ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport for baby born in india

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bumblebee123

british passport for baby born in india

Post by bumblebee123 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:38 am

Hi,

We've applied for British Passport for our newly born son in India at VFS on 10th Of September 2014 and our Application was received by Liverpool office on 12th of September 2014 and fees was deducted towards the application on 15th of September 2014.

Is anyone else also around the same timeline or situation? If so what are your experiences? I've phoned UK Passport Helpline this morning and they refused to talk anything further saying that they would only entertain after the minimum "16 weeks" period had passed from date of application.

Please kindly share your experieces.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: british passport for baby born in india

Post by fwd079 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Look at "RELATED TOPICS" below this thread.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:38 am

I didn't find any thread specific to September 2014 timeline particularly for out of UK applications?!

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi
We submitted ours on 10th Nov. It's a waiting game now
Raj

FinallyPR
Newly Registered

Post by FinallyPR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Hello,
Could you please give me the Link to book vfs appointment.

Thank you
Shilpa

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 pm

You can't book it yourself, visit vfs India website, depending on your region you'll need to send email to a particular email address with probable dates and times for which vfs will reply back.

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:45 am

@bumblebee - I see u have another 3 weeks left before you can contact UKBA... meanwhile have you heard anything from them at all?
Kindly keep us posted

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:05 am

Yes till now I've Phoned them thrice and I was only told that security checks are being carried out. Any luck for you?

benz710
Newly Registered

Post by benz710 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:05 pm

I applied for my son UK passport from VFS aswell but from Thailand.

applied on: 12/11/14
reached IPS liverpool and fee taken on 17/11/14

it says 8 weeks for applications from Thailand but I've not heared anything from them since.

:(

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:24 am

@BBee - I have not heard anything yet but will ring them after Jan10th as I will complete 8 weeks by then.
@Benz - Surprising to know that it's 8 weeks from Thailand while it's 16 weeks from India (which was originally 12 weeks). Not sure what's driving these time frames.

I found this very interesting please check it out

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... plications

-Raj

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:57 am

I can't find any New thing on that link.

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Have they contacted your counter signatory?

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:56 pm

no

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 pm

@BBee - I see u contacted local MP for application number - could you please let me know the process for contacting MP's office and how long did it take to get the application number?
Thanks

benz710
Newly Registered

Post by benz710 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:21 am

benz710 wrote:I applied for my son UK passport from VFS aswell but from Thailand.

applied on: 12/11/14
reached IPS liverpool and fee taken on 17/11/14

it says 8 weeks for applications from Thailand but I've not heared anything from them since.

:(
I got a call from VFS Thailand today 29/12/14 that my son UK passport is ready for pick up. Very impressed. It took less than 8 weeks as said in the website. :)

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Hey Benz congratulations its really great news and I hope you will have a great time with family in New Year.
Very happy for you
-Raj

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:19 pm

Call your mps office and discuss your case. They will guide you.

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:04 pm

I have contacted MP's office and the response they had from HMPO is standard response saying processing time is 16weeks etc...how r things at ur end?

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:00 pm

No change

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:35 pm

You have completed 16 weeks so why are they still delaying it? How many more weeks they want? what are they saying?

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Routine checks

bumblebee123

Post by bumblebee123 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Routine checks

dhanubs

Post by dhanubs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:27 am

We applied for British passport for our daughter on 26th August 2014 as both my wife and I hold a UK passport. The fee was deducted on 2nd of September. Needless to say we had submitted every document on earth you could possibly think of while making the application at the VFS Centre. We thought everything was going on track and will receive our passport in a maximum of 16 weeks. My wife received an email from HMPO on 10th of December asking for Indian passport of both parents and latest photographs (both of which were already sent as part of the application) Mind you that this email was originally sent on 10th of November to an incorrect email address and the person who sent it didn't bother to check whether the email bounced back. They sent the same email telling us that they haven't had a reply again on 10th of December but this this time it was sent to the correct address (of course we wouldn't have known about it otherwise) So clearly, they wasted a month's of our time due to their negligence.

