've had during the last 12 years I've been in the UK

Sorry to read about your refusal Serina.
I hope all goes well when you appeal this properly.
Really enjoyed chats with you before I submitted my application .
You take care.

Serina26

Post by Serina26 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanx Jason,

I managed to get a statement from the adjudicator who issued me with a pcn stating that it was not a cnviction of any kind so hopefully reconsideration shoud be successful

Serina
Serina