ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to apply spouse to become a british Citizen?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SpringSunset
Newly Registered

How to apply spouse to become a british Citizen?

Post by SpringSunset » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:38 am

Dear All,

your help is much appreciated.

Currently, I am british Citizen and living in the Netherlands. My wife is Chinese. She is registered as an EU family member in the Netherlands as spouse of British Citizen.

I heard from some lawyers that we can apply her to be British Citizen after living in Europe for certain years based on EU law. However we are not sure
1) if this is true or if this is possible
2) if it is true how we can apply? what kind of documents need? how we can start to prepare? we did not apply any spouse visa before as she came to EU to reunion with me 2.5 years ago.

thanks for your help

kind regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: How to apply spouse to become a british Citizen?

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Not true. Residence in the UK (for several years) is required.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:54 pm

I suggest you take advice from the same "some lawyers" about the procedure. If these " some lawyers " are in UK, then please let me know their details. I want to inform police, so that these "some lawyers" can be locked up under the mental health act.

n2o
Newly Registered

Post by n2o » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 pm

PrestonLancs wrote:I suggest you take advice from the same "some lawyers" about the procedure. If these " some lawyers " are in UK, then please let me know their details. I want to inform police, so that these "some lawyers" can be locked up under the mental health act.
I almost choked while downing a cuppa - of course I spurted it out & now my computer screen & keyboard are covered in tea.

Preston, I concur with your comments - for the OP question - directly from the UK Government website

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

Have to leave to wipe this thing clean ....

SpringSunset
Newly Registered

Re: How to apply spouse to become a british Citiz staying in

Post by SpringSunset » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks for your help! however, as both of us live in the Netherlands, is there any EU law to accept my wife to apply british citizenship if she stay in NL with me?

thanks

kunbin

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 pm

British citizenship is based on British Nationality Act not EU rules.
So - No.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

SpringSunset
Newly Registered

Post by SpringSunset » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:52 am

@Jumbo, really appreciate your help and information. This is what we found out as well.

Could we just apply for my wife ILR after living in the Netherlands for certain years, ( i heard it is 4 years). Is this true? Thanks a lot !

does it mean we can live abroad for 4 years. In the forth year, she will need to back to the UK to attend life in the UK test. once it past, she can back to the UK to apply for ILR.

Now the question is if this is correct, what kind of visa we can apply her to enter the UK sometimes if we want to visit UK. (Famliy? Tourist? or...?) I heard this will affect the future ILR application.

please help to advice!

All best

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:45 pm

The '4 year concession'' was withdrawn in 2012. It now requires 5 years of residence in the UK to qualify for ILR, even for those who have been married for 4 years or more and living together outside of the UK. Unfortunately, you've missed the boat by 3 years.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.