ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vivdubes

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by vivdubes » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:22 pm

If you manage to get UK passport then it is not advisable to travel on Indian passport. You would hv to pay fine later. The rule of 3 months valid travel is only when you don't have any foreign passport and only became UK citizen so in practical terms you just have your naturalisation certificate.

This is from one of VFS guys in UK

You hv to get a visa or go for OCI/ PIO whatever you may be eligible

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:53 pm

vivdubes wrote:If you manage to get UK passport then it is not advisable to travel on Indian passport. You would hv to pay fine later. The rule of 3 months valid travel is only when you don't have any foreign passport and only became UK citizen so in practical terms you just have your naturalisation certificate.

This is from one of VFS guys in UK

You hv to get a visa or go for OCI/ PIO whatever you may be eligible
The VFS person's understanding is not correct. No fine payable for travel on Indian passport within the grace period of 3 months from naturalisation irrespective of the possesion of foreign passport.

syb007
Newly Registered

Post by syb007 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi,

If anyone recently visited VFS Center at Goswell Rd.
Do I need to take an appointment for Passport surrender at below VFS Center?
If it is walkin, then are there any long queues. Just wanted to know how much time it takes, so that I can plan my office work.

India Visa Application Center
142-148 Goswell Road,
London EC1V 7DU

Thanks,
Syb

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:18 pm

No appointment required; walk-in
it's usually less busy in the afternoon - around/after lunch hours.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks ban.s. your words are so powerful, coz the lady behind the counter says morning is so quiet and once the lunch hour comes so many people coming to surrender, and she said i dont know why. but i didnt tell her its you (lol). this is fact and iam not joking.

thanks again for your support in this thread.

time line:

application submitted on: 31/12/14
centre: goswell road
paid with card only for: fees and dx courier for return of certificate and passport

please take copies of all pages of your indian passport,
your original indian passport
your original british passport
your copy of certificate of naturalisation
duly filled app form.

there is a self service photocopy machine which charges 10p per page and no change given, so better take change.
toilet facility available and its clean.
drinking water available as well.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Application Date : 15/01/2015
Postal / In-person: In-person
VFS office: Goswell Road, London (short distance from Babrican H&C line)
HCI issued surrender certificate : 19/01/2015
VFS Email : 21/01/2015
Online Status (processed): 21/01/2015
Collected Surrender certificate in-person: 22/01/2015

Collection took 20 mins, token# 2144 to 2179 in 20 mins. Good luck.

ravera29
Newly Registered

Post by ravera29 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Hello ,

in December 2nd Week my application for Naturalization was approved.
During this process my Passport and BRP Card were misplaced by UK Immigration service. So we reported to police in Jan 1st week.

And re-applied Biometric residence permit Indian passport in Jan 2nd week.

Now I appearing for Naturalization ceremony in Feb 1st week. So my question is, is there any issue if I attend Ceremony and receive British Passport before I receive my replacement Indian Passport, is this will cause any issues when I applying for OCI ?

Please Advice

Thanks
Ravera

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:09 pm

ravera29 wrote:Hello ,

in December 2nd Week my application for Naturalization was approved.
During this process my Passport and BRP Card were misplaced by UK Immigration service. So we reported to police in Jan 1st week.

And re-applied Biometric residence permit Indian passport in Jan 2nd week.

Now I appearing for Naturalization ceremony in Feb 1st week. So my question is, is there any issue if I attend Ceremony and receive British Passport before I receive my replacement Indian Passport, is this will cause any issues when I applying for OCI ?

Please Advice

Thanks
Ravera
I would not attend naturalisation ceremony until I have obtained the new indian passport.
have you been told any estimated time by when the Indian passport would be ready?
you have 90 days from approval of natuaralisation application to attend the ceremony - ie mid march, so if you don't have any other pressing issues, you may wish to consider postponing the ceremony until the new passport is received. would make subsequent surrender and oci applications much more hassle free.

ravera29
Newly Registered

Post by ravera29 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:00 am

Hi All,
I clearly mentioned my situation honestly in the covering letter.

Yesterday i received a voice message from Indian consulate. They told we won't issue Indian passport and submit the naturalization certificate after the ceremony "please come meet us with the certificate". I hope it seems allright

Any light on this. How Indian embassy will proceed our case

Thanks
Ravera

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 am

@ravera29

You are still Indian until you have attended the citizenship ceremony and have claim to Indian passport. However as you have communicated your intention to naturalise in Feb, it's difficult to comment.

Pl do as HCI have suggested and post your experience.

apk123
Newly Registered

Post by apk123 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:45 am

Hi guys.the Vfs website now does not show an option or address for postal applications. Does anyone know if it is still available and if yes what is the address to send the application to?
Thanks

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Application Date : 27/05/2015
VFS office: Hounslow - 10 minutes to complete the process for 2 applications. went alone at 12:45 pm and there was only 1 other applicant and was out by 12.55 pm
HCI issued surrender certificate :
VFS Email :
Online Status:
Surrender certificate Received:

alien.uk
Mood:

Post by alien.uk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Dear All - Does anyone experiencing delay of obtaining passport surrender certificate?
I applied for one for my kid at Glasgow VFS center on 13/02 but still no news on the surrender certificate.

