ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship application for spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abc111
BANNED

citizenship application for spouse

Post by abc111 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi
Thankfully I got my citizenship and now I would like to apply for:

1. My spouse citizenship. She has been in the UK for around 4 years and holds ILR for around 1.5 years. Passed LIUK and IELTS with 5.5 bands (last year). Please suggest which form to be used and any special documentations/ requirements!

Thanks.

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: citizenship application for spouse

Post by milan69 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:12 pm

AN From.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... N_v1_0.pdf

She has to have been absent for no more than 270 days in total in the last three years and 90 days in the final year.
I am sometimes wrong.

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Many thanks.

A couple of queries while trying to fill the forms:

1. She never worked in the UK so doesn't have a NI number? What should I fill in the boxes against NI?
2. She passed IELTS with score 5.5. Does she meet the English speaking requirements?!

Thanks.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:41 pm

You don't need to put anything if you don't have the number. I guess your wife will be putting "unemployed"?
I am sometimes wrong.

shakil.saif79
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shakil.saif79 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Please help me with the following query:

My sister in law entered in the UK in July, 2011 on Tier1 General Dependent Visa and subsequently, she obtained indefinite leave to remain in October, 2013. Now my brother is a British Citizen through naturalisation (5 years on tier 1 general and 1 year on ILR). My sister in law has been in the UK for almost 3.5 years (2 years and 3 months on Tier1 General Dependent Visa and has spent almost 14 months on ILR).

I want to know that can my sister in law apply / qualify for Naturalisation (as my brother is a British Citizen now) and have subsisting relationship. If yes, please provide guide line or links to answer my query.

A swift reply will be much appreciated. Many Thanks

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:22 pm

She has to have been resident for the last 3 years, married to BC and hold ILR in order to be able to apply for naturalization. She also has to meet residency requirements for not to have been absent for more than 270 days in the last 3 years in total and 90 days in the final year.
I am sometimes wrong.

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks.
Would 5.5 IELTS bands (Listening and Speaking both more that 5.5) be sufficient to satisfy the english language requirements!!
Thanks.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:40 pm

abc111 wrote:Thanks.
Would 5.5 IELTS bands (Listening and Speaking both more that 5.5) be sufficient to satisfy the english language requirements!!
Thanks.
According to this link this should be 4.0 so you are fine in my view.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

shakil.saif79
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shakil.saif79 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 am

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply and guidance.

I just want to draw your attention that my sister in law came to UK on tier 1 general dependent visa in 2011. by then my brother was on Tier 1 general visa. my brother and sister in law got their ILR together in October, 2013. My brother received naturalisation after 12 months on ILR last week. now he is a British citizen.

Please confirm whether my sister in law can apply for naturalisation now or she has to complete her 5 years stay in the UK before she can apply for naturalisation? She has passed english language exam at B1 level.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:58 am

I never have come across any special requirements when applying for naturalisation as a spouse of BC other than ones I have already written.
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen
I am sometimes wrong.

shakil.saif79
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shakil.saif79 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Many Thanks Milan.

At the time of marriage my brother was not British citizen and hence my sister in law entered in the uk as tier 1 general dependent. By looking at your advice and reading AN guidance and AN Booklet describes, it look likes that it does not matter what was their status at the time of marriage. BUT as she is wife of British Citizen now and that's why she can apply for naturalization as she has already spent 3.5 years in the UK. am i right?

I am sorry for asking you same question again and again but i am still confused. Thanks once again for your help and guidance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:22 pm

It does not matter about when they married and what visa she entered on. At the point of applying for citizenship, she should be married to a British citizen if she wants to apply on the basis of 3 years. It is the circumstances at the time of naturalisation application that is relevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ravib1729
Newly Registered

Post by ravib1729 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi,

Please help me with the following queries regarding British Naturalization
Myself, spouse and kid are on ILR for the past one year.

I lived in UK for more than 6 years now and more than 1 year on ILR
My wife lived in UK for more than 4 and half years and more than 1 year on ILR
Kid (age 20 months) is living in UK for the past 14 months in the UK with more than 1 year on ILR.

