ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - English language

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jain208

Naturalisation - English language

Post by jain208 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:37 pm

I am applying for naturalisation and I see this in the new form (June 2014)

✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR
✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada); OR
✔ I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013

As per the Form AN Guide, it states that I need
"Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
2. An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree)"

I have an official letter from my university in India stating that my language of instruction was English ( I used this in my previous Tier 1/ILR applications). Also, my degree is listed in the Points Based Calculator.
So, it looks like I don't need Statement of Comparability from NARIC. If it is not required, then the options in the form are not very clear because from the options, it seems that a confirmation from NARIC is required. I am a bit confused and not sure which one to choose that exactly matches my situation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Abhi.

jain208

Re: Naturalisation - English language

Post by jain208 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:53 am

Hi,

I would appreciate any help on my question.

Thanks,
Abhi.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:37 am

jain208 wrote:Hi,

I would appreciate any help on my question.

Thanks,
Abhi.

Read it like the guidance (I've made the relevant part bold) :
I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
So personally, if your University comes up in Points bases calculator with 10 points for English as well, then I' would take that printout to send with degree, also I would go for NCS as well to have it double checked.
Good luck. :)
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

jain208

Post by jain208 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks fwd079,

I also thought the same, but the language in the form confused me.
Yes, I am going through the NCS service for sending my application. It will cost me some extra money but will give some confidence in my application.

Thanks again,
Abhi.

jain208

Post by jain208 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 pm

jain208 wrote:I am applying for naturalisation and I see this in the new form (June 2014)

✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR
✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(other than Canada); OR
✔ I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013

As per the Form AN Guide, it states that I need
"Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
2. An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree)"

I have an official letter from my university in India stating that my language of instruction was English ( I used this in my previous Tier 1/ILR applications). Also, my degree is listed in the Points Based Calculator.
So, it looks like I don't need Statement of Comparability from NARIC. If it is not required, then the options in the form are not very clear because from the options, it seems that a confirmation from NARIC is required. I am a bit confused and not sure which one to choose that exactly matches my situation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Abhi.
Hi,

I understand that the university letter / print out of Points Based Calculator is sufficient but I am still not sure which option in the form to choose.

✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification (probably); OR
✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and (probably):
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English (no confirmation from NARIC); or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (not applicable)
(other than Canada); OR
✔ I am a national of a majority English speaking country (not applicable); OR
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 (not applicable)

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:42 am

jain208 wrote: Hi,

I understand that the university letter / print out of Points Based Calculator is sufficient but I am still not sure which option in the form to choose.

✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification (probably); OR
✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and (probably):
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English (no confirmation from NARIC); or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (not applicable)
(other than Canada); OR
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 (not applicable)
You kind of repeated your question, but anyway.
First option is for those who want to take an English language test when their degrees etc do not come up in Points calculator.

Since option is for you, as you said your degree comes up in points calculator, you can ignore the first option and go for your degree certificate with a print-out from Point Based calculator, which must show you have been awarded 10 points in English by the system.

Thirdly, if you degree does not show English points but have PBS points, then you need UKNARIC certificate. This is time consuming so if my degree no longer appears I'd go for English test i.e. option 1.

So firstly I would check what PBS calculator puts out. Then decide accordingly.
Good luck :)

jain208

Post by jain208 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:59 am

fwd079 wrote:
jain208 wrote: Hi,

(other than Canada); OR
You kind of repeated your question, but anyway.
First option is for those who want to take an English language test when their degrees etc do not come up in Points calculator.

Since Do you mean second? option is for you, as you said your degree comes up in points calculator, you can ignore the first option and go for your degree certificate with a print-out from Point Based calculator, which must show you have been awarded 10 points in English by the system.

Thirdly, if you degree does not show English points but have PBS points, then you need UKNARIC certificate. This is time consuming so if my degree no longer appears I'd go for English test i.e. option 1.

So firstly I would check what PBS calculator puts out. Then decide accordingly. My degree appears in PBS

Good luck :)
Hi,

Sorry for repeating the question. I totally understand what you are saying and what documents are required - I need the printout from PBS calculator, my degree and letter from University stating language of instruction. The point that is confusing me is the option to choose in the form.

The most suitable option for me is I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom, but that requires me to choose another another option out of these 2:-
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);

Both of them doesn't match me-
Problem with i) I have got no written confirmation from UK NARIC.
Problem with ii) the qualification was not taught in UK or majorly English speaking country. The qualification is in India. Due to the fact that the degree is in PBS, does that mean this option applies for me?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I hope you understand that I do not want to take chances and want to be 100% sure when filling up the form.

