ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

time limit between getting naturalization cert and apply pas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

m.sheikh

time limit between getting naturalization cert and apply pas

Post by m.sheikh » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:15 am

Hi all,
I just wanted to find out if there is a time limit between getting your naturalization cert and applying for British passport. For example if someone gets his naturalisation certificate today can he apply for British passport 6 months later ?

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: time limit between getting naturalization cert and apply

Post by milan69 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:24 am

You can apply any time you want once you become naturalized. You only need a passport if you are traveling, otherwise you are not obliged to have it.
I am sometimes wrong.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:25 am

milan69 wrote:You can apply any time you want once you become naturalized. You only need a passport if you are traveling, otherwise you are not obliged to have it.
A guidance in this regard then please milan. I have applied and am waiting for my citizenship, but I do not plan to travel immediately after that so do not want to apply for passport. But I however want to change job once I get citizenship. Recruiters ask me about all sorts and interviews in IT industry (I guess any other industry too) are probing.

So in short, how to satisfy them if not with Passport? Will Certificate of citizenship or something else suffice?

Regards.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I suppose you can use your old passport along with BRP and Naturalisation Certificate.
I work in IT company and my colleague has never had a passport.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:22 pm

by akhurshid » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I suppose you can use your old passport along with BRP and Naturalisation Certificate.
Driving licence..
I am sometimes wrong.

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:31 pm

In this situation I would recommend you apply for a passport and be done with it. It is not expensive compared to BC application and take only about a month to get it - in the mean time use another ID with naturalization certificate.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks both. Appreciate the input.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:04 am

milan69 wrote:
by akhurshid » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Driving licence..
Can I apply for new driving licence after getting Naturalisation Certificate? when? and should I inform bank, school,..others about new citizenship?
Please advise

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:13 am

You don't have to inform anyone if you don't want to. However, if you register as a voter it will improve your credit rating.
I am sometimes wrong.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:42 am

fwd079 wrote: So in short, how to satisfy them if not with Passport? Will Certificate of citizenship or something else suffice?
List A wrote:10. A certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen, together with an official document giving the person’s permanent National Insurance number and their name issued by a Government agency or a previous employer.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:58 am

milan69 wrote:You don't have to inform anyone if you don't want to. However, if you register as a voter it will improve your credit rating.
Many thank milan69 for your advice, improving my credit score is v. important for me as am trying to buy a new home, however,will DVLA accept to change a driving licence to change nationality? Who to advise after getting BC?
Last edited by stokbrig on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 am

Why would you want to change your driving licence after getting British citizenship?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:34 am

vinny wrote:Why would you want to change your driving licence after getting British citizenship?
Do we need to write to gov. depts, companies and organisations that hold our personal records advising them of getting BC to amend their records accordingly?

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:34 pm

vinny wrote:
List A wrote:10. A certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen, together with an official document giving the person’s permanent National Insurance number and their name issued by a Government agency or a previous employer.
Appreciated vinny, unexpectedly quick approval (34 days unlike the 8 months ILR took) means I'd have time to apply for passport. However that's brilliant information, thanks.

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:08 pm

stokbrig wrote:
milan69 wrote:You don't have to inform anyone if you don't want to. However, if you register as a voter it will improve your credit rating.
Many thank milan69 for your advice, improving my credit score is v. important for me as am trying to buy a new home, however,will DVLA accept to change a driving licence to change nationality? Who to advise after getting BC?
Driving License does not have nationality on it - it has Country of Birth which will stay the same event after BC.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:33 pm

I was wondering if we need to write to gov. depts, companies and organisations that hold our personal records advising them of getting BC to amend their records accordingly?
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Which gov. depts, companies and organisations would care what nationality you hold? It's not a compulsory requirement to inform anyone, except, perhaps, when you are asked to vote.

Perhaps just the the electoral register, or some others, may be interested.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:48 pm

vinny wrote:Which gov. depts, companies and organisations would care what nationality you hold? It's not a compulsory requirement to inform anyone, except, perhaps, when you are asked to vote.

Thanks vinny, I have just emailed the Registrar office to update my Electoral records.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:54 pm

fwd079 wrote:
vinny wrote:Which gov. depts, companies and organisations would care what nationality you hold? It's not a compulsory requirement to inform anyone, except, perhaps, when you are asked to vote.

Thanks vinny, I have just emailed the Registrar office to update my Electoral records.
How credit reporting companies such as Experian or Equifax update their record if I am registered to vote on the electoral roll ?
What should I do? please advise