ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When are you British?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

When are you British?

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 am

I think I know the answer, saw it here somewhere but can't find it now.

After a visa journey of around 9 years, my partner had her Naturalisation approved last week, Ceremony still pending, we were box wondering when she actually becomes British? Is it on approval or at the Ceremony itself?

I thought it was at the ceremony but reading the approval letter it does say naturalisation is approved so logically it must be from the date of that letter?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When are you British?

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 am

You are only British once you have attended the ceremony, pledged or said oat etc and received your certificate, which will be dated for that day.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:16 am

Congratulations!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am

Now I'm not so sure, a lot of the Council web pages for the Citizenship Ceremony say this...
All new citizens must attend a citizenship ceremony after being granted citizenship and within 90 days of being invited to attend a ceremony. This is the final stage of becoming a British Citizen.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:47 am

Confusing, as with most UKVI information. You don't acquire British Citizenship until you have attended the Citizenship ceremony, take the oath and receive your certificate.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:50 am

The council is wrong. It should read:
...after being granted permission to become a citizen...
OR ...after being invited to become a citizen...

I thought the actual point you become British is the moment you finish saying the oath or affirmation. I don't think you have to attend a ceremony as such but only certain people are allowed to administer the oath so the ceremony itself is more of a convenience than anything. From what I understand the certificate is just proof that you did indeed attend a ceremony and say the oath but is not required for you to become British.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:54 am

If you fail to attend a ceremony (within the allotted time) you will not be granted BC. The crucial wording is ' This is the final stage of becoming a British Citizen.'
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 pm

See the guidance on page 54.

It seems you have to attend a ceremony (exactly what that is doesn't seem to be defined). You have to take the oath/affirmation and pledge of allegiance, the registrar must date the certificate and must, within 14 days, notify the HO you attended.

EDIT:
It's on page 66, 6.13.5:

Section 42B(1) of the 1981 Act, as amended, explains that a person 67 registered as a British citizen becomes such a citizen:
a. immediately on making the required oath and pledge; or
b. where the oath/pledge requirement is waived, the date on which he or she is registered

Section 42B(2) of the 1981 Act, as amended, explains that a person to whom a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen is granted becomes such a citizen:
a. immediately on making the required oath and pledge; or
b. where the oath/pledge requirement is waived, the date on which the certificate is granted

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm

I wonder what the rule was before the Ceremonies were introduced in what, 2004?

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Wanderer wrote:I wonder what the rule was before the Ceremonies were introduced in what, 2004?
See the same guidance, previous section. It was similar but if you were a citizen of a country that had the queen as head of state you didn't have to take the oath.