ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Error on Naturalisation Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

neo.kap

Error on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by neo.kap » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi All,

Today I received citizenship invitation letter with details on certificate at the bottom of the letter.

My ceremony is on 21st Jan.

Place of birth is incorrect on it.

1. Is there anyway I can get place of birth corrected before ceremony so that I will get certificate with correct details? if Yes, what is the process and how long it will take.

2. If I go for ceremony first and then send certificate for the correction (as letter says)? what is the process and how long it takes?

neo.kap

Re: Error on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by neo.kap » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Anyone please?

opty88

Post by opty88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 pm

It can take between 3-6 weeks. I had my child's certificate amended earlier this year. I did it asap after it was issued and I didn't pay

opty88

Post by opty88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:37 pm

It can take between 3-6 weeks. I had my child's certificate amended earlier this year. I did it asap after it was issued and I didn't pay

neo.kap

Post by neo.kap » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:02 pm

opty88 wrote:It can take between 3-6 weeks. I had my child's certificate amended earlier this year. I did it asap after it was issued and I didn't pay
Thanks opty.

How long did it take in your case?
What documents did you send along with certificate (orginal or photocopies) ?
On which address do I need to send?

opty88

Post by opty88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:23 pm

I think it took 3 weeks. I wrote a letter detailing what the error was and added the original birth certificate. I believe I sent it to the address on the approval letter (can't remember exactly).

onabanjo

Post by onabanjo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 am

If you have taken time to read dutyfully the contents of all correspondences regarding your citizenship approval, you would have seensomewhere that if you notice any mistake particularly in your name which to me is more material compared to place of birth, you should still attend the ceremony and you can send the letter together with passport impliedly as a way of evidence that they made the mistake.
The import of that statement is that regardless of your observation, you need to attend the ceremony first, so OBEY FIRST BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN.
Good luck
Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

neo.kap

Post by neo.kap » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:44 pm

opty88 wrote:I think it took 3 weeks. I wrote a letter detailing what the error was and added the original birth certificate. I believe I sent it to the address on the approval letter (can't remember exactly).
Can you please provide template cover letter you send for certificate correction?

neo.kap

Post by neo.kap » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Can anyone please provide me with the template

neo.kap

Post by neo.kap » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Should I send original passport or a copy of passport? I am bit worried about sending original passport in case it gets lost.

Home office letter says "Send a copy of passport or birth certificate"

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:36 pm

neo.kap wrote:Should I send original passport or a copy of passport? I am bit worried about sending original passport in case it gets lost.

Home office letter says "Send a copy of passport or birth certificate"
If HO letter says send a copy then send a copy :-)