ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport refused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dsaid
Newly Registered

British Passport refused

Post by dsaid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:42 pm

hi
Ive applied for a british passport in my married name and my indian passport shows my maiden name, have been advised by uk passport i need to change my indian passport to my married name before they can issure me with a British Passport.
With my british passport application i have submitted orignal copy of my marriage certificate and have subbmitted british citizen certificate which has my married name as my name and previous name as my maiden name.
i have spoken to indian embassy who have advised me i can not change my name on my indian passport because im a british national now and india do not allow dual nationality, ive also asked them if i can surrender my indian passport which they said i will need a britsh passport before i can surrender my indian passport.

pls help not sure what to do

akhurshid

Re: British Passport refused

Post by akhurshid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:28 am

dsaid wrote:hi
Ive applied for a british passport in my married name and my indian passport shows my maiden name, have been advised by uk passport i need to change my indian passport to my married name before they can issure me with a British Passport.
With my british passport application i have submitted orignal copy of my marriage certificate and have subbmitted british citizen certificate which has my married name as my name and previous name as my maiden name.
i have spoken to indian embassy who have advised me i can not change my name on my indian passport because im a british national now and india do not allow dual nationality, ive also asked them if i can surrender my indian passport which they said i will need a britsh passport before i can surrender my indian passport.

pls help not sure what to do
Did you submit a name change deed poll? If not, I would get that. If your naturalisation certificate has the old name then you'll need to get that changed first. and then apply for British passport using new name. You'll need to send deed poll to Ho to get the name changed on naturalisation certificate and then to HMPO along with all the other documents.

dsaid
Newly Registered

Post by dsaid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 pm

naturalisation certificate has new married name on it, and previous name as maiden name. They said they do not need to see deed poll becuase they have my marriage certificate. They said they can not issue a british passport in married name. They will not issure a british passport under maiden name becuase naturilsation certificate has married name on it. They want me to change maiden name on indian passport to married name. i have spoken to indian embassy who have advised i can not change on my indian name because im a britsih national and the y will not allow me to surrender my indain passport without british passport.

kimsam
Newly Registered

Post by kimsam » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi, I'm in the same situation. The Embassy of my country won't change my passport to my married name because under the law of that country people can't change surname on marriage. However they acknowledged my married name by putting it on the observation page of my original passport. So i forwarded it to HMPO and a letter explaining why i couldn't change my surname. British passport must be issued in the name that is used for all purposes, so if you can prove to them that you have been using your married name for all purposes, they will consider your case. I sent them my bank statement and tax document to prove this. It's been 2 days and I haven't heard from them. Hope they're considering it because nothing else I can do about changing my foreign passport to my married name.
Let me know if you heard anything from them.
Cheers

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Normally rules are not defined with such rigidity in the UK.
Who advised you to get the Indian passport namechange? Is it the Post Office Check-and-Send? If it is, it is almost certainly worth checking directly with HMPO as they may not be educated about the matter. They are Post Office employees, not experts on passport rules.
Or did you get a letter from HMPO? If you did, can you enter the relevant text onhis forum, so that we can understand their requirements more?
EDIT: My request was for the OP.

dsaid
Newly Registered

Post by dsaid » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:14 pm

hi it was passport office
got letter from hmpo
letter states
You have provided indian passport as evidance of this application, howeve name on the indian passport differs from the name that you want to have recorded on the britsh passport.
British passport will not be issued if u hold a passport in a diffrent name
in these circumstances i cant issue a passport in ........ (married name) before the name in your current indian passport is changed or provide evidance that show a application has made for this change.

neo.kap

Post by neo.kap » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:45 pm

I have seen few post on this board where people have changed their name by deedpoll after naturalisation and before passport application and from their post it seems they received passport without any issue.

Having same name on foreign passport is new requriement for British Passport application?
or this requirement is for the applicats who submit marriage certificate for name change not for application with deedpoll?

kimsam
Newly Registered

Post by kimsam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Dsaid, have you heard anything from hmpo regarding your passport?

dsaid
Newly Registered

Post by dsaid » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:59 am

Went to see my Local MP- who has written a letter to them. Should get a response from Hmpo in next few days

cjc04
Newly Registered

Post by cjc04 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi dsaid,

Have have made any progress on your passport application? I am also facing the same problem, I am applying for my first british passport and would like to have my name changed, but I also have a Hong Kong passport which I am not able to have the name changed...