Can we ( all three) apply for British Citizenship at the same time?

I am aware that Myself and my kid are eligible and can apply at the same time.
Does my wife need to wait till I get my BC and then apply or can she apply along with us.

Regards

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 pm

ravib1729 wrote:Hi,

Please help me with the following queries regarding British Naturalization
Myself, spouse and kid are on ILR for the past one year.

I lived in UK for more than 6 years now and more than 1 year on ILR
My wife lived in UK for more than 4 and half years and more than 1 year on ILR.
Kid (age 20 months) is living in UK for the past 14 months in the UK with more than 1 year on ILR.

Can we ( all three) apply for British Citizenship at the same time?

I am aware that Myself and my kid are eligible and can apply at the same time.
Does my wife need to wait till I get my BC and then apply or can she apply along with us.

Regards
If those 4.5 years were without ILR then she's eligible, but if those 4.5 years include ILR then she has to wait till you get citizenship or her 0.5 year is completed, whichever comes first.

Experts can tell you better, good luck :)
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

ravib1729
Newly Registered

Post by ravib1729 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks for a quick reply.
Duration's are as follows

I lived in UK for total of 6 years 7 months (1 year on ILR included)
My wife lived in UK for total of 4 years and 4 months(1 year on ILR included)
My kid (age 20 months) lived in UK for 14 months (1 year on ILR included)

From your reply my wife has to wait till she completes 5 years or till I get BC.

Once more query please
If myself and my kid applied for Naturalization today( 15/12/2014). We got approval letters in 6 months say (15/06/2015), by then my kid is not in UK, can I apply for her passport while she is not in UK and send the passport to the Country she is living in (India). Then what will happen to her existing Indian citizenship. How can she surrender her exiting Indian passport to Indian government. Can she apply for OCI in India.

Regards

Regards

shakil.saif79
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shakil.saif79 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:12 pm

applied for naturalization for my sister in law. What will happen if she wants to travel back home for couple of months while her naturalization application is under process.

Q1. if application is successful and my sister in law is not in the UK. Can my brother (British Citizen) or myself will be able to receive her naturalization certificate on her behalf. if yes, please explain procedure or please provide link how.

Q2. if we are not allowed to receive her certificate, how long we can wait / delay to book an appointment for citizenship ceremony so that she can be in the UK i.e. if we receive letter to book an appointment for citizenship ceremony in Feb or March, can we delay to book an appointment in May or June so that she is physically in the UK to receive her certificate.

Q3. Is her ILR remain valid until she has not received naturalization certificate and can she re-enter in the UK on the basis of her ILR?

Any links or information is much appreciated.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:41 pm

shakil.saif79 wrote:
Q1. if application is successful and my sister in law is not in the UK. Can my brother (British Citizen) or myself will be able to receive her naturalization certificate on her behalf. if yes, please explain procedure or please provide link how.
No
shakil.saif79 wrote: Q2. if we are not allowed to receive her certificate, how long we can wait / delay to book an appointment for citizenship ceremony so that she can be in the UK i.e. if we receive letter to book an appointment for citizenship ceremony in Feb or March, can we delay to book an appointment in May or June so that she is physically in the UK to receive her certificate.
She'll need to book ceremony within couple of weeks of receiving approval and need to attend within 3 months.
shakil.saif79 wrote: Q3. Is her ILR remain valid until she has not received naturalization certificate and can she re-enter in the UK on the basis of her ILR?
She is not British until she attends the ceremony. Her BRP will be valid and she can use that to re enter UK.

shakil.saif79
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shakil.saif79 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL BOARD MEMBERS:)

Many Thanks AKhurshid For A Very Comprehensive Answer.

Can you please provide relevant links where i can read about attending naturalisation ceremoney within three months of receiving letter.

What will happen if she does not attend ceremony in three months? Will a new appointment letter be issued to her or she has to re-apply for naturalisation?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:12 pm

See also Chapter 6.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.