ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost BRP when abroad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nafe12

Lost BRP when abroad

Post by nafe12 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:13 am

When you lose a BRP abroad, it says to report it to the police, cancel the card, and apply for a replacement (single entry) BRP.

However, reading some threads here, it seems that a replacement BRP can take months.

If I go for a weekend away to Europe, and my BRP is stolen, it's unreasonable that I can spend MONTHS there waiting, for a single entry permit.

Does anyone know of the procedures/timeframes for such situations?
Surely if you could make it to the UK, you could explain the situation on entry, they could test fingerprints, etc, then?

wf
Member of Standing

Re: Lost BRP when abroad

Post by wf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:58 am

I know of people who have turned up without a BRP - the immigration officer looked them up and let them in. Obviously it's a lot easier if you're not a visa national, but without a return ticket getting the airline to allow you on the flight can be a hurdle.

evand
Newly Registered

Re: Lost BRP when abroad

Post by evand » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 am

I cannot speak for the case of a visa, if that's what programme you're under. However, I lost my BRP this past November and was able to return from the USA without issue. I brought a photocopy I had previously made of the card and my ILR letter. The immigration officer sternly warned that I should have reported the card missing immediately, but the experience was otherwise without issue.

It's worth noting that the application for a replacement card while inside the UK can take anywhere from a month to three or six. During this time you will not be able to travel abroad, as re-entering the UK would require you to enter on a tourist visa and could invalidate your existing permission to stay in the UK.