Best Regards,
Jack

kimsam
Newly Registered

Post by kimsam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm in the same situation as Jack. Are they still examining your application?
Last week they sent me a letter requesting me forward my foreign passport to them so they can have a look further. Since then i haven't heard anything, today i tracked it with the customer service they said my application is currently going through the examination process.
They should have warned us about this problem before putting our other name on naturalisation certificate.

cjc04
Newly Registered

Post by cjc04 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi kimsam,

No I haven't submitted my application yet because I am still unsure what supporting documents I need provide: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 80028.html. Hope you will get yours sorted to give me some confidence :)

kimsam
Newly Registered

Post by kimsam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Is the name on your naturalisation certificate the same as on your Hong Kong passport? If so, apply for passport in that name then change it to youe new name with a deed poll. Otherwise you will have the same problem, lol. I'm having to cancel my holiday because of this. i have mmarried name on naturalisation certificate and maiden name on my foreign passport. And my origin country do not accept name change upon marriage.

cjc04
Newly Registered

Post by cjc04 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Hmm... I am not married.
So I have my current name on both the HK passport and my naturalisation certification, and wish to apply for my first british passport in a new name. I would prefer to just apply once if that's possible :S

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 am

cjc04 wrote:Hmm... I am not married.
So I have my current name on both the HK passport and my naturalisation certification, and wish to apply for my first british passport in a new name. I would prefer to just apply once if that's possible :S
Change name through deed poll and attach that to Passport application.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

kimsam
Newly Registered

Post by kimsam » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Dsaid, are they still examining your application or did they return the documents to you?

dsaid
Newly Registered

Post by dsaid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Still Waiting

kimsam
Newly Registered

Post by kimsam » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm still waiting too. I'm gonna call the office tomorrow. It seems to me that this problem hasn't happened before and only started recently. I haven't found any official documents or rules that mention the name on British passport must match the name on foreign passport, instead, it only says the name on British passport must be the name on citizenship certificate . Looks like they're changing the rule regarding different name on foreign passport and we got stuck in the middle of this process.
Please keep updating, I'm in the same situation. when did you first apply?

dsaid
Newly Registered

Post by dsaid » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi sorry for late reply

Recived a letter from HMPO- they requested a Letter stating that i will give up my foreign pasport as soon as i recive of my british passport, sent letter off and with 2 days recived letter of interview, had interview on friday 30/1, recived passport this morning.

THANKS
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello dsaid,
dsaid wrote:Hi sorry for late reply

Recived a letter from HMPO- they requested a Letter stating that i will give up my foreign pasport as soon as i recive of my british passport, sent letter off and with 2 days recived letter of interview, had interview on friday 30/1, recived passport this morning.

THANKS
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL
Several of us are having the same problem, which is caused by this new regulation from 9 June 2014:
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1 ... te-pdf.pdf
Which says, on page 7:
"If the applicant provides a dual national passport in a different name, their application should be withdrawn until they change the name in their dual national passport to the one that they are requesting on their British passport".

It would be extremely useful if you were to provide us with additional information regarding the letter that allowed you to get around these regulations and receive your passport anyway. It seems like the only hope for us. I tried to send you a private message but I could find no way to do that on this forum. Could you please let us know if you are still here and if you can see this message? This route may really be our only hope, and your help could really be crucial in allowing others to receive their passports.

Thanks very much.

goldencreeper

Post by goldencreeper » Fri May 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Hello,
I am having the same problem :? and they have asked me to change the name in Indian Passport. I know we cant change the name or surrender your Indian passport :roll: without getting an Indian Passport...not sure what to do now..

I have emailed the Indian embassy for clarification.

Please anyone who has sorted this issue could help me?

Thanks

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 pm

goldencreeper wrote:Hello,
I am having the same problem :? and they have asked me to change the name in Indian Passport. I know we cant change the name or surrender your Indian passport :roll: without getting an Indian Passport...not sure what to do now..

Thanks
Please take a look at this link where there is discussion going on about same topic.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 am

goldencreeper wrote:Hello,

Thanks
It appears from this website you can surrender your India passport without reapplying for another one:
Renunciation / Surrender of Indian Passports

The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian Passport / acquiring Indian Passport / travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.

Under the Indian law, Persons of Indian Origin who have acquired foreign Nationality are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship.
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/Surrender.htm ... provisions

From the above the requirement is to surrender the passport immediately after naturalisation (it doesn't say after obtaining a new foreign (British) passport).
So surely you can surrender India passport, submit the document as proof to HMPO - for them to continue with application for British passport.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

goldencreeper

Post by goldencreeper » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks but when you look into the documents you require to surrender the passport they are requesting a copy of British passport. I called and verified as well.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:39 am

goldencreeper wrote:Thanks but when you look into the documents you require to surrender the passport they are requesting a copy of British passport. I called and verified as well.
In my view you're better off clicking on this link and read information, where a member had similar situation, and continue there as that link has some useful information.