Thanks for all your help.
Abhi.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

Please take a look in this link and this one, also this thread and let me know if that helps?

jain208

Post by jain208 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am

fwd079 wrote:Please take a look in this link and this one, also this thread and let me know if that helps?

Thanks for the links but they just tell me what I already know. I totally understand that the PBS printout is sufficient, but I need to check which option to choose in the form because the options are confusing and doesn't mention a thing about PBS.

As I understand, the closest option for me are the ones in red below:-
✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help and patience. :-)
Abhi.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 am

India is not considered a country where English is a major language, but degree as you say is taught in English.
Then I'd go for the method mentioned here.

jain208

Post by jain208 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:51 am

Hi fwd079,

This link also says the same thing that PBS Calculator print out and my degree are sufficient in my case. I am just trying to find which option to tick in the form that corresponds to these documents.

My question is simple - Which option in the form should I tick when I am submitting PBS calculator printout and degree as the proof for English language requirement?

Are they the ones in red below?
1. I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR
2. I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(other than Canada); OR

3. I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR
4. I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013

Can anybody who has submitted these documents also tell what option they chose?

Thanks,
Abhi.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Ah I see!
Sorry I used B1 so mine was straightforward, but I have requested a senior to take a look. I'd await the reply.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:15 pm

jain208 wrote:Hi fwd079,

This link also says the same thing that PBS Calculator print out and my degree are sufficient in my case. I am just trying to find which option to tick in the form that corresponds to these documents.

My question is simple - Which option in the form should I tick when I am submitting PBS calculator printout and degree as the proof for English language requirement?

1. I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR
2. I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(other than Canada); OR

4. I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013

Thanks,
Abhi.

I would choose second and then first options but you need to make sure that points base calculator gives you at least 20 points for your degree else it will not be accepted.

jain208

Post by jain208 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 pm

akhurshid wrote:

(other than Canada); OR

Thanks,
Abhi.

I would choose second option but you need to make sure that points base calculator gives you at least 20 points for your degree else it will not be accepted.
Thanks akhurshid for the quick reply.

I will choose option 2 and sub-option ii then -
2. I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom, and
ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada)

PBS Calculator gives my degree 30 points, so that should be fine then.

Thanks again for your help.
Abhi.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:31 pm

jain208 wrote:
akhurshid wrote:

(other than Canada); OR

Thanks,
Abhi.

I would choose second option but you need to make sure that points base calculator gives you at least 20 points for your degree else it will not be accepted.
Thanks akhurshid for the quick reply.

I will choose option 2 and sub-option ii then -
2. I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom, and
ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada)

Abhi.
No chose 2 and then i.
i and ii are both wrong but i is bit more relevant to your situation.
Only chose ii if your degree is actually from an english speaking country.

jain208

Post by jain208 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Oh!! Thanks for the clarification. :-)

Thanks,
Abhi.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:39 pm

no worries. Good luck

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks akhurshid. Appreciate that. :)

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:57 pm

fwd079 wrote:Thanks akhurshid. Appreciate that. :)
Glad to help bud

srivathsa

Post by srivathsa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

jain208 wrote:
akhurshid wrote:
jain208 wrote:

Abhi.
Hi,

I am bit confused with regards to PBS calculator, I know I need to get atleast 20 points for Degree and 10 for English language, but in the PBS calculator site, I can only see 10 points for English language, where do you see/get points for Degree separately?

I have done Post graduation from a university in India, which I used successfully for my ILR application last year.

Thanks

Sri

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:56 pm

see the attachment.
Attachments
pbs.jpg
pbs.jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

srivathsa

Post by srivathsa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi,

I am getting a different screen, I can't see any tab for qualifications, age. Could you send me the link you are using please?

I am using this https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces

thanks

Sri

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:23 pm

That is the link I used as well. I chose tier 1 to start with

srivathsa

Post by srivathsa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:32 pm

I chose Tier 2, and I guess that's the problem.

I saw in this threadhttp://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 73238.html, that it doesn't work for Tier 2 but works for Tier 1.

I am going to try with Tier 1 option and see what happens, in the assumption that the HO is only interested in the Degree and English language parts of the PBS.

Thanks

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

srivathsa wrote:I chose Tier 2, and I guess that's the problem.

I saw in this threadhttp://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 73238.html, that it doesn't work for Tier 2 but works for Tier 1.

I am going to try with Tier 1 option and see what happens, in the assumption that the HO is only interested in the Degree and English language parts of the PBS.

Thanks
Yeah that shouldn't make any difference as all you want to check and prove is that degree is on the PBS calculator.