I see many updating that the certificate issued within 1 week. I see only the below status

Your application is processed and sent to the respective office of the High Commission/Consulate General of India in the UK for further assessment. Please check our website www.in.vfsglobal.co.uk for further information on 'Processing Times'

Interestingly I don't see any information on processing times on the website.
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Application Date : 27/05/2015
VFS office: Hounslow - 10 minutes to complete the process for 2 applications. went alone at 12:45 pm and there was only 1 other applicant and was out by 12.55 pm
HCI issued surrender certificate : 05-Mar-2015
VFS Email : 05-Mar-2015
Online Status: 05-Mar-2015 Processed application is ready for Courier/Collection at Application Centre-West London-High Commission.
Surrender certificate Received:

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:45 pm

[quote="manimaran"]Application Date : 27/05/2015
HCI issued surrender certificate : 05-Mar-2015
VFS Email : 05-Mar-2015
Online Status: 05-Mar-2015 Processed application is ready for Courier/Collection at Application Centre-West London-High Commission.
Surrender certificate Received:06-Mar-2015

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi all,

Just noticed that my Surrender certificate has got Indian High Commission seal but no sign above Passport Officer text.

Any one faced with the same situation and applied OCI successfully or do I need to get sign in the certificate?

Cheers,
Mani

gulz
Newly Registered

Post by gulz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Without going into much detail, my wife, out of her naive stupidity, ripped my British Naturalisation Certificate. I have already had my British passport interview, so am assuming that my British passport is on its way. Next step is to renounce Indian citizenship. Does anyone know if I need the original naturalisation certificate for surrendering my Indian passport? VFS website says I only need a photocopy of the naturalisation certificate, which I have. Does the VFS staff insist on verifying the original naturalisation certificate?

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi Gulz,

From my experience, you only need self attested photocopy of naturalization certificate, not original.

alien.uk
Mood:

Post by alien.uk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:47 pm

alien.uk wrote:Dear All - Does anyone experiencing delay of obtaining passport surrender certificate?
I applied for one for my kid at Glasgow VFS center on 13/02 but still no news on the surrender certificate.

I see many updating that the certificate issued within 1 week. I see only the below status

Your application is processed and sent to the respective office of the High Commission/Consulate General of India in the UK for further assessment. Please check our website http://www.in.vfsglobal.co.uk for further information on 'Processing Times'

Interestingly I don't see any information on processing times on the website.

I received the certificate today ... close to a month after it was applied!
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:11 pm

gulz wrote:Without going into much detail, my wife, out of her naive stupidity, ripped my British Naturalisation Certificate. I have already had my British passport interview, so am assuming that my British passport is on its way. Next step is to renounce Indian citizenship. Does anyone know if I need the original naturalisation certificate for surrendering my Indian passport? VFS website says I only need a photocopy of the naturalisation certificate, which I have. Does the VFS staff insist on verifying the original naturalisation certificate?
you need to prove that you are british citizen, they might ask your original naturalisation certificate.dont worry, you got 3 years time to surrender, so apply for certificate as the old one damaged and then go for surrender.

courtesy of BAN.S(Moderator)
the 3 months is only for travel on indian passport.
however if you wish to travel to indian beyond 3 month period then you must surrender and obtain visa or oci prior travel else risk penalty

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 pm

also see

4. Retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring foreign citizenship £ 145.00

ammu28

Post by ammu28 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:58 am

Application Date : 16/03/2015
VFS office: Newcastle Upon Tyne
HCI issued surrender certificate : 24-Mar-2015
VFS Email : 24-Mar-2015
Online Status: 24-Mar-2015 Processed application is ready for Courier/Collection at Application Centre-West London-High Commission.
Surrender certificate Received: 24-Mar-2015
Regards
Ammu

srivathsa

Post by srivathsa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi,

I am currently in the process of getting British Passport, have got interview next week. Got naturalised last week.
I was just looking at the next set of steps to surrender Indian passport and getting OCI.

The application form on VFS site to surrender Indian passport is asking for British Passport details. I am not really sure why they would need British Passport number. Surely, getting a passport is not mandatory as such after becoming a citizen of a country or by birth.

Do I have to wait until I get the British Passport to apply to surrender the Indian Passport? Just want to speed up the process due to time restriction on my side.

Also, in terms of documents required, do I need to provide anything to prove my Indian Origin / date of Birth other than my Indian Passport. There is a mention of School leaving certificate or something on VFS site.

Thanks

Sri

theasterix
Newly Registered

Post by theasterix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:34 pm

gulz wrote:Without going into much detail, my wife, out of her naive stupidity, ripped my British Naturalisation Certificate. I have already had my British passport interview, so am assuming that my British passport is on its way. Next step is to renounce Indian citizenship. Does anyone know if I need the original naturalisation certificate for surrendering my Indian passport? VFS website says I only need a photocopy of the naturalisation certificate, which I have. Does the VFS staff insist on verifying the original naturalisation certificate?
You need the original citizenship ceritificate for : (a) To get surrender certificate and (b) To get an OCI.

Though you need to surrender Indian passport, there is no immediate time limit to do this task and potentially you may not even want an OCI. However I suggest you order another copy of the citizenship certificate. I do not see Indian HC accepting a taped copy of ripped citizenship certificate.

waitwaitwait

Post by waitwaitwait » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi guys,
I'm planning to surrender my indian pp as i have received my british pp today.
I wanted to ask if someone can help me with 2 things.
1 is that on the surrender form there is section for british pp details where it says place of issue-there is no such info on british pp so can you tell me what you guys mentioned?
2nd is that how do you self attest the photocopies?
Do you just write the word self attested and sign it?

Thanks