I contacted my MP in the first week of Jan 2015 and requested him to make a representation as to why the application has taken longer than 16 weeks - to which he happily obliged. He sent a letter to the CEO of passport office requesting for a reply and the reply he received in his own words were "frustrating" as it was a standard reply saying they are doing routine security checks and they need to be sure any applicant is eligible for British passport before issuing the same. Every time I call the HMPO customer service it's a standard reply saying the application is still undergoing routine security checks. It's now been 23 weeks since we made the application and no light at the end of the tunnel yet. In the hindsight, I seriously regret taking a UK passport for my wife and should have stayed on Indian passport at least until after the baby was born and they arrived in the UK. In that case we had a choice to apply for Indian passport. So my advice to anyone planning to have the baby in India and applying for a British passport - it's definitely not worth the hassle.

ilrtier1

Post by ilrtier1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi,

I am a BC since 2014. I & My wife have ILR since 2011. We need to bring our new born baby girl to the UK from India.
Option 1: If I apply for direct british passort for the baby, the website says 16 weeks. I would like to know if anybody has been interviewed for British passport for their kid OTHER than in Delhi in India.
As I have to return to the UK in two weeks time, I cannot submit my original passport with the baby's passport application. Can I notorize my passport with an Indian lawyer, thought the gov.uk website says UK solicitor to be notorized?
The processing time mentioned is minimum 16 weeks in the gov.uk website. Has any applicant obtained the passport in 16 weeks?
The issue is my wife needs to start work after her 6 months maternity leave in August. If the maternity needs to be extended we need to inform the empoyer two months in advance. means I should know if the baby is going to get a passport by end of May. ie, in 12 weeks time.

Other option we think is o obtain an Indian passport and apply for ILR for the baby. The time mentioned for ilr only is 12 weeks. The Indian passport may obtain with in 2 weeks. Hence in total 14 weeks time, we may be able to take a decision about travel date to the UK.

Has anybody applied for childs british passport and obtained in 16 weeks? what were the documents included?
Similarly has anybody applied for ilr from India for child, which form did you use?

I am really confused, which option to select in my particular situation. Can anybody suggest please.

Thanks very much in advance

Atel

joseprithvi
Newly Registered

Post by joseprithvi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 pm

ilrtier1 wrote:Hi,

I am a BC since 2014. I & My wife have ILR since 2011. We need to bring our new born baby girl to the UK from India.
Option 1: If I apply for direct british passort for the baby, the website says 16 weeks. I would like to know if anybody has been interviewed for British passport for their kid OTHER than in Delhi in India. - Interviews are held at your nearest VFS centre.
As I have to return to the UK in two weeks time, I cannot submit my original passport with the baby's passport application. Can I notorize my passport with an Indian lawyer, thought the gov.uk website says UK solicitor to be notorized? - They will return your original passport straight after you submitted application. They will not keep passport. Not sure on notorising by Indian lawyer.
The processing time mentioned is minimum 16 weeks in the gov.uk website. Has any applicant obtained the passport in 16 weeks? - Both in this Forum and Indiamike forums you will see that it takes atleast 26-32 weeks although website says 16 weeks. I would recommend to be prepared for this and notify empolyer about potential delay.
The issue is my wife needs to start work after her 6 months maternity leave in August. If the maternity needs to be extended we need to inform the empoyer two months in advance. means I should know if the baby is going to get a passport by end of May. ie, in 12 weeks time.

Other option we think is o obtain an Indian passport and apply for ILR for the baby. The time mentioned for ilr only is 12 weeks. The Indian passport may obtain with in 2 weeks. Hence in total 14 weeks time, we may be able to take a decision about travel date to the UK. - This is BEST option if it's going to work

Has anybody applied for childs british passport and obtained in 16 weeks? what were the documents included? - Please go thru this forum and Indiamike
Similarly has anybody applied for ilr from India for child, which form did you use? No Idea

I am really confused, which option to select in my particular situation. Can anybody suggest please. - I think ILR is best if it works. Don't even try British passport

Thanks very much in advance

Atel